littleangels        English Nanny

Thread: Just got visa in NY

Just got visa in NY

Two weeks ago I got a Visa in NY on the same day. I am a US citizen. Paid $300, for 3-month single entry. Was very efficient really. They did require an HIV test though but accepted a Russian test. No letter from employer was required.

One rule they stated is that you must wait a minimum of 5 days after getting the visa to enter Russia. Luckily, that fit perfectly with my travel plans.

Regarding non-Americans, the only thing I noticed was there was an announcement that Canadians had to wait a minimum of two weeks for their visas, while EU citizens (not including GB, Ireland, and Denmark if memory serves) could get any type of visa in 6-10 days for $100.

All this info was pretty much exactly what is stated at the consulate website, although I think there it says that HIV tests are needed only for one-year visas.

One Year Visas?

I'm just wondering, is the one year visa a work visa? I would like to go to St. Petersburg to be with my fiancee for a year while we work out the details of her visa to Canada.

I've communicated with a few schools. Most of the say that they don't arrange work visas for students. However, once in St. Petersburg, I can get a work visa?

I'm wondering:
    1) Is a one year visa a work visa?
    2) If I don't have the proper visa, but I have a visa to work in Russia for a year, what are the chances of being able to live peacably in Russia for one year without being harrassed by authorities?

Once you are in St Petes you should be able to find a school that will help you get some type of work visa if they like you You'll have to go to the schools and talk to them. I know someone who just got his.
    There is a 1 year multiple entry buisness visa but it is not really a work visa but the schools don;t seem to care. No cops will bother you. The trouble is the 1 year ME bus visa has restrictions on it now so you had better do your homework on this before you get a visa. There are other options but someone else should help you here because you might be better off coming on a 3 month biz visa. I'm not sure on this.
    Last edited by DDT; 08-08-2008 at 01:24.

Quote Originally Posted by matesol View Post
    I'm just wondering, is the one year visa a work visa? I would like to go to St. Petersburg to be with my fiancee for a year while we work out the details of her visa to Canada.

I've communicated with a few schools. Most of the say that they don't arrange work visas for students. However, once in St. Petersburg, I can get a work visa?

I'm wondering:
    1) Is a one year visa a work visa?
    2) If I don't have the proper visa, but I have a visa to work in Russia for a year, what are the chances of being able to live peacably in Russia for one year without being harrassed by authorities?
    They can't arrange work visas for students as studying is not a legal purpose for a work visa. If you are going to study with them, they should be able to arrange a student visa for you. You can teach while on a student visa (which can be good for up to one year and can be renewed in-country) - so long as your "primary purpose" is studying.

As to your other questions - Business visas also come in one year format, but have the 90-day restriction (you need to be in 90-days and then out 90-days). Work visas don't have this restriction. Once inside Russia, you can swap the business visa for a work visa, if you find a school willing to sponser you for one.

As to your last question - possibility of coming with a 3-mo visa and staying a full year (illeagly) and not getting caught are actually in your favor, in my view. However, when you try to leave the country, you will have MAJOR problems. You will pay fines, have to wait for a special "exit visa," miss any flight you may have booked, etc., before they will let you through passport control. If you don't have a work visa set when your 3-mo runs out, I recommend you leave then and there.

Strange... I too recently got a 3 month, double-entry biz visa in the USA. Did everything by mail so it was incredibly easy. Did NOT need HIV test & did NOT have 5 days waiting period.

It's expensive to keep returning to the States, but it's nice to not even have to show up at the consulate...

Quote Originally Posted by johnsemlak View Post
    Two weeks ago I got a Visa in NY on the same day. I am a US citizen. Paid $300, for 3-month single entry. Was very efficient really. They did require an HIV test though but accepted a Russian test. No letter from employer was required.

One rule they stated is that you must wait a minimum of 5 days after getting the visa to enter Russia. Luckily, that fit perfectly with my travel plans.

Regarding non-Americans, the only thing I noticed was there was an announcement that Canadians had to wait a minimum of two weeks for their visas, while EU citizens (not including GB, Ireland, and Denmark if memory serves) could get any type of visa in 6-10 days for $100.

All this info was pretty much exactly what is stated at the consulate website, although I think there it says that HIV tests are needed only for one-year visas.

Hi, could you please tell me which visa agency you used? I'm in NYC and may need to figure out a way to get my visa processed quickly if I don't receive the letter of invitation I've been waiting for. Many thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Proper Bostonian View Post
    Strange... I too recently got a 3 month, double-entry biz visa in the USA. Did everything by mail so it was incredibly easy. Did NOT need HIV test & did NOT have 5 days waiting period.

It's expensive to keep returning to the States, but it's nice to not even have to show up at the consulate...
    Bostonian, wait, and you don't even have to wait any time after the previous visa? Or if you're taking 3-month visas every time, you don't have to wait in between (as long as you keep on paying for ticket?)?

As many here, I use Liga Consulting for my visa invitation.

unfortunately, it's true that if you want to avoid the 3 months in, 3 months out that pertains to a 1 year ME visa, the only way to get around it is by doing 3 month visas. I'm waiting for my TRP & hope that I'll receive it before this 3 month visa expires. I'll do another one or a 1 month tourist visa if I haven't received the TRP in time, but am hoping to squeak by. If I wasn't applying for the TRP am not sure how I'd handle things as neither available option is palatable. Good luck.