littleangels        English Nanny

Thread: Russia then UK

Russia then UK

Does anyone know if its possible to get married in russia and then have a seperate wedding in the uk?

thanks

I got married in Russia and then had a blessing in my parents church in the UK (more for them then us).

The marriage in Russia is the "legal" bit.

I got married in Russia and then my godmother has arranged a church blessing for me and my English husband in slovenia (lake bled) which turned out cheaper than organising it in the UK, it was absolutely amazing! Can't see any problems in getting a blessing in the UK either. Though you should keep in mind that from a legal perspective the date when you get married in Russia will count.

If I decided to get married in the uk (to my russian girlfriend) what documents would be need to be done?

Quote Originally Posted by vs51 View Post
    If I decided to get married in the uk (to my russian girlfriend) what documents would be need to be done?
    What I know for sure is that you first need to obtain a fiancee visa for your Russian girlfriend, otherwise it would be contrary to immigration rules. As for the precise set of documents I am not entirely sure, but you can always check it with your local registry office unless you want a church wedding.

I've found a link but I don't know whether it lists all the necessary requirements:
    legal laws marriage in the UK, England, Wales & Scotland - Wedding-Service UK

I don't know whether they are asking for a Certificate of no impediment in the UK, if they do, your girlfriend will have to go to her a local registry office, get a relevant "spravka" and get it apostilled.

One major rule - if you are asked to submit any documents issued by Russian authorities try and find out whether they need to be apostilled (as this is normally the case).

@VS51 Check the Br. Embassy Moscow website. You will find there useful information as to your question of marrying a Russian in the UK.

VITOLIER
    A woman is just a woman, but a fine cigar is a smoke.