littleangels        English Nanny

Thread: Pub opening hours in UK

Pub opening hours in UK

Does anyone know what the current situation regarding pub opening hours in the UK is?

Wasn't there some talk of extending them before the last election?

I want to die like my grandfather - smiling in his sleep. Not screaming with horror, like his passengers.

Braders Guest
    They was supposed to be a trial period in Manchester about 7-8 years ago...yeah right

I heard recently they tried one in Newcastle, DaveUK is that true?

DPG Guest
    It's bloody strange when you get back home, get to a bar and at 10:50 this strange bell starts ringing or the lights are dipped for a couple of seconds...guess we are spoilt in Moscow with the "open until the last customer" thing - or at least "open until we start vacuuming under the legs of the last customer after we have turned off the music and all the lights"!

Braders Guest
    I know what you mean DPG...i too felt the same way and still do when i go home...it's almost like Manchester is the foreign city now.

Sessions back home have to start at 3pm Sunday's are the worse the Bell rings it's deathly toll at 10.20PM!, Childrens BBC is still on at that time

DaveUKagain Guest
    Hi Braders - no idea, mate. ;-) Hardly ever drink, here. Generally, most pubs seem to open about midday and close about 11pm. The trial period wasn`t very successful as - well, there`s not much trade in the daytime. Plus, over here, the Government are on a moral crusade to stop us smoking, and they`re making a lot of noises about public disorder and alcohol at the moment....... costs to police city centres on Saturday night, I suppose. Manchester is the usual dangerous war zone on Saturday night, as ever it was...... ;-)

Originally posted by DaveUKagain
    Manchester is the usual dangerous war zone on Saturday night, as ever it was...... ;-)
    But that's just part of its charm!

I thought the 'lock-in' system was more or less established these days, especially in the more remoter parts? Loud cries of 'oh well, if we DO have to leave, SEE YOU ALL TOMORROW' and then walk out the front door and round to the back again to start all over. Common custom 'down our way'
    It's hard to look innocent when I got cookie crumbs all over my face

DaveUKagain Guest
    Yep, number of times I`ve been accidentally locked in the local, scrabbling vainly at the door, trying to get out - failed and had to keep m`self from starvation somehow..... ;-))) Gave up recreational drinking some time ago, though......

Braders Guest
    Can't beat Moscow for a lock-in though

The owners of the London Pub used to leave us guys at 11.30 pm with 1 security guy to pull our own beer and settle up when we wanted....if only more pubs here operated like that

ReturnOfBroadmoor Guest
    Originally posted by Braders
    Can't beat Moscow for a lock-in though

The owners of the London Pub used to leave us guys at 11.30 pm with 1 security guy to pull our own beer and settle up when we wanted....if only more pubs here operated like that
    Reminds me of a story this guy Sid told me, about how this bar called 3 Monkeys would leave him alone to pull his own..................

geordie Guest
    In the Toon more or less every bar worth its salt is open till 1am, clubs 2-4am...