Thread: Awareness

On the Yellow Brick Road, near El Dorado...

Awareness

Can anyone please explain the difference between these two words?

сознанием

осознанием

How does the addition of the "o" in front of "сознанием" alter the meaning? What does the "o" by itself mean?
    "Defund the Social Sciences." - Fantastika, 2020

Quote Originally Posted by TheInterocitor View Post
    Can anyone please explain the difference between these two words?

сознанием

осознанием

How does the addition of the "o" in front of "сознанием" alter the meaning? What does the "o" by itself mean?
    As a verb, «осознать» means “realize”, the difference with «знать» being that the latter is something you know in general, in principle, while the former means “to pass from a state of not knowing into a state of knowing”.

The noun “сознание” just means “consciousness”, what you know in general with others when you open your eyes, as opposed to «совесть», which just means “conscience”.

«Осознанием» would just mean “realization”.

Quote Originally Posted by rusmeister View Post
    As a verb, «осознать» means “realize”, the difference with «знать» being that the latter is something you know in general, in principle, while the former means “to pass from a state of not knowing into a state of knowing”.

The noun “сознание” just means “consciousness”, what you know in general with others when you open your eyes, as opposed to «совесть», which just means “conscience”.

good explanation! hat off!
    There is no greater treasure then pleasure....

Quote Originally Posted by rusmeister View Post

I was trying to figure out the difference between "consciousness" and "awareness". I ran it through the Yandex translator and got that pair - the same basic word, one with an "o" in front of it.

Would it be fair to say the consciousness is knowing you know. (Being aware that you are aware). And that "awareness" is knowing based on previous experience, so you can make decisions based on previous stored data?

Quote Originally Posted by TheInterocitor View Post
    I was trying to figure out the difference between "consciousness" and "awareness". I ran it through the Yandex translator and got that pair - the same basic word, one with an "o" in front of it.

Would it be fair to say the consciousness is knowing you know. (Being aware that you are aware). And that "awareness" is knowing based on previous experience, so you can make decisions based on previous stored data?
    Those questions depend on your perception; whether you perceive truth, or not. If not, could be just mental masturbation.
    If you're going to be dumb, you better be tough...

Quote Originally Posted by bydand View Post
    Those questions depend on your perception; whether you perceive truth, or not. If not, could be just mental masturbation.
    Perception is recording data that you receive through your senses.

Truth is agreement - if we agree that red sports cars are cool, then that is truth.

Truth is also that which I think is truth. What's true for me may not be true for you.

Truth is what I have seen with my own eyes. What I have perceived.

Truth is also what I accept from "authority". I used to accept Newsmax and Fox, even Yahoo!, as "authority" - what they broadcast was "true (for me). However I no longer consider them an "authority". Or I can "modify" authority to make it true for me. For example, If Rus says "eating oranges is good for your health". I prefer eating kiwi's. I say to myself "eating fruit is good for your health" and I consider we are in agreement on this "truth."