Thread: anothe recipe for a russsian cold soup, Turia, also a nice -diating- soup

anothe recipe for a russsian cold soup, Turia, also a nice -diating- soup

I found this recipe,many years ago already, in a ( translated) old Monastery recipe book. Written still in the old -church russian- which of course i could not read. but the new russian language was ok for me.
    When i asked my young cooks if they ever had heard of it, the reply was a unisono -no,never have heard of it-.
    Only the old dishwasher -mamas- knew it. because when they were kids they still had to eat it during the lenten fasting periods.
    And it was made indeed only with cold water and stale bread. Some pickled cabbage.Salt and pepper.

Cold soup Turia, холодный суп Турия, in russian language, was actually a fasting soup eaten by the monks and nuns in the monasteries. made basically only from WATER and -old -bread. it was not prepared to taste. but to give a full stomach and easy the hunger ... Should the -Bruder Küchenmeister - have some fresh cabbage leaves or pickled cabbage leftover, he could have added that.And some salt and pepper for taste.
    One should really use old and hard bread for this oup. Thinly sliced. Try that with hard bread....So it can also be broken up into -bite size -pieces.
    Or fresh bread dried in the oven. Only black bread is being used. Borodini or -Rizhskaya-.
    When using fresh,soft bread, it will soak up all the liquid and turn into a mush.
    of course in the restaurants i could not use -cold water-.-We cant feed to the guests bread and water and charge them for it-...
    So we use a good cold bouillon, brown or -Lipetsk white Kvass-.
    No need for a recipe, because the ingredients are given in the article already.
    I also tried to find a photo on the Internet. to no avail. looks like Chef Goggle does not know it....
    There is no greater treasure then pleasure....

addition...
    funny though, this soup seems to be known also in AUSTRIA. -Consulting - with a Chef there, she told me that she is using garlic croutons and KOMBUCHA. In Russia of course -we- knew about it already since ancient times. - Chaini grib -, who does not know waht that is...But the -modern - name sounds much more -sexy-.. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kombucha
    There is no greater treasure then pleasure....