Thread: Turkey - Inflation at 78%?

On the Yellow Brick Road, near El Dorado...

Turkey - Inflation at 78%?

https://www.ekathimerini.com/news/11...-24-year-high/

What gives? Turkey is not subject to sanctions, and also maintains relations with both Ukraine and Russia. They are able to trade freely with both sides easily. Unless I am misinformed?

TurkStat’s figures have been questioned by economists, who allege the agency is subject to political pressure. The dismissals and resignations of senior TurkStat officials in recent months have added to claims of government interference.

AHA, so I'm thinking it's just your usual media hype, an exaggeration...

The Inflation Research Group, which is made up of independent economists, on Monday said Turkey’s true level of annual inflation for June was 175.55%. [AP]

Noooo, it's under-estimated ...

This is "Weimer Republic-type" inflation...

If gas is going to be $100/gallon, I'll have to move to the big city and ride around on a public scooter...
    "Defund the Social Sciences." - Fantastika, 2020

Turkey,being NOT an EU member, has problems exporting goods to there.
    Though it makes me wonder why? there are many other countries,via Trabzon to Russia for instance, where Pascha Erdogan has no problems.
    But besides early fruit, citrus very often and strawberries, what else do they have? the Tourists?
    I as an Austrian for instance, will NEVER AGAIN go to Turkey on vacation. being treated already at the airport like -sh---, they can keep their Hagia Sophia and their bazaars... ( Austria is EU,Turkey not, i needed a visa and at the airport we -foreigners - were treated like the last scum).
    There is no greater treasure then pleasure....

Quote Originally Posted by Benedikt View Post
    Turkey,being NOT an EU member, has problems exporting goods to there.
    Though it makes me wonder why? there are many other countries,via Trabzon to Russia for instance, where Pascha Erdogan has no problems.
    But besides early fruit, citrus very often and strawberries, what else do they have? the Tourists?
    I as an Austrian for instance, will NEVER AGAIN go to Turkey on vacation. being treated already at the airport like -sh---, they can keep their Hagia Sophia and their bazaars... ( Austria is EU,Turkey not, i needed a visa and at the airport we -foreigners - were treated like the last scum).
    What happened at the airport? I was thinking about going to Antalya later this summer, I've never been to Turkey. Maybe you just had a bad attitude that day? You need a visa to go there? As an Austrian, not a Russian? Tell them you're a Russian oligarch, from Moscow!

There's not enough staff at the US airports, so half the flights are canceled.

Quote Originally Posted by TheInterocitor View Post
    What happened at the airport? I was thinking about going to Antalya later this summer, I've never been to Turkey. Maybe you just had a bad attitude that day? You need a visa to go there? As an Austrian, not a Russian? Tell them you're a Russian oligarch, from Moscow!

There's not enough staff at the US airports, so half the flights are canceled.
    for the time being i am still an Austrian Citizen, despite having my PRP. ...But the airport does not accept that. it is an *internal document-. So i had to show my Austrian Passport. and there were 2 seperate lines.-foreigners and EU- passport holders. and the -other line...
    we were instructed already on the plane from Moscow coming what will happen to -us-. We must hold our passport open with the photo showing. and have a 10 EURO note ready.Not $$$ not Rubles and of course no Turkish Lira... The two clowns in their booth sitting there did not even stop their conversation. they threw the money , standing on the floor, into a big cardboard box. if you did not have a 10 $ note, no change will be given. Also NO 10x 1 $ or 2 x 5$.only ONE 10 $ Note... and they banged a stamp into the passport without even looking up or stopping their conversation.a -good day, welcome to turkey- or the likes of course was for sure not on their minds.
    sure, that was quite a few years back, but i wonder if much has changed at passport control now?

Quote Originally Posted by Benedikt View Post
    for the time being i am still an Austrian Citizen, despite having my PRP. ...But the airport does not accept that. it is an *internal document-. So i had to show my Austrian Passport. and there were 2 seperate lines.-foreigners and EU- passport holders. and the -other line...
    we were instructed already on the plane from Moscow coming what will happen to -us-. We must hold our passport open with the photo showing. and have a 10 EURO note ready.Not $$$ not Rubles and of course no Turkish Lira... The two clowns in their booth sitting there did not even stop their conversation. they threw the money , standing on the floor, into a big cardboard box. if you did not have a 10 $ note, no change will be given. Also NO 10x 1 $ or 2 x 5$.only ONE 10 $ Note... and they banged a stamp into the passport without even looking up or stopping their conversation.a -good day, welcome to turkey- or the likes of course was for sure not on their minds.
    sure, that was quite a few years back, but i wonder if much has changed at passport control now?
    Bennie, you have the wrong body shape, they did not notice you. I (NOT) like the airport in Moscow, where everyone crowds in front of me at passport control. Did you go to Antalya? What was your vacation like? Did you stay at hotel or AirBnb? Could you get around in German, Russian, English?

Quote Originally Posted by TheInterocitor View Post
    Bennie, you have the wrong body shape, they did not notice you. I (NOT) like the airport in Moscow, where everyone crowds in front of me at passport control. Did you go to Antalya? What was your vacation like? Did you stay at hotel or AirBnb? Could you get around in German, Russian, English?
    at the airport, the -transfer bus- was about a mile away, we all had to look for it ourselves. the -transfer guide - was just not to be found...at that time the hotel busses were not allowed to park closer to the terminal. THAT was for the VIP hotels and MERCEDES taxis...
    than the driver at the end could not find our hotel, they had started digging up the road, for what reasons ever, the driver ahd to take a detour. and we ended up in the -bush-.than we were dropped at a different hotel, in all about 10 people, a -dump- actually. though we all insisted on- our - hotel, were we finally arrived after a 2h drive and 4 h delay. and were asked to wait in the lobby, with a warm -welcome- drink. because the rooms were not ready from the previous check out.
    The place was FULL.
    And they were expecting still one more bus. Never know to this day what they did with the people who apparently also had booked here.
    We went to Antalya one -all paid for- except -imported Alcohol -. but the local beer was not to bad, so i did not mind..
    Working in hospitality and knowing my way around, we tipped our headwaiter, the room maid and a few other people already on the FIRST day...
    I pretended that i do not speak or understand russian and a little bit of english language only. And i must say what a disgrace the people were.
    Wonder though if the barmen did understand. Because security was always there before some serious fighting between the drunks broke out.

We never had to stand in line with the rest of the -plebs-, never had to get up at 4 am to -reserve - our place at the beach. as the Germans like to do and are famous for it. so We always had cold beer, tea (for my wife) at the beginning of lunch or dinner. and a few other things as well....