Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Flights on the Irkut SSJ100

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,366
    Thanked: 786

    Flights on the Irkut SSJ100

    Anyone want to fly on the Irkut SSJ100 to Muscat?

    "Russian carriers are collaborating on developing new hubs in the south of Russia from where the locally made Irkut SSJ100 can reach popular destinations in Asia and Northern Africa.

    The most convenient location is the airport in Adler (Sochi), from where the SSJ100-95LR can fly as far as Mumbai (4,150 km) and Goa International (4,470 km) in India, while the shorter-legged SSJ100-95B can reach Istanbul, Ankara, Cairo, Jerusalem, Muscat, and Almaty.

    Adler lies 1,400 km south of Moscow. After the European Union closed its airspace to Russian carriers, banned deliveries of airplanes and components to Russian companies, and demanded the return of all leased aircraft, Adler drew interest from airlines as a hub connecting Russia with the outside world.

    Unlike a dozen other airports in Russia's south, temporarily closed due to their close proximity to Ukraine, Sochi continues to operate without restrictions. Airlines fly passengers to the Adler airport first, using an Airbus or Boeing airplane—which Western owners can confiscate outside of Russia—and then transport them on Superjets to final destinations."

    Ainonline

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    here,since many years
    Posts
    17,687
    Thanked: 3709
    Airlines fly passengers to the Adler airport first, using an Airbus or Boeing airplane—which Western owners can confiscate outside of Russia—and then transport them on Superjets to final destinations."

    so much for sanctions. it might take longer to get to somewhere, might cost a little bit more. but where there is a will, there is a plane.and a destination to fly to...
    There is no greater treasure then pleasure....

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,366
    Thanked: 786
    Quote Originally Posted by Benedikt View Post
    [COLOR="#FF0000"] but where there is a will, there is a plane.and a destination to fly to...
    Right you are!

    My wife and I are thinking of going to Finland by train and bus this summer. I went from Finland to the USSR and back in the 80's by car a few times. Interesting trek.

    For many Russians it is like old times in the early 90's when Turkey didn't ask for visas from Russian citizens and was the place to go.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    6,443
    Thanked: 2668
    Quote Originally Posted by xt-tsi View Post
    Anyone want to fly on the Irkut SSJ100 to Muscat?

    "Russian carriers are collaborating on developing new hubs in the south of Russia from where the locally made Irkut SSJ100 can reach popular destinations in Asia and Northern Africa.

    The most convenient location is the airport in Adler (Sochi), from where the SSJ100-95LR can fly as far as Mumbai (4,150 km) and Goa International (4,470 km) in India, while the shorter-legged SSJ100-95B can reach Istanbul, Ankara, Cairo, Jerusalem, Muscat, and Almaty.

    Adler lies 1,400 km south of Moscow. After the European Union closed its airspace to Russian carriers, banned deliveries of airplanes and components to Russian companies, and demanded the return of all leased aircraft, Adler drew interest from airlines as a hub connecting Russia with the outside world.

    Unlike a dozen other airports in Russia's south, temporarily closed due to their close proximity to Ukraine, Sochi continues to operate without restrictions. Airlines fly passengers to the Adler airport first, using an Airbus or Boeing airplane—which Western owners can confiscate outside of Russia—and then transport them on Superjets to final destinations."

    Ainonline
    Adler is a nice place on its own, my wife was down there last year, but went by train, a double decker no less.
    If you trust the government you obviously failed history class. " George Carlin"

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    here,since many years
    Posts
    17,687
    Thanked: 3709
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Wally View Post
    Adler is a nice place on its own, my wife was down there last year, but went by train, a double decker no less.
    and the prices are far less than in Sochi as such...only -problem-. the airport...
    There is no greater treasure then pleasure....

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    There and back again
    Posts
    15,838
    Thanked: 1748
    Quote Originally Posted by Benedikt View Post
    and the prices are far less than in Sochi as such...only -problem-. the airport...
    Sochi/Adler new airport is rather nice, but may appear crowdy in this situation. I visited in both old (Sep 2005) and new (Nov 2019), earth and sky...
    All the world's Kremlin,
    And all the men and women merely agents

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    6,443
    Thanked: 2668
    Quote Originally Posted by Benedikt View Post
    and the prices are far less than in Sochi as such...only -problem-. the airport...
    Yes, it was cheap there, my wife went to Sochi too and said it was only for rich people now.
    If you trust the government you obviously failed history class. " George Carlin"

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    here,since many years
    Posts
    17,687
    Thanked: 3709
    Airport in Adler i mean actually the -noise- of starting and landing planes.
    the airport, is actually an interesting story. for ten years the - skeleton - was standing there empty. - no money - Sochi said... to finish it.
    Moscow got for Sochi the Olympics. And of course it needed an airport. Deripaska and the Austrian STRABAG got it. and the palce was finished and running in under a year... of course only envious people would say, well the Austrians got it because Oleg was a partner in the company...
    STRABAG to be fair was already that time a big builder in Moscow. and on quite a few places one could see their signs.The Austrians wanted to expand in Russia, not leaving the playing field to the Turks alone ( remember how fast the built up the burned out hulk of the White House?) So they got Deripaska as local partner.
    Oleg though has Austrian -connections -. His father was killed during WW2, dont remember the name of the village, and Oleg build a -chapel- there to remember him. And this got on very well with the locals. because everything was done by local companies...
    that was many years ago...
    There is no greater treasure then pleasure....

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    here,since many years
    Posts
    17,687
    Thanked: 3709
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Wally View Post
    Yes, it was cheap there, my wife went to Sochi too and said it was only for rich people now.
    same as in Moscow the GUM and TSUM. AND in bith places a tourist rip off. same as the Old and New Arbat. Now.no more tourists, no more rich and famous, or those who think they are...
    There is no greater treasure then pleasure....

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •