Thread: Happy Easter ( Sunday) for all who celebrate the feast this weekend...

Happy Easter ( Sunday) for all who celebrate the feast this weekend...

and of course, the most important one, for the kids at least.Where had the Easter Bunny Hidden the coilored eggs? And the chocolates? and the sweets? and the, whatever, only the more the better...
    But where does the story with the Easter Bunny come from? In Russia we have the Kulich and -Pascha-.AND also the colored eggs. What does the -West - have? and ,most probably since they are not of orthodox faith, what is happening there? ...

Where does the custom of the Easter bunny come from?

The hare is considered a fertility symbol and already appears in Egyptian mythology. The idea of the rabbit as an Easter "egg-bringer" is documented for the first time in the 17th century - namely in Germany. At that time, Meister Lampe was mentioned as a bearer of colored eggs by a Frankfurt doctor who was doing his doctorate in Heidelberg (the dissertation was entitled "De ovis paschalibus - von Oster-Eyern"). According to him, the custom is said to have originated in Alsace, the Palatinate and the Upper Rhine.

Why shouldn't eggs be missing at Easter?

The egg is an ancient symbol of fertility, the origin of life, being and becoming. As early as 5000 BC, brightly painted eggs were eaten for the spring festival. The giving of colorful eggs, which is common today, can even be traced back to the ancient Chinese. Until the 15th century, "Easter eggs" were also understood to mean an "interest egg to be delivered by Easter". The eggs laid on Maundy Thursday or Good Friday were also said by popular belief to have a preventive and blessing effect. Decorated Easter eggs are first mentioned in 1615.

What does the custom of blessing food (consecration of meat) go back to?

The custom of blessing food at Easter - mistakenly called meat consecration - is usually cultivated especially in Austria, Bavaria and South Tyrol. It can be traced back to the 7th century. Foods such as meat and eggs, the consumption of which was forbidden in the strict medieval Lenten order, gained special significance and strength in popular belief due to the Easter blessing.

What does a traditional Easter snack consist of?

A juicy smoked ham, a few hard eggs with colorful shells, a slice of dark bread, then another short piece of the germ dough pinze - this is how many Austrians traditionally enjoy breakfast on Easter morning. Of course, horseradish and eggs should not be missing either!

Why do we light an Easter candle?

The custom of a special Easter candle, liturgical praise in the celebration of Easter and at the same time offering and blessing, first appeared in Piacenza in 384. Over the centuries, this symbol of the risen Christ received its present form and design. On the front side, a cross is inscribed with wax, over which the first (alpha) and the last (omega) letter of the Greek alphabet can be read. The Easter candle is lit at every service and baptism until the Feast of the Ascension of Christ.
    There is no greater treasure then pleasure....

Thanks! (Button not available)

But I can't help noticing that the actual point of Easter (aka "Pascha") is lost in all of these unimportant and quickly forgotten ideas. The actual point is that a Man who was actually the incarnation of God Himself accepted death, defeated it, and thereby made it possible for all of us to survive death itself. I mean, the news that death is not forever is slightly more important than a highly unimportant "Easter Bunny", even with eggs, food, and candles, wouldn't you say?

Those things are all distraction from what really matters about the holiday, IMO. It would be like telling Russians that Victory Day is about an imaginary "G.I. Ivan", who dances around brings toys to kids, and leaving out all of that unpleasant stuff about the near defeat and destruction of Russia by the Germans, and eventual victory over them.

See you next week!

i think most ,if not all of these Holidays, Christian , Orthodox, Jewish, Moslem have lost their original meaning. and are just here for one thing, making money or having a party and getting drunk...

In AUSTRAI the Protestans are arguing now that they want to have Good Friday as a - paid - holiday. Because, as they claim, without death there would be no resurection. And they would be prepared to give up Easter Monday, which is a holiday in Austria for the Catholics instead.
    They also have forgotten what Easter was all about...

On the Yellow Brick Road, near El Dorado...
    When I was in Togliatti, the boys came to the door. I answered, they put out paper bags. Не понял. They said, "Яйца". Eggs? Raw eggs? Then I understand, but I did not have any cooked or decorated eggs, so i gave them 100 rubles. It was 23 rubles to 1 dollar then. They were all smiles.
    "Defund the Social Sciences." - Fantastika, 2020

Quote Originally Posted by TheInterocitor View Post
    When I was in Togliatti, the boys came to the door. I answered, they put out paper bags. Не понял. They said, "Яйца". Eggs? Raw eggs? Then I understand, but I did not have any cooked or decorated eggs, so i gave them 100 rubles. It was 23 rubles to 1 dollar then. They were all smiles.
    one Russia ntradition i never have heard of. anz more? or if anyone else knows moer,please post...

Since Easter comes on the first Sunday after the spring equinox, to me it is a celebration of the beginning of spring. Finally! (in Moscow especially). Easter is believed to have pagan origins having to do with fertility and rebirth. Makes interesting reading:

https://www.history.co.uk/articles/t...f%20the%20days.

Quote Originally Posted by xt-tsi View Post
    Since Easter comes on the first Sunday after the spring equinox, to me it is a celebration of the beginning of spring. Finally! (in Moscow especially). Easter is believed to have pagan origins having to do with fertility and rebirth. Makes interesting reading:

most of the - catholic - celebrations are like that. suppose -the man in Rome- and his underlings out in the provinces could see that one could not get the -unwashed masses - and the -unbelieve pagans - away from their gods and celebrations. so - if you cant fight them, join them-.
    the link is indeed good. does make for interesting reading.

The Spring equinox is on the 21st of March, in Moscow it's on the 18th of March.
    If you trust the government you obviously failed history class. " George Carlin"

Quote Originally Posted by Benedikt View Post
    most of the - catholic - celebrations are like that.
    Another topic I find fascinating is how Roman Catholicism inherited many pagan and Roman beliefs and practices.

That said, who doesn't attach some kind of spiritual importance to Easter? I do. However, I don't celebrate the Catholic Easter any more. I've switched to the Russian orthodox one...for whatever difference it makes.

It's only interesting to people who have never heard those tired old claims (and who have certainly never heard the refutations).

It's written by people who WANT to believe that stuff. They have no clue of Christian apologetics. That's one reason I've mentioned people like Lewis and Chesterton, who tear through the "pagan roots of Easter" like tissue paper.

Their narrative is much sadder. Death is final, game over, nobody will rise from the dead, eat, drink, and be merry until suddenly you and your loved ones face ultimately meaningless suffering and death.

Lewis wrote one of the best responses to that sad narrative in a children's book, "The Silver Chair" (from the Chronicles of Narnia), the context being that the heroes are imprisoned in an underground world and having an enchantment being cast on them to convince them there IS no "land above" with sun and sky. Puddleglum ( a literary hero to me) stamps his foot in her magic fire to snuff it out:

“One word, Ma’am,” he said, coming back from the fire; limping because of the pain. “One word. All you’ve been saying is quite right, I shouldn’t wonder. I’m a chap who always liked to know the worst and then put the best face I can on it. So I won’t deny any of what you said, even so. Suppose we have only dreamed, or made up, all those things – trees and grass and sun and moon and stars and Aslan himself. Suppose we have. Then all I can say is that, in that case, the made-up things seem a good deal more important than the real ones. Suppose this black pit of a kingdom of yours is the only world. Well, it strikes me as a pretty poor one. And that’s a funny thing, when you come to think of it. We’re just babies making up a game, if you’re right. But four babies playing a game can make a play-world that makes you real world hollow. That’s why I’m going to stand by the play-world. I’m on Aslan’s side even if there isn’t any Narnia. So, thanking you kindly for our supper, if these two gentlemen and the young lady are ready, we’re leaving your court at once and setting out in the dark to spend our lives looking for the Overland."
    From the BBC adaptation, with Tom Baker of Dr Who fame in the role:

The truth is, xt, that the pagans DREAMED the truth, if you will, they saw, or sensed, in visions, what was really true, and thus their legends of dying corn gods, etc, were prefigurations of the True Myth, the actual incarnation of God into the world as a baby.

A dramatization from Lewis's autobiography of a discussion with JRR Tolkien that changed his (then atheist) view:
    It helps to understand that Lewis was trained as a logician. He followed the logic where it went. And it certainly went away from the idea that Christ was merely a cheap copy of earlier myths.

So the good news is that Christ is indeed risen, and that means that you and I can survive our own deaths, and even possibly meet in an actual hereafter some day.