Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How are things in Russia?

Quote Originally Posted by TheInterocitor View Post
    Does bank require cell phone? I have two banks and a credit union, they all send e-mails. I don't want to rely on dumbphone!
    It's not always required, but I think it would present problems not to have it available.

Quote Originally Posted by xt-tsi View Post
    Or drink a shot of vodka, sniff your armpit and say "мануфактура"...
    The option, yeah... But манкуфактурка will sound a bit more impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Freud View Post
    Should've clarified in the previous post that I am referring to needing a cell phone with a US sim card and a US phone number that works in Russia.
    1) Your current US provider must switch the international roaming on your tariff on.
    2) Your current mobile phone must support Russian cellular RF bands (900/1800/2100 MHz). Another option is just insert your US SIM card into phone purchased in Russia.
    3) Receiving SMS is free, but if you need to send them back to your bank from US SIM in Russia, it will cost. Be sure you have enough money on your US mobile account.
    All the world's Kremlin,
    And all the men and women merely agents

The Russian government recommends its encrypted Era network.

On the Yellow Brick Road, near El Dorado...
    I tried sending a text online, with globfone.com, but it didn't work.
    "Defund the Social Sciences." - Fantastika, 2020

I'm about a month out from moving to Russia. Just call me Mr. Bad Timing because I can't imagine a worse time to try to move. Just finding plane tickets will be a chore. There's no way for us to ship household items at this time.

What can you guys tell me about the current state of affairs in Russia? How is the availability of products? How have the sanctions and other stuff affected you? Any items I should consider buying and bringing to Russia because it'll be hard to get (already bought new laptops)?
    Russia said on Monday it was preparing to restrict entry into Russia for nationals of "unfriendly" countries, which include Britain, all EU states and the United States.

https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2022/...-lavrov-a77111

Quote Originally Posted by xp@ View Post
    Russia said on Monday it was preparing to restrict entry into Russia for nationals of "unfriendly" countries, which include Britain, all EU states and the United States.

https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2022/...-lavrov-a77111

Jeez, that's inconvenient! What border of Russia is most insecure?

Just kidding!

Feels like our arrival may be delayed. I'll keep an eye on the news to see if the presidential decree actually gets enacted. If one of you guys see something more in the news please post it here.

On the Yellow Brick Road, near El Dorado...
    Jeez, that's inconvenient! What border of Russia is most insecure?

Just kidding!
    Just ask any of the millions of illegal immigrants from the 'stans, how they got there...
    "Defund the Social Sciences." - Fantastika, 2020

I'm hoping the decree only affects foreigners asking for a visa. Maybe they won't revoke the visa I already have. We'll see.

I'm no cell phone guru, but I don't think it works that way.
    What brand of phone are you using?
    Just go to the app, play store and download Skype on your phone, use your US phone number to register on Skype, you should download Telegram too, a lot of great services there,

You would have to turn on "roaming" this will allow your phone to use cell towers anywhere.
    If you trust the government you obviously failed history class. " George Carlin"

Quote Originally Posted by FatAndy View Post
    The option, yeah... But манкуфактурка will sound a bit more impressive.

1) Your current US provider must switch the international roaming on your tariff on.
    2) Your current mobile phone must support Russian cellular RF bands (900/1800/2100 MHz). Another option is just insert your US SIM card into phone purchased in Russia.
    3) Receiving SMS is free, but if you need to send them back to your bank from US SIM in Russia, it will cost. Be sure you have enough money on your US mobile account.
    Yeah what he said
    If you trust the government you obviously failed history class. " George Carlin"

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Wally View Post
    What brand of phone are you using?
    Just go to the app, play store and download Skype on your phone, use your US phone number to register on Skype, you should download Telegram too, a lot of great services there,

You would have to turn on "roaming" this will allow your phone to use cell towers anywhere.
    Samsung S10+

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12