Thread: About other sites, Facebook groups, etc.

About other sites, Facebook groups, etc.

Dear users,

Just to explain a few things so you are not surprised there some moderation here:

1. The other site we donít want to advertise was copied from this one long time ago. It was done by one of the moderators we trusted a lot. Very painful betrayal of a man lying in your eyes. God bless him! Radical users were gone, and thatís fine - we have new excellent moderators. Letís praise them as we can for what they do for us all these years! Nevertheless we would really appreciate if you donít even mention ďother siteĒ. Of course you didnít know - now you know.

2. We are trying to promote Expat.ru Facebook and Telegram pages. Again, would appreciate if you donít advertise other Expat groups here. Just of a common courtesy.

3. Weíve been always trying to keep this forum working and providing useful information to expats, and would do all necessary moderation to continue. No harmful information here. To think before posting is nice habit anyways.)

Thank you very much for understanding and being with us!

and if -you- could fix that -thank you - button, will make for sure quite a few people very happy...
    There is no greater treasure then pleasure....

Mea culpa and thanks for the clarification.

I can't thank these posts enough!

I'm against censorship in any form, but if people just come to disrupt things, take out the hammer.

I do follow expat.ru on Telegram, you should too.
    If you trust the government you obviously failed history class. " George Carlin"

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Wally View Post
    I'm against censorship in any form, but if people just come to disrupt things, take out the hammer.

what is different on Telegram, that is not here?
    There is no greater treasure then pleasure....

Quote Originally Posted by Benedikt View Post
    what is different on Telegram, that is not here?
    Actually there is nothing from here there, they just post jobs, announcements on Telegram, to follow is just a show of support.
    If you trust the government you obviously failed history class. " George Carlin"

Quote Originally Posted by Benedikt View Post
    and if -you- could fix that -thank you - button, will make for sure quite a few people very happy...
    Thank you for your support, guys! We've looked - so far Thank you modul might be added only after upgrade which is impossible without upgrading the main site which we planned to upgrade but now.. even programmers doubt it has any sense.. though.. we might do it one day. So sorry about Thank you buttom!..(( By the way, if anybody knows vbulletin please pm me!

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Wally View Post

Thank you very much! Appreciate it! There is not much to post there now but we do try to provide quality content.

On the Yellow Brick Road, near El Dorado...
    Quote Originally Posted by poulya View Post
    Thank you for your support, guys! We've looked - so far Thank you modul might be added only after upgrade which is impossible without upgrading the main site which we planned to upgrade but now.. even programmers doubt it has any sense.. though.. we might do it one day. So sorry about Thank you buttom!..(( By the way, if anybody knows vbulletin please pm me!
    PM does not work, either. I don't know vBulletin, but I know PHP. I think you are using old version of VBulletin, which is based on old version of PHP. Your "Host" (where the website is hosted) has upgraded their version of PHP, but your version of vBulletin uses an older version of PHP. Most of the PHP functions (code) are the same with the old and updated versions of PHP, but in a few functions, the function language has been modified, so some of the vBulletin options (Thank you, PM) may not work. It is similar to situation of American listening to British Cockney accent - he might understand most of what they say, but not all of it.

You could ask your host to install the old version of PHP for your website, or the vBulletin portion of it (which they probably won't do), or upgrade vBulletin so it is compatible with the host's version of PHP.

(I am just guessing at what is going on here, based on my PHP and web-hosting experience).

I have similar problem with my websites. The host and whoever is "PHP" continually update the PHP language and various parts of my websites fail, then have to be repaired. PHP is like a real language, it is continually evolving and changing. Like Englisn, or Russian -- new words and phrases appear every day...
    "Defund the Social Sciences." - Fantastika, 2020

Yes, that’s the thing - we cannot upgrade vbulletin because the main site is on the old version of PHP. We cannot make it higher - only we write a new one. We were thinking about writing it in Wordpress.. What do you think?

On the Yellow Brick Road, near El Dorado...
    Yes, that’s the thing - we cannot upgrade vbulletin because the main site is on the old version of PHP. We cannot make it higher - only we write a new one. We were thinking about writing it in Wordpress.. What do you think?
    Isn't vBulletin a separate entity? Only connected to the main website pages by clickable links?

You've asked the host if he will run the older version of PHP for expat.ru? Do they have help desk? Maybe they have solutions.

I haven't tried Wordpress yet. Wordpress has tools that make it easier to build website, the host may have some tools, too. I reserved domain "kerchbridge.com" and I want to build it using Wordpress, for public to get some reality on Donb**** etc., but I have too many other projects going on already.

I used to hire Ukrainian programmer on freelancer.com to repair my websites - it would take me a day or two to do the fixes, why bother, the expert can do it in 30 minutes for $50. But you have to trust him, if you give him password. ...
    "Defund the Social Sciences." - Fantastika, 2020

Unfortunately the forum was initially incorporated (you can login from the main page. etc.) so we tried many times to find the solution..

Unfortunately the forum was initially incorporated (you can login from the main page. etc.) so we tried many times to find the solution..
    Poulya, thanks for the word done here! It's appreciated.