Thread: So what would be the effects if the Ukrainian invasion causes SWIFT to be cut?

So what would be the effects if the Ukrainian invasion causes SWIFT to be cut?

Would I still be able to use my USA-based credit/debit card?

Quote Originally Posted by swampwiz View Post
    I always hear SWIFT only. what about the BIC codes▀ they are being used as well. Not once have I heard anything about them.https://www.theswiftcodes.com/
    There is no greater treasure then pleasure....

Quote Originally Posted by Benedikt View Post
    I always hear SWIFT only. what about the BIC codes▀ they are being used as well. Not once have I heard anything about them.https://www.theswiftcodes.com/
    BIC codes are simply the identifier of firms that use SWIFT, for example SABRRUMM identifies SberBank Moscow. They are not an exclusivity of SWIFT (the structure is defined in an ISO standard) and nothing prevents them being used in other contexts. However, SWIFT administers the codes and so this might cause a problem for any new code being created.

Quote Originally Posted by swampwiz View Post
    As far as I know, the credit card companies do not use SWIFT for processing transactions. The likelihood that US credit card companies would continue to service Russia in the event of the US government imposing sanctions on Russia is, nevertheless, extremely slim.