Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19

Thread: Coffee

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,366
    Thanked: 786

    Coffee

    Among the coffee drinkers who have that magical morning cup, what are your coffee preferences? How do you make your coffee, French press? Filter Coffee? Espresso?

    Do you prefer a dark or more medium roast? Arabica? Single origin or a blend? I don't know if you can name brand preferences here...expat might blank it out but hope you will try.

    I ask because I'm in the coffee business and when I saw the comments about how folks start their day, I couldn't help wondering what coffee is preferred.

    I switch between buying whole beans and ground coffee. I buy all the different blends sold in Moscow to see what the coffee companies are up to. Demand for fresh roasted coffee is growing and soluble is flat, or in decline. So it is interesting times for coffee, although prices of green coffee are going through the roof.

    Lately, I've been making coffee cup by cup using a porcelain filter holder that is easy to clean unlike a plastic one that can retain the rancid taste of coffee brewed earlier. I am using a paper filter. A heaping tablespoon of ground coffee gives me the necessary in the morning. That's about 10 grams. I like my coffee with hot milk, sometimes a lot of it, sometimes not much, depending on how good the coffee is. Arabicas only, my favorite coffee is usually a blend. Single origins if it is Colombia, Guatemala, Honduras, not Africa (too sweet) or Brazil (usually too commercial).

    I have an espresso maker and an automatic, making espresso's, lattes and so on. From time to time I use a French press. Or sometimes I just throw coffee into a cup and pour hot water over the top, let the grounds settle and drink it, as those who cup coffee for a living do. It's how many in Poland make coffee. I don't have a Nespresso type coffee maker. Wife is complaining, won't allow more coffee devices. Plus the Nespresso type capsules are expensive and wasteful.

    The blend I am drinking now is made by Jardin. It says Colombian Supremo on the pack but it tastes a bit commercial, doesn't have that full Supremo aroma I was hoping for. Looks to me as though Orimi, who roasts Jardin, slipped some lower grade arabica in there, maybe a Brazilian Santos, a good coffee but less aromatic. Saves costs.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Dinskaya, Krasnodarskiy Kray, Russia
    Posts
    219
    Thanked: 118
    Having spent most of my life in Belgium, inevitably my preference is for the blends that I drank there, not too dark. The one I've found that's closest to my tastes here in Russia is Paulig Classic. I'm not averse to other blends but not French Roast, way too bitter for me.
    I only make my coffee in the morning, two big mugs, black, about 25-30 grams of coffee in a filter machine with a paper filter.
    If we go out shopping, I'll take either a cappuccino or a flat white or in a a restaurant an espresso.
    When we lived in Belgium, usually for Christmas/New Year, we would buy Jamaican Blue Mountain as a special treat. The shop where we bought it ground the beans for us - no room in our kitchen for a grinder!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    6,443
    Thanked: 2668
    Xt-tsi, you may know my friend Gennady, he owns a coffee company that import coffee from Spain, you can get a free coffee maker if you buy your coffee only from him.
    If you trust the government you obviously failed history class. " George Carlin"

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    452
    Thanked: 234

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    here,since many years
    Posts
    17,687
    Thanked: 3709
    since i drink a lot of coffee, 6 or 7 MUGS a day and most of it cold, i make it that way when i was a kid my grandmother used to make it.
    one third real, freeze dried, soluble, coffee. though NOT NESCAFE they roast it to dark and it is bitter
    one third Chicory, whatever is in the shelves at AUCHAN.but nothing with berries or whatever else is added.
    one third barley ( ячмень )

    i mix everything together. more or less 100 gr of each. when i need it, 3 coffeespoons, 2 thirds of hot water.one htird milk.3 cubes sugar. It gives the taste of coffee that i want. but no heartburn or caffeine. not that the caffeine as such does bother me. but i just like the coffee like that.
    back home in Austria we also used Tize Gold Feigen Kaffee, whole figs dark roasted and pressed into cubes. gives a slight sweet flavor and a very nice dark brown color. This is not available in Russia...https://images.search.yahoo.com/sear...G&action=click
    There is no greater treasure then pleasure....

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,366
    Thanked: 786
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Wally View Post
    Xt-tsi, you may know my friend Gennady, he owns a coffee company that import coffee from Spain, you can get a free coffee maker if you buy your coffee only from him.
    Don't know Gennady...I'm in another wing of the coffee business, having contacts among brands supplying grocery retail. My contacts are there. The folks supplying machines are in another camp and I don't know them very well.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,366
    Thanked: 786
    Quote Originally Posted by Benedikt View Post
    since i drink a lot of coffee, 6 or 7 MUGS a day and most of it cold, i make it that way when i was a kid my grandmother used to make it.
    one third real, freeze dried, soluble, coffee. though NOT NESCAFE they roast it to dark and it is bitter
    one third Chicory, whatever is in the shelves at AUCHAN.but nothing with berries or whatever else is added.
    one third barley ( ячмень )

    i mix everything together. more or less 100 gr of each. when i need it, 3 coffeespoons, 2 thirds of hot water.one htird milk.3 cubes sugar. It gives the taste of coffee that i want. but no heartburn or caffeine. not that the caffeine as such does bother me. but i just like the coffee like that.
    back home in Austria we also used Tize Gold Feigen Kaffee, whole figs dark roasted and pressed into cubes. gives a slight sweet flavor and a very nice dark brown color. This is not available in Russia...https://images.search.yahoo.com/sear...G&action=click
    A very interesting blend! Most barley and chicory, which many people prefer...

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,366
    Thanked: 786
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBear View Post
    Having spent most of my life in Belgium, inevitably my preference is for the blends that I drank there, not too dark. The one I've found that's closest to my tastes here in Russia is Paulig Classic. I'm not averse to other blends but not French Roast, way too bitter for me.
    I only make my coffee in the morning, two big mugs, black, about 25-30 grams of coffee in a filter machine with a paper filter.
    If we go out shopping, I'll take either a cappuccino or a flat white or in a a restaurant an espresso.
    When we lived in Belgium, usually for Christmas/New Year, we would buy Jamaican Blue Mountain as a special treat. The shop where we bought it ground the beans for us - no room in our kitchen for a grinder!
    Flat white is a most excellent coffee drink. All that high fat milk. I like it because it is served hot. For some reason, many coffee shops have it in their heads that a latte shouldn't be served very hot.

    Belgium has some excellent coffee (and food). Did you live in the Flemish or French part?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    here,since many years
    Posts
    17,687
    Thanked: 3709
    Quote Originally Posted by xt-tsi View Post
    A very interesting blend! Most barley and chicory, which many people prefer...
    since many years, already when working actively, most of us in the kitchen were drinking -american style -coffee. not to strong, because we drank a lot. and most of the tiem with milk and sugar...
    though there is -was one brand that i liked very much. Ground or beans, King Hadhramaut from Julius Meinl. But again than, not strong. ground for filter coffee...


    https://juliusmeinl.com/products/Kin...ramaut-UTZ-(1)
    There is no greater treasure then pleasure....

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Dinskaya, Krasnodarskiy Kray, Russia
    Posts
    219
    Thanked: 118
    Quote Originally Posted by xt-tsi View Post
    Belgium has some excellent coffee (and food). Did you live in the Flemish or French part?
    At first in Brussels, then in the south of the country near the Luxembourg border.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to BigBear For This Useful Post:

    xt-tsi (15-12-2021)

  12. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,366
    Thanked: 786
    Quote Originally Posted by Benedikt View Post
    since many years, already when working actively, most of us in the kitchen were drinking -american style -coffee. not to strong, because we drank a lot. and most of the tiem with milk and sugar...
    though there is -was one brand that i liked very much. Ground or beans, King Hadhramaut from Julius Meinl. But again than, not strong. ground for filter coffee...


    https://juliusmeinl.com/products/Kin...ramaut-UTZ-(1)
    Julius Meinl makes excellent coffee. I buy their Prasident brand from time to time here in Moscow, never fails. They sell their coffee in many coffee shops around town as well. Quality is always high.

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to xt-tsi For This Useful Post:

    Benedikt (15-12-2021)

  14. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    here,since many years
    Posts
    17,687
    Thanked: 3709
    Quote Originally Posted by xt-tsi View Post
    Julius Meinl makes excellent coffee. I buy their Prasident brand from time to time here in Moscow, never fails. They sell their coffee in many coffee shops around town as well. Quality is always high.
    i do have also -real coffee - at home. and it is indeed also Julius meinl. And a french press. if we have friends or guests who do not like tea, it is indeed coffee for them. But for me it is nevertheless -my -mix-. AUCHAN has Julius Meinl. And now a InterSpar has also opened more conveniently here, they also have it. And Billa also does.
    There is no greater treasure then pleasure....

  15. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,366
    Thanked: 786
    Quote Originally Posted by Benedikt View Post
    i do have also -real coffee - at home. and it is indeed also Julius meinl. And a french press. if we have friends or guests who do not like tea, it is indeed coffee for them. But for me it is nevertheless -my -mix-. AUCHAN has Julius Meinl. And now a InterSpar has also opened more conveniently here, they also have it. And Billa also does.
    I know (knew) the GM for Julius Meinl here in Moscow. He fell in love with a stunningly beautiful woman, married her, had a child, stayed in Russia. Overqualified to be the GM for the job he does here and is the main reason the brand can be found in retail and in many coffee shops, despite the high price. Quality sells!!!

  16. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    here,since many years
    Posts
    17,687
    Thanked: 3709
    Quote Originally Posted by xt-tsi View Post
    I know (knew) the GM for Julius Meinl here in Moscow. He fell in love with a stunningly beautiful woman, married her, had a child, stayed in Russia. Overqualified to be the GM for the job he does here and is the main reason the brand can be found in retail and in many coffee shops, despite the high price. Quality sells!!!
    right in the beginning, after the -opening - Julius meinl had 3 shops in Moscow. but the -protectors - wanted to have 20K $ for every shop,. every moth. he refused to pay and closed all three shops. i know the whole story because on xxxxxBoulevard was an Austrian restaurant, where friends of mine were working. and on top of the building, or actually the whole building was -Julius Meinl -. the restaurant has closed long ago and so has Julius Meinl...
    There is no greater treasure then pleasure....

  17. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,366
    Thanked: 786
    I remember them. Julius Meinl was one of the first coffee companies in the market along with Paulig and the very first with a coffee shop. Back in Austria, they had shops, also retail which they shut down. Now, they only roast coffee for retail but exclusively high grade arabicas, and they supply coffee to coffee shops. Doing quite well. About five years ago, the local GM in Russia hinted he might move his gorgeous Russian bride back to Austria and the possibility of an opening in Russia came up. I got all excited, but then, he stayed. Russian wife, you know the drill. Happy in Moscow and when they are happy, so are we.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •