littleangels        English Nanny

Thread: it was not only jews who suffered, this film shows it...

it was not only jews who suffered, this film shows it...

one should listen to that. and while i am an Austrian, now that i am 70, i heard about that for the first time today. wonder though why? i have my own thoughts about it, but will keep them to myself. ( film is in english language). https://www.bbc.com/reel/video/p0b4l...ren-during-ww2
    There is no greater treasure then pleasure....

Quote Originally Posted by Benedikt View Post
    one should listen to that. and while i am an Austrian, now that i am 70, i heard about that for the first time today. wonder though why? i have my own thoughts about it, but will keep them to myself. ( film is in english language). https://www.bbc.com/reel/video/p0b4l...ren-during-ww2
    All people want to imagine the best of their own nation, and they want to see its history in as positive a light as they can. And so, they are willing to ignore, fail to teach, or omit ugly things that would temper their love for what is really good about their country be remembering that they could and did go bad as well. And thus, I have Russian friends who deny the evil of Stalinism, the Japanese are famous for omitting the atrocities they committed during the war from their own histories, the Germans only remember the Holocaust because they had their noses rubbed in it. Some American jingoists prefer to whitewash slavery and treatment of Indians altogether, but they are, thankfully, a minority. Therein lies the difference - America and Germany have publicly repented of their evils, they have been admitted many times over, and you can hardly find any one of them who will be ignorant of them or deny them.But in Russia and Japan, and perhaps Austria, that is not the case, and so a kind of jingoistic nationalism that denies the evils of their own past is on the rise, certainly in Russia, though fueled heavily by Western action to make and keep Russia as an enemy.