Thread: Testing positive for COVID just before your visa expires.

Testing positive for COVID just before your visa expires.

My visa expires on the 30th of the month. What happens if I test positive for COVID on 29th. Presumably I can't board the plane so does my visa get extended? I'm double jabbed with AstraZeneca but that won't necessarily stop me resting positive. Thanks for any help. Someone must have found themself in this position.

Most likely they will put you in isolated quarantine (or hospital depending on the severity of the symptoms) at least fro 14 days, if you dont have insurance you will pay the costs in cash. After you get "recovered" then they will put you in the plane. The visa will not be extended, but you dont need to pay straf, because is force majeur. Just my opinion.

In the first wave there was actually a law allowing Visas to be extended. I'm not sure of the exact rules but it may be that this policy still exists. As a first step I would ask your sponsor or employer to ask the Migration Department of the МВД this question. If you are here on a Business Visa maybe ask the organisation who invited you.

This is a link about the general extension of Visa because of air travel being suspended: https://visasam.ru/russia/vezd/prodlenie-visy-v-rf.html . However, I don't know if this is still in force.

This is a link about the general provisions for emergency extension of Visa e.g. in case of medical emergency. I think it is more likely that this would be useful in your case: https://xn--b1aew.xn--p1ai/dejatelno...B2%D0%B8%D0%B7

Thank you for your replies. I tested negative. Fortunately my flight was for the penultimate day of my visa because when I arrived at the check in my passenger locator form as incomplete and there was no time to change it before check in closed.

Did you board the flight?

Yes, the next day, the final day of my visa.

Good!