littleangels        English Nanny

Thread: British grocery stores starting to look like the old Soviet ones!

British grocery stores starting to look like the old Soviet ones!

Gulag archipelag!
    All the world's Kremlin,
    And all the men and women merely agents

let them eat cake if there is no fresh bread...
    There is no greater treasure then pleasure....

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Benedikt For This Useful Post:

TolkoRaz (17-10-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Benedikt View Post
    let them eat cake if there is no fresh bread...
    I have not seen any difference at my local Morrisons or Iceland, this is just panic buying, much created by the media

Quote Originally Posted by Alan65 View Post
    I have not seen any difference at my local Morrisons or Iceland, this is just panic buying, much created by the media
    well one thing is obvious, only empty shelves are being filmed. and sometimes the shelf minders just can't get the products fast enough out of their stores onto the shelves. or from a central store to the shops.. - we - all remember the toilet paper buying panic... but suppose some chains have better logistics than others, and no empty shelves there?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Benedikt For This Useful Post:

Alan65 (13-10-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Benedikt View Post
    well one thing is obvious, only empty shelves are being filmed. and sometimes the shelf minders just can't get the products fast enough out of their stores onto the shelves. or from a central store to the shops.. - we - all remember the toilet paper buying panic... but suppose some chains have better logistics than others, and no empty shelves there?
    My local Morrisons or Iceland are only a 5 minute walk away, whilst they have a car park, i just walk with one bag, fill it up and thats my lot for circa 10 - 15, the out of town centres where people drive to may have issues as people fill up the car etc, but i have not seen any issues, also i worked all of the way through the pandemic also i work in construction which never really shut down and there was was the work from home option which is not for me.

I live in a seaside town, my local bar was open throughout but it has a great sun terrace overlooking the beach, so guess i was quite lucky.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Alan65 For This Useful Post:

Benedikt (14-10-2021)

have issues as people fill up the car etc,

and they will have toilet paper where their great grandchildren will wonder why 100 years back what did happen...

On the Yellow Brick Road, near El Dorado...
    In the US, it is a supply-chain issue. The huge container ships with $billions in food and trade from China, South America, etc. the gigantic cargo boats are waiting in 40-mile long queues off LA and San Francsicko, waiting to be unloaded (not enough unloading workers). And there are not enough trucks/drivers to carry the unloaded merchandise to inland destinations.

Nobody wants to work, when they can get government money just sitting at home, doing nothing. And the draconian Covid regulations in California bar people from working if they are not vaccinated.

Certain items are not available. At the Walmart, the vegetables and fruits are gone by 6-7 PM, they fill up the store at night. They have one-day's worth of inventory...

If you read the OP's article, you can see the government and Covid bureaucrats ("Covidocrats") blaming everyone BUT themselves, for the shortages, the supply chain problems, and the lack of workers. They have disincentivized working.
    Last edited by TheInterocitor; 14-10-2021 at 07:36.
    "Defund the Social Sciences." - Fantastika, 2020

Quote Originally Posted by TheInterocitor View Post
    In the US, it is a supply-chain issue. The huge container ships with $billions in food and trade from China, South America, etc. the gigantic cargo boats are waiting in 40-mile long queues off LA and San Francsicko, waiting to be unloaded (not enough unloading workers). And there are not enough trucks/drivers to carry the unloaded merchandise to inland destinations.

Nobody wants to work, when they can get government money just sitting at home, doing nothing. And the draconian Covid regulations in California bar people from working if they are not vaccinated.

Certain items are not available. At the Walmart, the vegetables and fruits are gone by 6-7 PM, they fill up the store at night. They have one-day's worth of inventory...

If you read the OP's article, you can see the government and Covid bureaucrats ("Covidocrats") blaming everyone BUT themselves, for the shortages, the supply chain problems, and the lack of workers. They have disincentivized working.
    Just been seeing this on the news, at least Biden is calling people up, where as Boris Johnson has gone on holiday to Spain

I can not see Johnson being in his job for much longer

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-energy-crisis
    Last edited by Alan65; 14-10-2021 at 08:18.

On the Yellow Brick Road, near El Dorado...
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan65 View Post
    Just been seeing this on the news, at least Biden is calling people up, where as Boris Johnson has gone on holiday to Spain

I can not see Johnson being in his job for much longer

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-energy-crisis
    Who will replace Boris and Biden, someone even more incompetent...
    "Defund the Social Sciences." - Fantastika, 2020

14. The Following User Says Thank You to TheInterocitor For This Useful Post:

swampwiz (19-10-2021)

Who will replace Boris and Biden, someone even more incompetent...
    Rishi Sunak

Its mostly a lack of trucks because of greenie lunacy. Media and poloticians trying to avert blame. https://theconservativetreehouse.com...not-help-here/
    If you're going to be dumb, you better be tough...

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bydand For This Useful Post:

rusmeister (17-10-2021), TheInterocitor (18-10-2021)

The new standards for CA truck emissions will be phased in from 2023 to 2024. How can they cause these delays if they haven't come into effect yet?

https://calmatters.org/environment/2...llution-ports/

19. The Following User Says Thank You to xt-tsi For This Useful Post:

Suuryaa (22-10-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by xt-tsi View Post
    The new standards for CA truck emissions will be phased in from 2023 to 2024. How can they cause these delays if they haven't come into effect yet?

https://calmatters.org/environment/2...llution-ports/
    The standards for 2023-2024 are even stricter than present ones.
    On October 16, 2020, the EPA reached a settlement agreement [DATA HERE] with California Air Resource Board (CARB) to shut down semi tractor rigs that were non-compliant with new California emission standards:

On October 16, 2020, the EPA reached a settlement agreement [DATA HERE] with California Air Resource Board (CARB) to shut down semi tractor rigs that were non-compliant with new California emission standards:

2020 SAN FRANCISCO – “Today, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) announced settlements with three interstate trucking companies imposing $417,000 in penalties for violating the California Air Resources Board’s federally enforceable Truck and Bus Regulation, Drayage Truck Regulation and Transport Refrigeration Unit Regulation.
    If you're going to be dumb, you better be tough...

21. The Following User Says Thank You to bydand For This Useful Post:

rusmeister (17-10-2021)

I'm personally wrestling with shipping problem, trying to find ways to ship between India and the EU. Due to an upsurge in economic activities (imports) this year, a large number of ships are arriving at many ports around the world which can't handle the increase for several reasons, a lack of truck drivers being one of them. Containers are in the wrong place and their production has decreased, adding to costs and delays. The freight forwarders are gouging their customers with high fees and demurrage, laughing all the way to the bank. Freight rates have quadrupled and more, with no end in sight. I just finished a fight with iyr freight forwarder about demurrage who would normally give us the benefit of the doubt for a day or two of delay, since we are old customers. Not this time around. He wouldn't budget.

https://investmentmonitor.ai/analysi...ainer-shortage

The laws on truck emissions in LA ports have had no effect on the availability of trucks 96% of whom are compliant.

https://leadstories.com/hoax-alert/2...truck-ban.html

The article says the LA port problems "has nothing to do with COVID-19" as if COVID never happened, as if the global economy didn't shrink by 4.4% in 2020. This is denialism at its finest and thank you for entertaining me with it.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xt-tsi For This Useful Post:

Suuryaa (22-10-2021), TheInterocitor (18-10-2021)