littleangels        English Nanny
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buckwheat over 100 Rubles a kilo? the scribbler, was he ver in a shop?

Buckwheat over 100 Rubles a kilo? the scribbler, was he ver in a shop?

https://www.globus.ru/products/181698_ST/

-we- bought yesterday,Sunday 20 September, 900 grams for 69. rubles. that makes 76.60 Rubles a kilo. the buckwheat hat we use for us.and for Jhinn our dog.
    Auchan it is under 100 rubles a kilo. and Auchan is NOT the cheap one anymore as it was once.if one has the -card Auchan- there is still a 5% cashback. https://www.auchan.ru/product/krupa-...-800-g/Obvious, there is also MISTRAL extra Eco, where each grain has the same size for 150 rubles a kilo...
    https://www.perekrestok.ru/cat/107/p...a-900g-3231481 well, very well under 100 rubles a kilo.

and if you feel like and have time, here is a list of all supermarkets i nRussia. look up buckwheat, russian langauge though will help. of course not the -elite labels- but what the average Russian buys...

the article from RBC, russian langauge https://www.rbc.ru/business/20/09/20...om=from_main_5

SUGAR is often, temporary, that is from the back store to the shelf, in short supply. Obvious, every Babushka buys EVERY and each fall 10s of kilo sugar for making jam...And every store has just a certain space for the sweet stuff. though it is true, during these times there IS an increase in price. No sugar, no jam, and they know it...
    There is no greater treasure then pleasure....

There is massive inflation all over the western world. They do a good job of hiding it but that still doesn't change the fact that we are paying more and receiving less.

I would be curious to know what the story with grechka is, since I am pretty sure it is grown and harvested in Russia. Since it is a domestic product, there should be minimal Covid impact, from shipping to labor and also, the cost that farmers pay for fuel, fertiliser, ruble slippage, etc.

I just realised I don't know anything about the production cycle of grechka and should prob learn more.

Quote Originally Posted by americaninmoscow View Post
    There is massive inflation all over the western world. They do a good job of hiding it but that still doesn't change the fact that we are paying more and receiving less.

I would be curious to know what the story with grechka is, since I am pretty sure it is grown and harvested in Russia. Since it is a domestic product, there should be minimal Covid impact, from shipping to labor and also, the cost that farmers pay for fuel, fertiliser, ruble slippage, etc.

I just realised I don't know anything about the production cycle of grechka and should prob learn more.

well, pice gouging a awn profiteering for sure is ripe. i also seem to remember a story, - FAS -, acronym for the Russian Anti Monopol Service- found a warehouse with thousands of tons buckwheat in storage . a greedy wholesaler just waiting for the price to go up.It was not the storage of a farmer, neither a store or a supermarket, but a middelman who THOUGHT will cash up nicely. i did not follow the story further. besides that one article there was nothing more....

suppose a lot depends also WHERE one does the shopping. definitely NOT picking on them, in my opinion the shop(s),including products, at the Lotte Center are the most expensive one. there i can easily imagine Buckwheat being well over 100 rubles a kilo. but not that one that the average Russian buys. i never go for pretty packaging. or flashy painted cartons with cartoons on it. one has to pay for all that. I (still) have no problem to bend down to the bottom shelve where the cheapest variatons, of the same product, minus the flashy packaging are bing kept. though one thing i do remember. at the time when buckwheat was about 35 or 40 rubles, there were next to it, kilo packets with broken pieces, understandard size, nothing bad though, for about 20 rubles. for me no problem to mix that 50% with the dog food. THAT is no more. the special -sifting - of the product seems to be gone= and all that is being mixed together with the cheapest variatons of buckwheat? t it is not only in the shops that sometimes price gouging ans cheating is going on. when i see on this -weekend markets - that are so being flogged a cheap and good and as a service - to the people and guests of the City-, for instance - local Strawberries- ( i know where they could come from and how long the season is there...) and see than in the trash containers boxes and crates from TURKEY. well i stopped long ago to do ANY shopping there. the market is around the corner, so often i go there walking the first tour with Jhinn my dog, and see the -traders - setting up their stalls with - all local, good ,fresh, cheap products- bollocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Benedikt View Post
    well, pice gouging a awn profiteering for sure is ripe. i also seem to remember a story, - FAS -, acronym for the Russian Anti Monopol Service- found a warehouse with thousands of tons buckwheat in storage . a greedy wholesaler just waiting for the price to go up.It was not the storage of a farmer, neither a store or a supermarket, but a middelman who THOUGHT will cash up .
    Conspiracy theory. Prob some jewish guy right?

well i see on this -weekend markets - that are so being flogged a cheap and good and as a service - to the people and guests of the City-, for instance - local Strawberries- ( i know where they could come from and how long the season is there...) and see than in the trash containers boxes and crates from TURKEY. well i stopped long ago to do ANY shopping there. the market is around the corner, so often i go there walking the first tour with Jhinn my dog, and see the -traders - setting up their stalls with - all local, good ,fresh, cheap products- bollocks.
    Yes, i posted on this topic years ago and i remember you were quite adamant that it was local.

Glad to see you are finally coming around to the fraud that surrounds the russian food chain.

If the prices for grains go up in say Europe or other countries Russian producers will try to export more which can lead to shortages at home which will increase the price in Russia.
    If you trust the government you obviously failed history class. " George Carlin"

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Wally View Post
    If the prices for grains go up in say Europe or other countries Russian producers will try to export more which can lead to shortages at home which will increase the price in Russia.
    Grechka is horse feed in america. What do they do with it in europe? And how much grechka does russia export?

Grechka is horse feed in america. What do they do with it in europe? And how much grechka does russia export?
    https://trendeconomy.com/data/export...commodity=1008

Screenshot_20210923-041107.jpg

Yes, i posted on this topic years ago and i remember you were quite adamant that it was local.

Glad to see you are finally coming around to the fraud that surrounds the russian food chain.
    in the beginning these -local - markets WERE local indeed. in Strogino we had Strawberries from Lipetsk, white Kvass from there. All products that i learned to like when working in Lipetsk... and i also knew how the real thing was supposed to look like and taste. these people and products were ousted by the Moscow -food mafia-, a problem even back than Mayor Juri lushkov admitted it existed...HTV at that time did twice a film why watermelons are so expensive in Moscow. The hired an old clapped up Kamaz with a trailer,installed hidden cameras there and a reporter with a drivers license dove the truck to Moscow, full with watermelons. fro mother drivers he knew already what to do and what to expect. and it was like that indeed. at every checkpoint the drive handed over an envelope with bribe money. -they - did not even open it and check. because they know how much was supposed to be there. and the closer the truck came to Moscow, the more money was in the envelope. the truck was never checked, what might have been under the melons or even who... They,Police-Gai whoever was it, took the money and waved the truck though. caused a big stink and promised -that will not happen anymore, the scoundrels will be punished-.. nothing did happen. HTV did than a second film.and exactly the same situation was there...and when i wrote -local - i did mean it was in Russia. That imported foodstuffs were more often than not of best quality was well known to me...remember the -Bush Leg- chickens?

in Europe it is more and more a healthful. and because it is gluten free an alternative . especially for -gluten intolerant - people.

and while statistics are somethign very nice, it does not say what quality of stiff is being exported. To Italy for instance a lot of that is exported, not food grade, mixed together there, put into nice and shiny bags. and -value added - for the Italians and the Importers, re imported,like as in -Papagalli bird food -. Huge quantities in every pet store. Italians as we all know are eating pasta. and in the north of Italy,Polenta, which is made from maize..
    https://www.topagrar.com/oekolandbau...-12362770.html 2019
    in Germany they -planted 1200 ha buckwheat... in Russia that is one farm alone, most probably...
    Last edited by Benedikt; 25-09-2021 at 10:12.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Benedikt For This Useful Post:

americaninmoscow (25-09-2021)

..remember the -Bush Leg- chickens?
    i know of the saying and of people telling me the story but i don't recall the details except it was something important to them.

as for local stuff. ok. i disagree, since at that time i was walking around quite a bit and would be at maybe 5 or 6 of those markets in different parts of the city and they had exactly the same things. exactly.

but what do i know.

anyways,

i think i posted it here one time, but i too ran into the food mafia.
    i had a buddy who did quite well for himself in the financial sector and as a result he grew. so, i ran into him one time and he told he had to do a social project in some region as part of some deal and as a result, he had, and i forget, but lets say 100 goats, for sale and what to do with them and maybe i could help him. he would give them to me for free. i tried to sell those things but food mafia. so, it was a real eye opener.

So someone bought 5 bucks worth of canary seed from Russia during 2019, and that purchase was tracked?

The cost of tracking had to be far more than the cost of the canary seed.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xp@ For This Useful Post:

americaninmoscow (25-09-2021), Uncle Wally (26-09-2021)

as for local stuff. ok. i disagree, since at that time i was walking around quite a bit and would be at maybe 5 or 6 of those markets in different parts of the city and they had

in the beginning those -weekend markets - were quite good and i did a lot of shopping there. but there was also another reason. one stand was free of charge, no rent to pay, nothing to the -mafia-, reserved for the babushkas who could sell their own things. Jam they made, or pickles and the likes.or parsley grown in her own garden. or a few eggs fro mehr chickens. and there i always bought, far more than i needed. but i knew the money was theirs. all of it. and there was also always a stand with -social prices -. one had to show some documents, i think maybe a pension slip or the likes. and than got the basics, cabbage, potatoes, carrots that has not the -standard size - to be flogged in the supermarket or on the other stands..all that is gone. and now indeed, but that is now in the supermarkets the same, nearly the same price for the same product...now the only difference is, what are the Hypers doing themselves? Auchan has their own bakery, so the bread is not to bad. Spar has the best,by far the best, -culinaria- in town. Globus has their own bakery and butchery. AND they are the only one in town who make their own meatloaf ( Leberkäse). And being a -German - they have the best fresh sausages. When it is written pork on the back it is pork only. no chicken or turkey or beed or soy. all for a price though. but i dont mind. eating something nice not so often. instead of buying -crap- just to have -meat- on the plate every day..

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Wally View Post
    that is the same with gas and petrol.though i do also understand digging a line some 100 km to give a village a gas pipe, who is going to pay for that?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast