littleangels        English Nanny
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Men posting on Expat

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Wally View Post
    We only have two roads. Well one is a road that goes between two highways and one is a street.

How old is your town? It's believed that people first settled here in 1602 but Mr. Schapov came here much later. He was good friends with the Tzar and sold his factories and gave up business. He built a big house here and later a couple of schools. He put a large amount of money in a trust so the town would always be taken care of. This is what his great great grandson told me. Our other attractions are a 400 year old maple tree, a 350 year old oak tree and a 500 year old willow tree. Oh and the park full of linden trees. Every spring the tree doctors come and check out the trees to keep them healthy.
    That is the town, shown in your link. First references are found in 1504 in Ivan III's records. An industrialist named Morozov had factories here and the history of the place talks about other manufacturing in the area.Annunciation Church was built here in early 1600's, rebuilt in the 1800's and was used as a leather goods factory during communist times. It was rebuilt in 1992. I've also read the area was traditionally a place where garbage was dumped, recycled and gotten rid of in the 1800's...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by xt-tsi View Post
    That is the town, shown in your link. First references are found in 1504 in Ivan III's records. An industrialist named Morozov had factories here and the history of the place talks about other manufacturing in the area.Annunciation Church was built here in early 1600's, rebuilt in the 1800's and was used as a leather goods factory during communist times. It was rebuilt in 1992. I've also read the area was traditionally a place where garbage was dumped, recycled and gotten rid of in the 1800's...
    Yeah your town is much older. Very nice church too. You also have a river, we have a lake that was a small river they dammed. It's mostly farms and forest, nothing much around us for 2or3 kilometers.
    If you trust the government you obviously failed history class. " George Carlin"

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Wally View Post
    Yeah your town is much older. Very nice church too. You also have a river, we have a lake that was a small river they dammed. It's mostly farms and forest, nothing much around us for 2or3 kilometers.
    Yeah, the Istra River isn't bad. We have a swimming hole, pretty shallow but on a hot day, gets the job done. I've done some canoeing on the river. We can also drive out the M9 and head towards Tver Oblast, where we have a dacha very far from Moscow. That's been a godsend especially since COVID preventing us from traveling. Getting out to Tver Oblast really makes me feel like I've escaped Moscow.

The only problem is that all kinds of gated communities have been built around here. Our house was once surrounded by farmland and fields, now it's all fenced in and mega-mansions have appeared. And like you, we have too few roads. We only have four roads that can get us from here to the Nova Riga, the ones that existed since Soviet times despite the buildup of population. I have to leave my house either very early in the morning or during breaks in the traffic to avoid getting stuck in traffic jams.

Another change is that once we had old fashioned stores and an outdoor markets. Much of this has been replaced by the modern trade and even a bloody shopping center. The suburbs are here. But still, it's fine. Been here since 2006, so it's home.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234