littleangels        English Nanny

Thread: First floor apartment

First floor apartment

Hello everybody! I recently moved to Moscow under HQS. Now I'm looking for a place to rent. Wanted to get your views about the apartments on the first floor. Should I be worried about burglars, noise, privacy etc.? Any locally specific hits and tips will be much appreciated. Speaking about Tverskoy district near Mayakovskaya station.

You would have to worry about noise and fires more, you see most first floor apartments have bars on the windows, they have a lock so they can be opened but what happens if you lost the key? I don't think there are many first floor apartments in that area anyway so think second floor.
    If you trust the government you obviously failed history class. " George Carlin"

Well, if i remember correctly, there was a difference between america first floor and european cirst floor.

America first floor was european 2 floor because america doesnt count ground floor.

My apt in moscow is on the first floor so its the ground floor becUse my place is in a five stoery walk up and there are four floors above me.

it it is in a building with a concierge, i would not mind. thy keep the palce clean, make sure no one is throwing papers from the mailboxes on the floor . but into the bin. the concierge keeps the scum out, makes sure no one, dog or cat or human makes a mess by the mailboxes or under the stairs. and once i na while a good box tea or coffee and your palce, and you, are safe.... but no concierge, no ground floor. BUT ALSO NO LAST FLOOR. many buildings have flat roofs, isolation is often worn out or badly repaired. and you always have problems with water ( when it is raining heavily or snow and ice thawing). and, though so far i have heard of nothing at least in the highrises. you might get visitors when you are not at home... via the roof and your balcony...
    There is no greater treasure then pleasure....

Yes, this is very true. My wife inherited a studio apartment in Moscow in a six story building. Not a bad building. We have an activist neighbor who keeps people honest about cleanliness in the podezd. The garbage chute in the hallway, which in former days stunk to high heaven, has mercifully been shut down. Something else to check out. Those garbage chutes, if still in use, can smell bad on the bottom floor. Around the corner from the apartment entrance is a garbage area, not far away. Many of our neighbors can't see fit to walk that far and deposit their trash outside the front entrance, in front of the apartments on the first floor. Every day, a dutiful Tadzhik picks up the trash and carries it around the corner but most of the time, the garbage remains. And you are absolutely correct about the top floor. Leaky up there, from time to time. Our (her) apartment is on the fourth floor and it is a rental. Needless to say, the renters could care less about the garbage outside. Somehow, they don't notice it.

Some first floor apartments are fine, though, if the view is out onto the courtyard and not the entrance.

Judge is offline kiss my shiny metal ........
    Quote Originally Posted by dcken View Post
    Hello everybody! I recently moved to Moscow under HQS. Now I'm looking for a place to rent. Wanted to get your views about the apartments on the first floor. Should I be worried about burglars, noise, privacy etc.? Any locally specific hits and tips will be much appreciated. Speaking about Tverskoy district near Mayakovskaya station.
    The areas you mention are very safe, I've lived on the first floor far from the centre and never had any problems, like was said, there will probably be bars on the windows, first thing to check is how to get quickly in case of a fire.

Regarding tips, you have all in that area, decent restaurants,cafes, clinics ,transport easy for all places, like parks museums, etc, all walking distance