littleangels        English Nanny

Thread: the lousiest products in Russia, and it is true unfortunately

the lousiest products in Russia, and it is true unfortunately

https://ria.ru/20210903/tovary-17484...medium=desktop

one reason why i never buy pelmeni. Not even the expensive brands.
    and close behind that come KEFIR..
    Honey? only buy at the honey markets. where you can see what you get..
    There is no greater treasure then pleasure....

i never used to buy pelemeni but then after i started making it at home, i realized it takes up too much time and although its fun and a great family experience, you can buy pelemeni that "tastes" "almost" like what you can make.

so, i bought all the pelemeni in the store and we found the one that we liked and was similiar in flavor.

of course, that doesn't mean at all that it was nutritionally the same, or even had real products, but it did save time. i mean, when you most of your food from scratch, its ok to cheat every once in awhile.

i mean,

to make pelemani, you have to find the meat that you like, cuz its also a hassle.

then you have to grind it, getting the correct meat/fat balance.

then you might have to spice it. maybe just salt and pepper. really, its a personal thing.

but before this,

you have to make the dough.

so, with my kitchenaid, it was easy. before i had a kitchenaid, it was dumb. but with it, boom - no problem. fast and easy.

then you have to let the dough rise.

only after this can you call your posse or family or workers or whatever and the process begins.

making pelmani is an art, you can use molds, or you can have your own personal or family style of twisting the dough closed.... but still, the dough has to be sealed, so the seams dont break apart when you boil them or fry them or, however you coook them. maybe steam. maybe all of the above.

so, you have have cups of water and molds and dough and the right meat and put them all together.

and then arrange them on the freezing trays

and then have room in the freezer to freeze them enough so that you can portion them out into ziploc bags (so you just grab one bag for one meal)

and and and and

the worst part, for me, was cleaning up.

luckily,

after i bought my apt, i bought a dishswasher, so it was all good. just throw most of the crap in there to be washed.

but then you have to put the tools away.

and finally, you have roughly the same thing you can buy for around 350 rub.

worth it? absolutely, from the whole experience point of view.

from the eating side? -----> well, you can just buy a bag from the store, dump it in your pot and boil away.

add some of this spice, or that herb and boom. done.

then add some sour cream. and by the end, the product nearly tastes the same.

so, the trick is, you have to make a lot, so its worth the time. otherwise, just buy it.

cuz let's be honest.

add enough sour cream or ketchup or mayonaise and everything tastes the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Benedikt View Post
    Honey? only buy at the honey markets. where you can see what you get..
    why dont you go to the house of honey (дом меда)? its at novokuznetskya. they have maybe 50+ types and you can taste each and everyone and watch as they scoop it out. Also, they have placards that state where the honey came from, what kind it is, like pure clover honey from altai, or pine honey from irkutsk, etc. Also, as a bonus, they have other health crap that might need, like real kvass or kefir grains, or other grasses, herbs or whatever.

but the biiiiiiiiigggggg thing for me, the first summer that i get back, will be to get my own hive. and they sell all of the equipment, minus the actual bees, at the house of honey. you can go in the back and play with all of the toys, from the bee suits to the jars to the technical equipment.

Screenshot 2021-09-06 at 03.39.27.png

add enough sour cream or ketchup or mayonaise and everything tastes the same.[/QUOTE]

maybe for me being a Chef it is no problem to do them myself? and the traditional and original seasoning for pelmeni is just salt, pepper and onions..also, proportion wise, there must be more filling than dough. commercial pelmeni have most of the time this reversed. because flour is cheaper than meat..during (cook school) classes, i have shown how to make -mayo - without a single eggs, -ketchup- with one or two tomatoes per liter. and -sausages- with less than 10% of meat. and adding flavour enhancers, thickeners, binders, fixers, colorant and what have you, they tasted just super...than we did the costing.and wondering who made all the profit,when comparing the prices in the shops.. many years ago when HTV was a program that one still found interesting, an- apprentice - was put onto the shop floor and to some filming... the girl there said than at the end of the program that she will never ever eat any sausages. and what we saw on TV, one could not blame her...

Fresh food from scratch isnt hard to make in a one off, but u have to cook for 5 people on a tight schedule then that is a different story.

Ive found it best just to set aside one day, get all of the cooking done, freeze it, and move on.

I hate meal planning, as in, next Tues i want tacos.

I prefer to just open the freezer/fridge door and grab what i want.

[QUOTE=americaninmoscow;1501467]Fresh food from scratch isnt hard to make in a one off, but u have to cook for 5 people on a tight schedule then that is a different story.

and that is exactly what i do at home. certain basic things, like sauces i do in -bulk-. and since we have the space, we have on the balcony a full cupboard of pickles, juices, jams and the likes. and a -ton- still at the dacha. but nothing packed in BIG containers. all more or less 3 or 4 portions. so it is easy, fry off quickly some beef,pork or chicken, add some mushrooms, the ready made sauce. and in less that 15 minutes a meal is done. ALWAYS some fresh salads, minimum tomatoes and cucumbers...I dont mind buying fresh dough at the supermarket. since most of them have their own bakery, there is always fresh dough on the shelves. But the PIZZA Sauce i have made myself.and the toppings are what WE like..

Quote Originally Posted by Benedikt View Post

and that is exactly what i do at home. c.
    let me rephrase.....what i meant to say was that it is impossible/time consuming/dirty to make complicated foodstuffs before every meal.

i too do as you wrote above.

Quote Originally Posted by americaninmoscow View Post
    let me rephrase.....what i meant to say was that it is impossible/time consuming/dirty to make complicated foodstuffs before every meal.

i too do as you wrote above.
    indeed it does not work to make 4 portions pelmeni or 4 pairs of Franks before a meal...