littleangels        English Nanny
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What unknown beautiful places are there in Russia?

What unknown beautiful places are there in Russia?

I hope to come to Russia and see more of the country. What places are beautiful and not so well known? In particular, I like snow and hills/mountains. Maybe someplace to go snowmobiling? What places have you guys seen that you would recommend? And not just snowy places - whatever you have found that is worthwhile.

Don't laugh, but Воркута and Медвежьегорск is on my short list of places to see!

OOPS, wrong thread...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Don't laugh, but Воркута and Медвежьегорск is on my short list of places to see! [/QUOTE]

if you want a warm bed every night, good food and drink, AND have fun, go out there. https://bogdarnya.ru/ English is no problem out there. the owner John, is an ex Brit... They also make their own cheese, have their own meat. and quite a few other surprises as well. READ UP ON THE SITE YOURSELF, BUT IF YO UWANT TO HAVE SOMETHIGN AROUND CHRISTMAS,NEW YEAR, CERTAIN LONG WEEKENDS OR HOLIDAYS, MAKE YOUR RESERVATIONS WELL IN ADVANCE.
    There is no greater treasure then pleasure....

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Benedikt For This Useful Post:

Freud (03-09-2021), Uncle Wally (03-09-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Benedikt View Post
    if you want a warm bed every night, good food and drink, AND have fun, go out there. https://bogdarnya.ru/ English is no problem out there. the owner John, is an ex Brit... They also make their own cheese, have their own meat. and quite a few other surprises as well. READ UP ON THE SITE YOURSELF, BUT IF YO UWANT TO HAVE SOMETHIGN AROUND CHRISTMAS,NEW YEAR, CERTAIN LONG WEEKENDS OR HOLIDAYS, MAKE YOUR RESERVATIONS WELL IN ADVANCE.

That place looks interesting. The wife likes riding horses so I'll have to ask her what she thinks.

Quote Originally Posted by Freud View Post
    That place looks interesting. The wife likes riding horses so I'll have to ask her what she thinks.
    if you are adventurous, you can take the -elektritshka- from Kursk railway station ( though check first, i did it many years ago...) to station PETUSHKI. and from there any taxidriver knows - John Kopiskies Farm - Bogdarnya.
    There is no greater treasure then pleasure....

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Benedikt For This Useful Post:

FatAndy (09-09-2021), Freud (05-09-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Benedikt View Post
    if you are adventurous, you can take the -elektritshka- from Kursk railway station ( though check first, i did it many years ago...) to station PETUSHKI. and from there any taxidriver knows - John Kopiskies Farm - Bogdarnya.
    I think we would just drive there but we'll see. Driving would make it easy to go see other sights along the journey.

I've taken trains in Russia but I have never been on the elektritshka as far as I know.

The great majority of Russia isn't tourist friendly like America. Also, if you don't speak Russian, you won't enjoy it as much.

There used to be a blog that was written by an oil guy and his pics of the "first class/5* hotels" across the country. LOL.

With that said, Russia is very welcoming and if you are into Post-Soviet chic, and sometimes even at reasonable prices, then this is the country for you!

You can go South, the Caucauses.

Essentuki is my favorite mineral water, and has mineral baths and mud baths and all kinds of ways to relax. It has always been my dream to go there and see it in person. https://victoria-essentuki.ru/

Or you can get other ideas from - https://www.youtube.com/user/realrussiablog

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to americaninmoscow For This Useful Post:

FatAndy (09-09-2021), Freud (06-09-2021)

I have a buddy who is an American and is a big city guy, so not very outdoorsy, at all. He doesn't like to leave the center of Moscow. Although lately he has been spending time at his wife's dacha. Anyways.

He and a few other Americans (all guys) and one French guy drove their car from Moscow to Lake Baikal and back.

They enjoyed it and had a great time.

But you run into strange things like a horse drawn ferry (it has been awhile, i don't remember exactly how it worked) that only can take a few cars and will only work a few hours a day.

So, to cross the river, they had to wait in line and camp till it was their turn.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to americaninmoscow For This Useful Post:

Freud (06-09-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Freud View Post
    I think we would just drive there but we'll see. Driving would make it easy to go see other sights along the journey.

I've taken trains in Russia but I have never been on the elektritshka as far as I know.
    Electricka is just the commuter train. Sometimes, they stop at every stop, other times, they don't. it depends on the schedule. other than that, they aren't very nice or comfortable. Old, hard wooden seats and sliding doors. No internet.

The fun part about the electricki is that sellers sell you lots of cheap but sometimes interesting crap. They do it very quickly, in 30 second pitches. It's like watching live tv. And there are lots of local musicians that perform a quick song. And the best part ---------> the rabbits. Well, the correct translation is hare, but rabbit is better.

Those are the people that don't pay the fare. So, they eventually all gather together and basically run around the ticket checkers. Its awesome. And great entertainment. At every stop, people will run away from the conductors and run to the cars where there are none or where they had already been. This is because there are only maybe 5-10 train workers for maybe 30 cars. And the train workers have a system and have to check each person, so they start at the back or front and then move from car to car in a straight line. So people are always moving forwards or backwards while the train is moving and then you can see them sprint by and past you at the stops. You will often see large groups of 15-20 people just sprinting by.

It is so fun to watch this interaction because everyone knows the game and sometimes, the conductors actually catch people. But then those people just get tossed off at the next stop and they have to wait till the next train and the game resets. So, there is no downside to being caught, other than being late.

I get it. I mean, if I was going from one little town to another, and my monthly salary was less than a few hundred dollars, why should i pay if i don't have to? And for teenagers that don't have the money, well, how else will they get to their friends house to hang out?

In fact, even in the morning you can see guys in suits and women in biz clothes getting their morning exercise..... lol.

One of my goals the next time I am there and going to my dacha is to buy a ticket but to go with the rabbits just to see how this is done exactly.

Also, many of the stops have turnstyles that won't let you out with a ticket. But you can see the holes in the fences or the paths that people use to circumvent this system.

Some of the lines do have modern trains and internet tho, so things are changing.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to americaninmoscow For This Useful Post:

Freud (06-09-2021)

This is down the street from my apt and this is where many commuters walk out of the electrichka so they don't have to pay. This is one stop from the center of Moscow, btw. In the summer, you can see the grass has been worn down and in the winter the snow will be pushed off to one side, to create a trail.

I've gone down there many times to drink beer or explore with my kids. My oldest and I have crawled thru the fences but I've never actually ridden this exact electrichka becauase it doesn't go where I need to go. And honestly, most little communities around Moscow are very much the same and very boring. Most haven't changed from Soviet times.

To get to my dacha, I have to go across town and North.

Screenshot 2021-09-04 at 22.15.42.jpg

Screenshot 2021-09-04 at 22.14.21.jpg

16. The Following User Says Thank You to americaninmoscow For This Useful Post:

Freud (06-09-2021)

For weekly deals on tourism stuff, just go to yandex and type in "горячий туризм россия".

You can find neat and cheap deals on domestic russian tourism. Here are a few links....

https://tours.tutu.ru/strana/rossiya/hot/

https://www.1001tur.ru/russia/tury/hot/

https://cheapfortrip.ru/rossiya/

18. The Following User Says Thank You to americaninmoscow For This Useful Post:

Freud (06-09-2021)

oh wow!

i just remembered there used to be this super, super cool russian travel show that was called something like the bird/hawk "орёл" and something.

so, the idea was that there were two hosts, usually a guy and a girl.

at the start of each show, they would basically flip a coin and one person got the super expensive route, and the other the budget route.

and then each person would show you what you could expect at different price points.

it is very easy to travel very cheaply inside russia and see really cool stuff, but also it is very neat to see what luxory options are available.

and the hosts were usually very, very fun and cool to watch.

but then the cable package that i had changed the channels that were available and suddenly the channel dedicated to russian tourism and russia in general was not available.

there was another tourism related program that was also neat.

the idea was there was a good looking but stern blonde girl who would go to different towns in russia and inspect the kitchens or rooms, with white gloves and black uv lights, etc. it was also fun to watch.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to americaninmoscow For This Useful Post:

Freud (06-09-2021)

or for "active" type tourism,

https://go.tutu.ru/search/?direction...0%5D%5Bid%5D=7

seriously missing russia, :_(

22. The Following User Says Thank You to americaninmoscow For This Useful Post:

Freud (06-09-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by americaninmoscow View Post
    oh wow!

i just remembered there used to be this super, super cool russian travel show that was called something like the bird/hawk "орёл" and something.

so, the idea was that there were two hosts, usually a guy and a girl.

at the start of each show, they would basically flip a coin and one person got the super expensive route, and the other the budget route.

and then each person would show you what you could expect at different price points.

it is very easy to travel very cheaply inside russia and see really cool stuff, but also it is very neat to see what luxory options are available.

and the hosts were usually very, very fun and cool to watch.

but then the cable package that i had changed the channels that were available and suddenly the channel dedicated to russian tourism and russia in general was not available.

there was another tourism related program that was also neat.

the idea was there was a good looking but stern blonde girl who would go to different towns in russia and inspect the kitchens or rooms, with white gloves and black uv lights, etc. it was also fun to watch.
    orel and reshka.

Here is it, with english subtitles.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEEV9uHHkmg

is there no longer a way to embed youtube in our posts?

24. The Following User Says Thank You to americaninmoscow For This Useful Post:

Freud (06-09-2021)

The Altai is on my list of places I want to visit. Mountainous, remote, not densely populated, lots of history. Not close to Moscow being on the border with Mongolia and China. I'd planned to go this year but for health reasons couldn't make it. So, plan on going in 2022.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to xt-tsi For This Useful Post:

Freud (06-09-2021)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast