littleangels        English Nanny

Thread: HELP!!!! Permanent Residence Permit and expiring passport (oh no!)

HELP!!!! Permanent Residence Permit and expiring passport (oh no!)

Hi everyone. I have kind of a panic-inducing situation and thought that perhaps someone here can help me out.

My situation is this.

I am a U.S. citizen.
    I have a Russian Permanent Residence Permit (vid na zhitelstvo).
    My U.S. passport expires on September 14 (in 2 and a half week).
    I had to make an emergency trip to the U.S. a few days ago (illness in the family) and am there now.
    I have a return ticket to Russia on the 31st.

So far, so good? Right? MAYBE NOT. I have just been informed by the U.S. Embassy that a passport has to be valid for at least six months after the date of entry into Russia -- which mine will not be!!!!

Does this matter for me, since I am entering on a PRP and not a visa? Please tell me that I am not going to be locked out of the country until I get a new passport (which, moreover, will not match the information on my PRP!!!!!).

Any advice here would be really, really appreciated. Thanks enormously.

Quote Originally Posted by Heraclitus View Post
    Hi everyone. I have kind of a panic-inducing situation and thought that perhaps someone here can help me out.

My situation is this.

I am a U.S. citizen.
    I have a Russian Permanent Residence Permit (vid na zhitelstvo).
    My U.S. passport expires on September 14 (in 2 and a half week).
    I had to make an emergency trip to the U.S. a few days ago (illness in the family) and am there now.
    I have a return ticket to Russia on the 31st.

So far, so good? Right? MAYBE NOT. I have just been informed by the U.S. Embassy that a passport has to be valid for at least six months after the date of entry into Russia -- which mine will not be!!!!

Does this matter for me, since I am entering on a PRP and not a visa? Please tell me that I am not going to be locked out of the country until I get a new passport (which, moreover, will not match the information on my PRP!!!!!).

Any advice here would be really, really appreciated. Thanks enormously.
    Yes it could effect you. Your US passport needs to be valid for 6 months. One way to get around this is to give up your US citizenship or put off your trip for the 45 days it takes to get a new passport. Contact the Russian embassy in the US, I'm sure you will find them helpful.
    If you trust the government you obviously failed history class. " George Carlin"

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Wally View Post
    Yes it could effect you. Your US passport needs to be valid for 6 months. One way to get around this is to give up your US citizenship or put off your trip for the 45 days it takes to get a new passport. Contact the Russian embassy in the US, I'm sure you will find them helpful.
    Oh no. Could conceivably affect me, or will?

45 days?!?!?!? I have a wife and life!

And my new passport will not have my vid stamped in it.

I'll call the Russian Embassy tomorrow. Thanks.

Just in case this issue should come up for anyone else -- I contacted the Russian Embassy in the U.S. and they told me that this 6-month rule does not affect holders of a PRP.

THANK YOU ALL YE GODS ON OLYMPUS.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Heraclitus For This Useful Post:

Uncle Wally (27-08-2021)