littleangels        English Nanny

Thread: With God on our side, and not on your side...

On the Yellow Brick Road, near El Dorado...

With God on our side, and not on your side...

https://yandex.ru/turbo/life.ru/s/p/1428237

Is the Foreign Minister attempting to be sarcastic here? Implying the Western nations see their agenda vis-a-vis Eastern Europe as holy, ordained and blessed by God? A deft and humorous touch, reminds me of Rush:

Министр иностранных дел России Сергей Лавров назвал шабашем "Крымскую платформу", которую собирается провести Киев.

"Через неделю состоится очередной шабаш — "Крымская платформа", на которой Запад будет продолжать пестовать неонацистские, расистские настроения современной украинской власти", — сказал глава МИД РФ на встрече с участниками арт-кластера "Таврида".

шабаш -> "sabbath"

noun
    a day of religious observance and abstinence from work, kept by Jewish people from Friday evening to Saturday evening, and by most Christians on Sunday.
    "we observe the Sabbath as God has commanded"
    a supposed annual midnight meeting of witches with the Devil.

Def. "2" of course, has only been around for a couple of decades; Def. "1" has been the standard for millennia. And the FM was likely ridiculing the devout sacredness by which the Left adorns their agenda.

Putin and Lavrov both seem to be increasingly sardonic with regards to the actions and words of the West's "leaders." And why not? Pass a certain point, and you can no longer find rhyme nor reason in such actions and words, nor find any reasonable way to react or counter it. It's impossible to comprehend such a glittering tower of ignorance, so you just have to laugh at it.
    Last edited by TheInterocitor; 26-08-2021 at 07:12.
    "Defund the Social Sciences." - Fantastika, 2020

Quote Originally Posted by TheInterocitor View Post
    https://yandex.ru/turbo/life.ru/s/p/1428237

Is the Foreign Minister attempting to be sarcastic here? Implying the Western nations see their agenda vis-a-vis Eastern Europe as holy, ordained and blessed by God? A deft and humorous touch, reminds me of Rush:

Министр иностранных дел России Сергей Лавров назвал шабашем "Крымскую платформу", которую собирается провести Киев.

"Через неделю состоится очередной шабаш — "Крымская платформа", на которой Запад будет продолжать пестовать неонацистские, расистские настроения современной украинской власти", — сказал глава МИД РФ на встрече с участниками арт-кластера "Таврида".

шабаш -> "sabbath"

noun
    a day of religious observance and abstinence from work, kept by Jewish people from Friday evening to Saturday evening, and by most Christians on Sunday.
    "we observe the Sabbath as God has commanded"
    a supposed annual midnight meeting of witches with the Devil.

Def. "2" of course, has only been around for a couple of decades; Def. "1" has been the standard for millennia. And the FM was likely ridiculing the devout sacredness by which the Left adorns their agenda.

Putin and Lavrov both seem to be increasingly sardonic with regards to the actions and words of the West's "leaders." And why not? Pass a certain point, and you can no longer find rhyme nor reason in such actions and words, nor find any reasonable way to react or counter it. It's impossible to comprehend such a glittering tower of ignorance, so you just have to laugh at it.
    It seems to me that you are reading that interpretation into the text. The government is playing a secular, "multiconfessional" position. He would certainly mean the term in the sense of the 2nd definition as a rhetorical device, and not as serious religious commentary.

On the Yellow Brick Road, near El Dorado...
    Quote Originally Posted by rusmeister View Post
    It seems to me that you are reading that interpretation into the text. The government is playing a secular, "multiconfessional" position. He would certainly mean the term in the sense of the 2nd definition as a rhetorical device, and not as serious religious commentary.
    I understand what you're saying regards "secular", and I agree he's not being serious. But I doubt Lavrov even knows the 2nd definition of "sabbath. Is it in the typical Russian dictionary?

The 2nd def. seems to be almost the "opposite" of the 1st definition. It's like the word "clown". Clowns used to connote a source of humor and fun. Now they are painted as sinister and evil. (Thanks, Stephen King).

But what I was trying to say - for example what the West would claim about the newly-resurrected diktat "territorial integrity". Listening to the media and politicians proclaim, we might conclude that "territorial integrity" (as applied regarding Ukraine's "ownership" of Crimea) is one of a "Ten Commandments of International Behavior" - a nation's sacred "human right." While the same people violate such a set-in-stone guideline easily, like in dismembering Yugoslavia, or separating Kosovo from Serbia, or, in the US now, making the border so porous, it might as well not even be there. Lavrov and Putin realize they can do nothing to change the West's mindset, so they ridicule such hypocrisy, paint such posturing as if the West is violating its own "gospel."
    "Defund the Social Sciences." - Fantastika, 2020