littleangels        English Nanny

Thread: UK / Rus Double Taxation Treaty

UK / Rus Double Taxation Treaty

Hi everyone,

Next year I will become a UK tax resident as well as a Russian tax resident due to family ties. All my income is earnt in Russia and I spend the mandatory six months here. Can anyone tell me if the double taxation treaty will be a simple offset of Russian tax against UK tax? Does this only concern Income tax in both countries or also in Russia - Income tax and Production safety tax, social taxes (Medical fund, Social security fund, Pension fund) on the Russian side, and National Insurance on the UK side.

Any help advice links or people would be much appreciated as I cannot seem to find the answer to this anywhere and with social taxes at around 30% in Russia but income tax being 13% this would make a great difference to me.

Thanks in Advance.

Thanks for these links much appreciated although I have read these and still cant determine if Income tax is Income tax or all taxes, it is not very clear

You can only be a tax resident of a country if you are in a country for 180x ( 182 I think).

Except in america. You always have to pay tax. But if you are in the country less than 30Ish days a year, you have a much lower tax footprint. So, you only have to start paying after 90x for singles and 180( don't remember) for married.

Its the same for Russia. For this reason, he will hate you because you will be charged a 30% tax and after you reach the tax resident threshold, you will a) start to pay a 15% tax rate and hr will apply for a tax rebate from the guv.

Or at least that's how it used to be.

Are you an employee? If so you do not pay any social or else taxes in Russia. You pay only income tax (13%). Everything else is paid by your employer and you cannot say that that was your payment. You can offset (if you need to) only income tax that you paid (13%). You should not be a TAX resident in UK if you spend more than 183 days in Russia. I do not think you have any obligations in UK. But I am not an expert in UK taxes.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to seaworld For This Useful Post:

americaninmoscow (18-07-2021)

Foreigners on 1yr work permit visa, has to pay income tax, pension fund, social security etc., which will be around 64% untill you become tax resident (180+ days staying in RF) and 44% once you become tax resident (All these are handled by the employer.)
    But, if you're on 3yr work visa (HQS) you just pay 13% income tax and nothing more.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to tasel For This Useful Post:

americaninmoscow (19-07-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by tasel View Post
    Foreigners on 1yr work permit visa, has to pay income tax, pension fund, social security etc.
    Based on what?