littleangels        English Nanny

Thread: Native Russian Speakers

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Native Russian Speakers

There seems to be a program for Native Russian Speakers from former USSR countries, such as Ukraine, to be able to move to Russia and receive Russian citizenship. My question is, what happens if such a person wanting to do this is married to a non-Russian speaker? Does this program allow for a Native Russian Speaker to bring their non-Russian speaking spouse? Does anyone know about this or can suggest a reputable agency or law firm that can help?

Found this info about the program but no mention what happens to a non-russian-speaking spouse:

Residence permit for native Russian speakers (NRS)

Residence permit for NRS (native Russian speakers), without obtaining RVP (temporary residence permit). Such possibility is given for those whose Russian language is native. This is a new migration status gives the opportunity to obtain Russian citizenship in the shortest time. The foreign citizen which can prove ties with Russia and knowledge of Russian like native, receives a Residence Permit, and in the further citizenship of Russia, by the accelerated and simplified procedure.

In the first step foreigner has to prove the Russian knowledge and his native ties with Russia. There is a special examination process in migration service which provides procedures recognition of native speakers. So, who can be recognized as a Native Russian speaker?

A foreign citizen, whose native language is used in everyday life and in the family, can obtain the status of an NRS

* Recognition of the Russian as a native language
    * The presence of ascendant relatives, citizens of the Russian Federation or former citizens of the Russian Federation
    * The presence of ascendant relatives, former USSR citizens who lived in the RSFSR.

On a preferential basis, a Native Russian speaker receives a residence permit in the Russian Federation, bypassing the procedure for obtaining an RVP (temporary residence permit).

Peculiarities of the residence permit obtained on the basis of the "Native Russian speaker".

* The residence permit in the Russian Federation on the basis of the Russian Native speaker is issued for 3 years.
    * The residence permit in Russia on the status of a Russian Native speaker is not extended.
    * After receiving a residence permit in Russia, Russian Native speaker within 2 years, must obtain Citizenship of the Russian Federation.
    * You can't get a residence permit in the Russian Federation on the basis of a "Russian Native speaker" twice.

I looked into this native Russian speaker program at one point. Once your wife is a Russian citizen, you can get a private 12 month visa as her spouse to relocate to Russia. Then you qualify and can apply for residency and eventually citizenship. No need for a lawyer.

As a side note, I took the language test for this program, thinking that my Russian was pretty good after studying it all my adult life. But I didn't pass the test. Neither here nor there...

Quote Originally Posted by xt-tsi View Post
    I looked into this native Russian speaker program at one point. Once your wife is a Russian citizen, you can get a private 12 month visa as her spouse to relocate to Russia. Then you qualify and can apply for residency and eventually citizenship. No need for a lawyer.

As a side note, I took the language test for this program, thinking that my Russian was pretty good after studying it all my adult life. But I didn't pass the test. Neither here nor there...
    Is there a separate official test for that apart from the language test for citizenship?
    I was told at a migrant center that I could apply myself under that program, despite my accent - they said that there were Uzbeks, Georgians, etc getting in with worse Russian than mine.

The test for native speakers was not the same as the one for citizenship. It involved reading a short story and going through an interview. I was asked to define several obscure words that many Russians don't know. Perhaps now things have become more lax, though. I took it about five years ago...
    Last edited by xt-tsi; 30-06-2021 at 08:19.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to xt-tsi For This Useful Post:

rusmeister (30-06-2021)