littleangels        English Nanny

Thread: Possibly moving to Moscow in the future with young family

Possibly moving to Moscow in the future with young family

I'm from the UK I've been married to my Russian wife for nearly 15 years. We have two children, aged 5 and 1 and we live in London. Over the past 12 months my wife has become very unsettled living in the UK and rather disillusioned living here. I think a lot is because of COVID and all the lockdowns. However, in truth she's never really adapted to living in the UK, but rather just accepted it.

I'm just wondering on what it's like living in Moscow now.

I have lived in Moscow before from 2005-2007 and I taught English. My Russian is ok, but it's worse now than it was several years ago. I'm just wondering on what it's like living in Moscow these days, particularly if you have a young family. I do visit Moscow every year though to visit the in-laws so I have seen some changes. Some positive changes, but some things haven't changed e.g. traffic, congestion and I've never found Moscow a particularly clean city especially in terms of air quality.

What are the schools like? I expect if we moved here they would be educated in a Russian school but I would look into some English lessons privately.
    What about activities for children? One of the things about the UK is there are so many things to do for children both inside and outside. In Moscow, it's a bit tougher because of the long winters. The kids can still play outside, but I would think there are certainly less options than in the UK.
    What about accommodation? I have to admit I do dislike the 15 storey gray tower blocks scattered throughout the city, but I imagine there a lot of new blocks of flats now. I would prefer to have a house with a garden, but be close enough to Moscow. I don't know how practical that is though, especially for commuting to work. We have a 2 bedroom flat in the UK which we could sell or rent out.

In terms of work, my wife is in banking so she'd probably find a job quite easily. I can always teach English again, but I recently retrained as UX designer so I don't know if being a native-English speaker and having this skill would be useful to an employer?

I still feel it's more likely we'll stay in the UK, but it would be good to get some insight into what life in Moscow is like these days.

Thanks in advance

https://www.e-architect.com/moscow/a...w-town-project

Sorry that i can not give more info and the link is rather old but i am sure you can find out more on Russian websites or the likes of Ben or Judge could fill you in

From memory, it is close to Yasenvo where i stayed, there is/was a large M & S in the shopping centre just outside the MKAD, would not be too far from the Orange line, easy access to Teopli Stan (sp) - if i remember more will post - i am more St Petes/London these days

And follow Zenit

Good LUCK

Alan 65
    Last edited by Alan65; 10-06-2021 at 06:01. Reason: more info added

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Alan65 For This Useful Post:

Benedikt (10-06-2021)

I still feel it's more likely we'll stay in the UK, but it would be good to get some insight into what life in Moscow is like these days.

since you visit Moscow every year and have a Russian wife, why not get more information through them?https://careerfoundry.com/en/blog/ux...r-actually-do/ would that actually describe what you are doing_ could you work full time from home? not homeoffice and all that crap because of Corona. But just instead of schlepping every day to an office, work from home?
    (I am Austrian),living already over 30 years in Moscow. and no desire whatever to go back to Austria. We live in the best and cleanest district of Moscow... Strogino. And few people are selling here.... We have from Kindergarten to -highschool- everything, within walking distance in our district.
    If your wife works in banking, try to check out the sites of banks? Raiffeisen is in my opinion the best one here. i say that not because they are from Austria...
    and this is not an ad or plug for them, they dont need it. But try also VADIM from Liga Consulting. This guy seems to know God ad the world and a few other people.He for sure will be able to answer more of your questions than i can do. though feel free to ask for more, i will answer to the best of my knowledge.
    Stroginohttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strogino_(Arbatsko%E2%80%93Pokrovskaya_line)
    There is no greater treasure then pleasure....

On the Yellow Brick Road, near El Dorado...
    Quote Originally Posted by mc9320 View Post
    I'm from the UK I've been married to my Russian wife for nearly 15 years. We have two children, aged 5 and 1 and we live in London. Over the past 12 months my wife has become very unsettled living in the UK and rather disillusioned living here. I think a lot is because of COVID and all the lockdowns. However, in truth she's never really adapted to living in the UK, but rather just accepted it.

I'm just wondering on what it's like living in Moscow now.
    "Unsettled" is an apt descriptor of how I feel about living in the US now.

Rush Limbaugh, the one honest man in America, has passed. Things will never be the same.

For 31 years, he was the center point of American culture. Every day, from noon to 3 PM, he explained what was going on to the American people. He was my minister, my friend, my pal, my companion. We laughed at the corruption, our cynicism became humor. By understanding, we gained, we accepted, and had the will to carry on, we had faith that things would become right again.

The Left called him a racist, but he was tower of integrity, in an American landscape of immorality and rising corruption. Rush represented the traditional, moral, ethical America, the America where you were able to make things right if you were wronged. Where happiness was yours for the taking, where liberty and freedom thrived.

Now he is gone, and America has no moral compass. There is a spiritual hole in America.

In his wake, there is a rising tide of dishonesty and anger, even in the little village I live in, people are becoming covert and hostile.

If they locals were a sports team, I would call them "The Backbiters" - they are always denigrating you behind your back, which of course leads to misunderstandings and conflicts.

There won't be another Rush, just like there won't be another Jesus.

Where do we go from here? Certainly not into overt war, war has become covert, like Erdogan's proxy wars, where he secretly funds terrorist armies to Armenia and Syria.

Who or what will emerge to guide humanity out of its moral morass?
    "Defund the Social Sciences." - Fantastika, 2020