littleangels        English Nanny
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Check out this old Leather Strop

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    On the Yellow Brick Road, near El Dorado...
    Posts
    4,580
    Thanked: 1590

    Check out this old Leather Strop

    If you're not sure what this is, it's a leather strop, used for sharpening knives, or in the barbershop, to put a fine edge on the razor...

    Found it in rural village of Toronto, Kansas, and I think I only paid $12 for it. Paid that much because it came with an antique tape measure, too. Whoop! whoop! whoop!!

    I thought USSR comrades were supposed to be communists, not capitalists...

    I was gonna say 1900, but USSR was founded in 1919, so it's after that...

    The Russian says "Properly imported"? and "Made in the old manner"?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by TheInterocitor; 12-05-2021 at 08:12.
    "Defund the Social Sciences." - Fantastika, 2020

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to TheInterocitor For This Useful Post:

    Benedikt (12-05-2021)

  3. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    ALWAYS in trouble.....
    Posts
    19,594
    Thanked: 6352
    Quote Originally Posted by TheInterocitor View Post
    If you're not sure what this is, it's a leather strop, used for sharpening knives, or in the barbershop, to put a fine edge on the razor...

    Found it in rural village of Toronto, Kansas, and I think I only paid $12 for it. Paid that much because it came with an antique tape measure, too. Whoop! whoop! whoop!!

    I thought USSR comrades were supposed to be communists, not capitalists...

    I was gonna say 1900, but USSR was founded in 1919, so it's after that...

    The Russian says "Properly imported"? and "Made in the old manner"?
    USSR was officially founded in 1922, not 1917.

    Russian orthographic reform of 1917-1918 might also assist you in more accurately dating the later strap as it contains outdated letters.

    Your translation of 'properly' is actually 'Original'...............
    Если враг в пределах досягаемости, то и вы тоже!


  4. The Following User Says Thank You to TolkoRaz For This Useful Post:

    TheInterocitor (12-05-2021)

  5. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    There and back again
    Posts
    21,816
    Thanked: 3496
    Quote Originally Posted by TheInterocitor View Post
    but USSR was founded in 1919
    Definitely no, comrade. 30th Dec 1922.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheInterocitor View Post
    I thought USSR comrades were supposed to be communists, not capitalists...
    USSR comrades were running mixed economy till the end of 195x, when the dear Nikita Sergeevich decided to destroy all non-socialistic "enterprises". 2% of ppl were working in private sector, giving 9% GDP.
    All the world's Kremlin,
    And all the men and women merely agents

  6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FatAndy For This Useful Post:

    TheInterocitor (12-05-2021), TolkoRaz (12-05-2021)

  7. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    On the Yellow Brick Road, near El Dorado...
    Posts
    4,580
    Thanked: 1590
    Quote Originally Posted by TolkoRaz View Post
    USSR was officially founded in 1922, not 1917.

    Russian orthographic reform of 1917-1918 might also assist you in more accurately dating the later strap as it contains outdated letters.

    Your translation of 'properly' is actually 'Original'...............
    So it would say ""Originally imported"? That doesn't make sense, how would the strop-maker know at what future date it would be imported? Or is it a different definition for "imported"?
    "Defund the Social Sciences." - Fantastika, 2020

  8. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    438
    Thanked: 245
    Quote Originally Posted by TheInterocitor View Post
    So it would say ""Originally imported"? That doesn't make sense, how would the strop-maker know at what future date it would be imported? Or is it a different definition for "imported"?
    Genuine Imported ..... i.e. not a locally-produced fake.

  9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xp@ For This Useful Post:

    Benedikt (13-05-2021), TheInterocitor (12-05-2021)

  10. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    On the Yellow Brick Road, near El Dorado...
    Posts
    4,580
    Thanked: 1590
    The word under "Russia" is "Shell".

    Russia Shell
    "Defund the Social Sciences." - Fantastika, 2020

  11. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    438
    Thanked: 245
    Quote Originally Posted by TheInterocitor View Post
    The word under "Russia" is "Shell".

    Russia Shell
    It's Genuine Imported LEATHER (КОЖА)

    'Shell' is the type of leather - from the rear end of a horse.

    Strop-1.jpg

    Strop-2.jpg

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to xp@ For This Useful Post:

    TheInterocitor (13-05-2021)

  13. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    here,since many years
    Posts
    22,100
    Thanked: 5157
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shell_cordovan a short explaination why and what shell is or where the name comes from
    There is no greater treasure then pleasure....

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to Benedikt For This Useful Post:

    TheInterocitor (13-05-2021)

  15. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    On the Yellow Brick Road, near El Dorado...
    Posts
    4,580
    Thanked: 1590
    Quote Originally Posted by xp@ View Post
    It's Genuine Imported LEATHER (КОЖА)

    'Shell' is the type of leather - from the rear end of a horse.
    Mine, then, is made in the USA, but with imported Russian leather?
    "Defund the Social Sciences." - Fantastika, 2020

  16. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    438
    Thanked: 245
    Quote Originally Posted by TheInterocitor View Post
    Mine, then, is made in the USA, but with imported Russian leather?
    Whatever is stamped on the strop is for marketing purposes, so it wasn't necessarily made in the USA or with 'Russian' leather.

    The Russian stamp has a couple of errors that would not have been made by a Russian.

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to xp@ For This Useful Post:

    TheInterocitor (13-05-2021)

  18. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    On the Yellow Brick Road, near El Dorado...
    Posts
    4,580
    Thanked: 1590
    Thanks for the photos! I do see now, very, very dimly, on the strap, the same writings as in your photo, and "USA. It's almost completely worn away on mine. I did think the Russian language was a little funny.

    Any idea of date of manufacture?

    Here's another one by the same company, on Etsy:

    https://www.etsy.com/listing/711694286/vintage-new-old-stock-razor-strop-em-mfg?show-sold_out-listing_details
    "Defund the Social Sciences." - Fantastika, 2020

  19. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    here,since many years
    Posts
    22,100
    Thanked: 5157
    [QUOTE=TheInterocitor;1499449]Thanks for the photos! I do see now, very, very dimly, on the strap, the same writings as in your photo, and "USA. It's almost completely worn away on mine. I did think the Russian language was a little funny.

    Any idea of date of manufacture?

    Here's another one by the same company, on Etsy:


    look at the top, that steel (?) bracket. not in the center. the distance from one end to the other is bigger on the left than on the right side. sloppy made. definitely no professional company would do that?-everything -made in China-?
    not related here but a -fun fact-. In a town in Italy, known for their leather goods, that is belts and handbags, i think it is Prado, WIKI has an article and i posted it some time ago...60 000 Chinese are -slaving -away, living and working like in China. Air China even has a -shuttle service - to fly people back and forwards. Who knows, maybe your -stroop- made in the USA with genuine Russian leather, comes from there? NOTHING would surprise me anymore these days.
    also 2 english language mistakes, no one in the USA would make, I suppose. -CERTIFYD- and -Checks-..
    There is no greater treasure then pleasure....

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •