Thread: Details of authentication of marriage letter?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Details of authentication of marriage letter?

I'm a US citizen with ВНЖ engaged to a Russian woman. According to the steps on the US consulate site, https://ru.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen...zens/marriage/
    #4 is "Have the marriage letter authenticated," then lists two places in Moscow where this can be done -- one looks like a normal document center, md.mos.ru, but the other one is the Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, which requires an appointment, as as I saw in another message, probably takes a long time to complete.

I do not live in Moscow (I'm in St. Petersburg). I'm planning a one-day trip to Moscow to get the marriage letter stamped at the consulate and then immediately return home to St. Petersburg.

On the Russian site gosusligi, the list of steps simply mentions: Документы необходимо перевести на русский язык и заверить их подлинность у нотариуса.

I'd like to know from somebody who's gotten married in Russia, what the *exact* type of "authentication" of the marriage letter is required? The example the US consulate gives for the marriage letter is already in Russian language, so if it's not the translation that's being authenticated (there won't be a translation), just what is being authenticated?

At a notary of a multi-document center, what exact service should be requested?
    "What we need, as the ancients understood, is not a politician who is a business man, but a king who is a philosopher." -- G.K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by Bogatyr View Post
    I'm a US citizen with ВНЖ engaged to a Russian woman. According to the steps on the US consulate site, https://ru.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen...zens/marriage/
    #4 is "Have the marriage letter authenticated," then lists two places in Moscow where this can be done -- one looks like a normal document center, md.mos.ru, but the other one is the Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, which requires an appointment, as as I saw in another message, probably takes a long time to complete.

I do not live in Moscow (I'm in St. Petersburg). I'm planning a one-day trip to Moscow to get the marriage letter stamped at the consulate and then immediately return home to St. Petersburg.

On the Russian site gosusligi, the list of steps simply mentions: Документы необходимо перевести на русский язык и заверить их подлинность у нотариуса.

I'd like to know from somebody who's gotten married in Russia, what the *exact* type of "authentication" of the marriage letter is required? The example the US consulate gives for the marriage letter is already in Russian language, so if it's not the translation that's being authenticated (there won't be a translation), just what is being authenticated?

At a notary of a multi-document center, what exact service should be requested?
    i clicked on your link. did you read first the point Nr 3? THAT you have to either download, check if it needs a signature from someone at your Embassy... or do at your embassy. and since it is in English , it has to be translated into Russian langauge. therefore the original letter also has to have an apostille o nit. that will show the -notarius- who will do the translation that your letter was genuine. Do NOT go just to a translation bureau. or at least use one that is affiliated with a -notarius-. and then take it from there...
    There is no greater treasure then pleasure....

Quote Originally Posted by Benedikt View Post
    i clicked on your link. did you read first the point Nr 3? THAT you have to either download, check if it needs a signature from someone at your Embassy... or do at your embassy. and since it is in English , it has to be translated into Russian langauge. therefore the original letter also has to have an apostille o nit. that will show the -notarius- who will do the translation that your letter was genuine. Do NOT go just to a translation bureau. or at least use one that is affiliated with a -notarius-. and then take it from there...
    That's not possible since US embassy ceased all services to American citizens. It would be better to contact the country clerk and ask for certificate of no marriage or something like that or fill out the affidavit form stating that you're not married and have it notarized and apostilled in your state. Once that is done then have it notarized and translated into Russian.

Quote Originally Posted by Remington View Post
    That's not possible since US embassy ceased all services to American citizens. It would be better to contact the country clerk and ask for certificate of no marriage or something like that or fill out the affidavit form stating that you're not married and have it notarized and apostilled in your state. Once that is done then have it notarized and translated into Russian.
    apologies.i did not realised that the AMERICAN Embassy does not work for AMERICAN citizens anymore...
    There is no greater treasure then pleasure....

Quote Originally Posted by Benedikt View Post
    apologies.i did not realised that the AMERICAN Embassy does not work for AMERICAN citizens anymore...
    They don't and we still pay worldwide income tax to senile Uncle Sam. They're just more interested in bringing in more illegals from the south of the border.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Remington For This Useful Post:

Benedikt (06-05-2021)

I found another US citizen who did all this before me on another site. The marriage letter document in pt #3 is all in Russian, so needs no translation. The Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Moscow (and the Moi Dokumenti also in Moscow that I guess just ships the document to the MFA for you) looks like the only place that can authenticate/legalize a foreign-signed document for use within Russia. I'm trying to determine if another (e.g., St. Petersburg) office of MFA, which supposedly does offer similar legalization services, will do or not.

As for the US consulate, I read their press releases as well about shutting down services, but I emailed the stated address for advice on what to do in my situation, initially got an automated reply that said "there will be no further replies," but then received a human reply giving me an appointment for next week a few days later. Whether or not I got one of the last appointments available, I do not know. But it doesn't hurt to email and ask about one's situation.

In fact, the last time I checked, this page: https://ru.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/
    which mentions the reduction in services due to the 75% reduction in staff, explicitly mentions that marriage letter notaries are still being offered.
    Last edited by Bogatyr; 06-05-2021 at 10:43.
    "What we need, as the ancients understood, is not a politician who is a business man, but a king who is a philosopher." -- G.K. Chesterton

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogatyr For This Useful Post:

Armoured (13-05-2021), xt-tsi (06-05-2021)