littleangels        English Nanny
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about vehicle import taxes

Question about vehicle import taxes

So I have a motorcycle I like. It's a 2009 model and slightly over 1000cc's. I checked the import taxes some time ago and the fee would be outrageous. I forget exactly how much it would cost, but I think it was like $6000 or more. In which case I would just sell it. The taxes and shipping costs would just be too much.

But I thought I should ask here first. Is there maybe some exemption for someone moving there? Or maybe some little loophole you guys know about?

Same question for cars. The taxes for importing older vehicles are incredible - any way to work around paying them (legally)?

Quote Originally Posted by Freud View Post
    So I have a motorcycle I like. It's a 2009 model and slightly over 1000cc's. I checked the import taxes some time ago and the fee would be outrageous. I forget exactly how much it would cost, but I think it was like $6000 or more. In which case I would just sell it. The taxes and shipping costs would just be too much.

But I thought I should ask here first. Is there maybe some exemption for someone moving there? Or maybe some little loophole you guys know about?

Same question for cars. The taxes for importing older vehicles are incredible - any way to work around paying them (legally)?

https://forum.expat.ru/showthread.ph...oming-resident maybe you could take it up further from here? Or what about VADIM from Liga consulting. They seem to know God and the word and every law in Russia...
    There is no greater treasure then pleasure....

Quote Originally Posted by Benedikt View Post

https://forum.expat.ru/showthread.ph...oming-resident maybe you could take it up further from here? Or what about VADIM from Liga consulting. They seem to know God and the word and every law in Russia...

From what we have read online, you have to pay import taxes unless you only import the vehicle temporarily. I just thought I would check here to see if anyone knew of some exception to the rule.

Seems like that other thread went nowhere as well. I'm thinking that's because there's no exceptions.

That's because no one moves to russia anymore. The people that go arrive with a suitcase.

There was a massive exodus in 2014 because of ukraine 1 and it never was the same.

Also, if you do import exotic (not to you!) Vehicles, parts will also be hard to find and expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Freud View Post

if you want to bring your bike ( a Harley?) maybe contact one of them? THEY might have an answer. my reply might be a long shot, but who knows https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_Wolves#Canada it is a WIKI site and on the fet bottom you can change the languages...) as far as I know the Night Wolves are the biggest Biker Club in Russia. An also close to VV, if that might be of any good or help.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Benedikt For This Useful Post:

Freud (27-04-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by americaninmoscow View Post
    That's because no one moves to russia anymore. The people that go arrive with a suitcase.

There was a massive exodus in 2014 because of ukraine 1 and it never was the same.

Also, if you do import exotic (not to you!) Vehicles, parts will also be hard to find and expensive.
    If you haven't noticed people are fleeing their repressive governments and coming to Russia. I have been contacted by 4 different people, 3 Americans and one European. All asking for information about coming to Russia.

If it's a rice burner he should have no problem with parts. I would just sell the bike and buy one here. You can find some good deals on the used market.
    If you trust the government you obviously failed history class. " George Carlin"

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Uncle Wally For This Useful Post:

Benedikt (25-04-2021), Freud (27-04-2021)

[QUOTE=Uncle Wally;1499159]If you haven't noticed people are fleeing their repressive governments and coming to Russia. I have been contacted by 4 different people, 3 Americans and one European. All asking for information about coming to Russia.

i thought, or was that long time ago, there is a law, when one moves to Russia, that one can bring in tax free, all your persona÷ belongings. that is furniture, computer and the likes. does that still exist? and does that exclude cars or bikes?
    i also seem to remember, again that was a long time ago, to drive your foreign ( in my case it was the EU) car here, you leave once a year for one day over the border. go shopping to TRABZON, Turkey. Or Stockman in Helsinki. come back and get the stamps... but one needs than also tons of papers, international drivers license, insurance and what not.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Wally View Post
    If you haven't noticed people are fleeing their repressive governments and coming to Russia. I have been contacted by 4 different people, 3 Americans and one European. All asking for information about coming to Russia.

If it's a rice burner he should have no problem with parts. I would just sell the bike and buy one here. You can find some good deals on the used market.
    I am sure you have.

So, what kind of bang up advice would you give to newcomers? Feel free to post a new thread and keep us updated. Heck man, start a consulting biz. Then start a youtube channel documenting your new "move-to-russia consulting biz" and get paid for what you are already getting paid for. The content will create itself. As you said, you already have lots of potential clients and the free publicity will no doubt gain you more.

Do it. Seriously. Get paid for what you believe in.

[QUOTE=Benedikt;1499161]

i thought, or was that long time ago, there is a law, when one moves to Russia, that one can bring in tax free, all your persona÷ belongings. that is furniture, computer and the likes. does that still exist? and does that exclude cars or bikes?
    i also seem to remember, again that was a long time ago, to drive your foreign ( in my case it was the EU) car here, you leave once a year for one day over the border. go shopping to TRABZON, Turkey. Or Stockman in Helsinki. come back and get the stamps... but one needs than also tons of papers, international drivers license, insurance and what not.
    yes, there are all kinds of neat tricks.

But this guy is a very simple american who no doubt, just wants to laugh it up and have a few laughs. He doesn't want to learn how the rest of the world works and how to be "tricky". He just wants to pay taxes and have the gov go away. He already said he was ex-gov worker. So, please don't confuse him.

Besides, 6k usd is a small tax to pay for a rich person. In russia, you have to double your costs, so if you you are going to import something, it might as well be something you can sell at a massive profit. Be a good capitalist and pass that tax cost on to someone else.

I am sure you have.

So, what kind of bang up advice would you give to newcomers? Feel free to post a new thread and keep us updated. Heck man, start a consulting biz. Then start a youtube channel documenting your new "move-to-russia consulting biz" and get paid for what you are already getting paid for. The content will create itself. As you said, you already have lots of potential clients and the free publicity will no doubt gain you more.

Excuse me, I am not a slut or a whore or pimp like you seem to be. I have very little to worry about and my wife and daughter are financially secure for the rest of their lives.

As far as the advice I give that's between me and them.

Myself I don't run after money, I did what I wanted to and if it made money then ok but that wasn't my only mission in life. That is not something that will make you happy.
    If you trust the government you obviously failed history class. " George Carlin"

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Uncle Wally For This Useful Post:

Benedikt (25-04-2021), Freud (27-04-2021)

Excuse me, I am not a slut or a whore or pimp like you seem to be. I have very little to worry about and my wife and daughter are financially secure for the rest of their lives.

As far as the advice I give that's between me and them.

Myself I don't run after money, I did what I wanted to and if it made money then ok but that wasn't my only mission in life. That is not something that will make you happy.
    So, the point is, you have no advice to give to anyone. nothing that would be worth any money. which means your thoughts = $0.

Thanks for playing.

I am sure you have.

with all your negative attitude, i wonder why are you still here? if everything is so better statesides or even in China, apparently why not pack up and leave?

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Benedikt For This Useful Post:

Uncle Wally (25-04-2021)

So, the point is, you have no advice to give to anyone. nothing that would be worth any money. which means your thoughts = $0.

Thanks for playing.
    Why would I give it away for free?

Why are you here? You know it's all better back in America and all.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Wally For This Useful Post:

Freud (27-04-2021)

Yes, I've never heard so many people talk about moving overseas. Most talk about South or Central America, though. Or sometimes Europe. Russia has been demonized pretty well in most people's minds.

I don't know if the people will actually move. It's much easier to just talk. I guess it partly depends on whether things become as bad as it currently appears they will.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Freud For This Useful Post:

Uncle Wally (28-04-2021)

[QUOTE=Benedikt;1499161]

Yeah, I wouldn't consider it viable anyway if I had to drive out of the country once a year.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast