littleangels        English Nanny
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: US/Russia Tit for Tat

US/Russia Tit for Tat

The US will stop issuing most visas to Russian citizens in Russia and won't offer notary services, notices of births abroad or passport renewal services to US citizens as of 12 May.

Something else to keep an eye on for US citizens and Russians trying to travel to the US.

Let's see if Russia reciprocates and stops issuing visas to US citizens in the USA.

https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2021/...-hiring-a73792
    Last edited by xt-tsi; 01-05-2021 at 09:34.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to xt-tsi For This Useful Post:

Bogatyr (01-05-2021), Remington (02-05-2021), Uncle Wally (01-05-2021)

Not much difference for US citizens. My passport is about to expire so I tried to make an appointment. It was "emergency only" because of covid virus.
    If you're going to be dumb, you better be tough...

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bydand For This Useful Post:

Uncle Wally (01-05-2021), xt-tsi (01-05-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by bydand View Post
    Not much difference for US citizens. My passport is about to expire so I tried to make an appointment. It was "emergency only" because of covid virus.
    I don't see on what basis they can deny services to American citizens. We don't fall under "tit-for-tat". It adds up to punishing American citizens for being in the country.

I tried to get an appointment. April and May were blocked out, and they weren't accepting appointments in June.

Very inconvenient. Now I can't get the required form notarized that allows me to marry my Russian fiance. Well, I've got the ball rolling on citizenship in any case, so once I get that we can get married as locals. Thankfully, I renewed my US passport not that long ago.
    "What we need, as the ancients understood, is not a politician who is a business man, but a king who is a philosopher." -- G.K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by rusmeister View Post
    I don't see on what basis they can deny services to American citizens. We don't fall under "tit-for-tat". It adds up to punishing American citizens for being in the country.

I tried to get an appointment. April and May were blocked out, and they weren't accepting appointments in June.
    i agree.

I have to wonder why the US Embassy can't hire US nationals to do the work being done in by American Citizens Services at the Embassy. Why is a Russian national a more reliable option?

I've reached out to a friend active in Amcham who has contacts in the embassy. US citizens need to put some pressure on the embassy. I'm trying to figure out how to do it. The Embassy should be issuing US passports, notaries and certifying birth records . Without notary services, a lot of folks will be facing difficulties. And what happens if someone can't get a passport issued for reasons beyond their control? Let's say a passport is stolen. Would that person be stuck indefinitely in Russia?

Write your Congressman then donate $500 to whatever charity that they are laundering money through.
    If you trust the government you obviously failed history class. " George Carlin"

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Uncle Wally For This Useful Post:

Remington (02-05-2021), xt-tsi (02-05-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by xt-tsi View Post
    i agree.

I have to wonder why the US Embassy can't hire US nationals to do the work being done in by American Citizens Services at the Embassy. Why is a Russian national a more reliable option?

I've reached out to a friend active in Amcham who has contacts in the embassy. US citizens need to put some pressure on the embassy. I'm trying to figure out how to do it. The Embassy should be issuing US passports, notaries and certifying birth records . Without notary services, a lot of folks will be facing difficulties. And what happens if someone can't get a passport issued for reasons beyond their control? Let's say a passport is stolen. Would that person be stuck indefinitely in Russia?
    A Russian local is cheaper. They don’t have to pay transport, plane tickets, visa support, provide housing. You can easily hire two or three Russians from Moscow with US passports for the price of one American from America.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to rusmeister For This Useful Post:

FatAndy (03-05-2021)

You could try Armenia as US embassy is open and Americans are allowed to enter there as well.

Quote Originally Posted by xt-tsi View Post
    The US will stop issuing most visas to Russian citizens in Russia and won't offer notary services, notices of births abroad or passport renewal services to US citizens as of 12 May.

Something else to keep an eye on for US citizens and Russians trying to travel to the US.

Let's see if Russia reciprocates and stops issuing visas to US citizens in the USA.

https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2021/...-hiring-a73792
    I think the next step will be cutting SWIFT off from Russia. US-Russia relations have gone downhill in the last 15 years and it's not getting any better.

"You could try Armenia as US embassy is open and Americans are allowed to enter there as well."

Yep, it might come to that. Haven't been to Armenia since the 80's, would be glad to go. Or go up to the Baltics on a "US passport issuance run" well in advance of re-issuance time.

Quote Originally Posted by Remington View Post
    You could try Armenia as US embassy is open and Americans are allowed to enter there as well.
    The general problem is if one’s passport expires this month, and it takes a month or more for them to process an application and issue a new passport. Sure, you could go somewhere and make an application, but if you can’t afford to live there for over a month, you’d have to return. And later, not having a valid passport, you wouldn’t be able to go anywhere to pick anything up.

Or apply well in advance and make two trips.

Pain in the backside. And here with dual citizenship I thought that worrying about getting travel documents was behind me.

The general problem is if one’s passport expires this month, and it takes a month or more for them to process an application and issue a new passport. Sure, you could go somewhere and make an application, but if you can’t afford to live there for over a month, you’d have to return. And later, not having a valid passport, you wouldn’t be able to go anywhere to pick anything up.
    Not necessarily. They can mail you the passport. They did that with my son's passport recently before US Embassy in Moscow ceased the passport services. So you basically just have to visit once and they will mail you the passport. You can email the embassy in Armenia to see if they can send the passport in diplomatic courier to US Embassy in Moscow and mail it to you using Pony Express.

Thanks, Remington. Another angle. Meanwhile the US Embassy website says: "If you are resident in Russia and require a new U.S. passport to remain legally present, or if you require an emergency U.S. passport for a demonstrable, life or death emergency (booking travel with an expired U.S. passport does not qualify) please send an email to moscowacs@state.gov and we will work to accommodate your request."

So folks can start here. However, I don't need a US passport to be resident in Russia. More irony.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xt-tsi For This Useful Post:

Bogatyr (03-05-2021), FatAndy (03-05-2021)

Also can confirm the "they mail you the new passport" (you do not need to return to pick it up) works. But I did that renewal through the Moscow US consulate, not sure if that works with a different country's US consulate (then delivering to Russia). They could conceivably indicate that the new passport (probably processed in the US) could be sent directly to the Russia US consulate instead of first to the country where you apply.
    "What we need, as the ancients understood, is not a politician who is a business man, but a king who is a philosopher." -- G.K. Chesterton

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast