littleangels        English Nanny
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: American priest living in Russia

American priest living in Russia

If you trust the government you obviously failed history class. " George Carlin"

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Uncle Wally For This Useful Post:

Benedikt (20-04-2021), Freud (23-04-2021), rusmeister (20-04-2021), TheInterocitor (20-04-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Wally View Post
    I’ve actually met this guy. At first glance, the whole idea seems kooky. But I was deeply impressed by his family. His older daughters showed themselves capable of grasping the issues in Chesterton’s “The Ballad of the White Horse”, which is a real test of intelligence. And they seem a lot more bound together as a family. I’ve watched my own family scattered in different directions by the demands of outside society that he has effectively excluded, and feel some envy, even. He’s quite likable if you actually meet him.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to rusmeister For This Useful Post:

Uncle Wally (20-04-2021)

On the Yellow Brick Road, near El Dorado...
    I see he has the book "501 Russian Verbs."
    "Defund the Social Sciences." - Fantastika, 2020

6. The Following User Says Thank You to TheInterocitor For This Useful Post:

Freud (23-04-2021)

- eight children-, 3 more and he has his own football team!!! but a great guy and a great video. and indeed, there are normal people here, with food in the shops and heat i nthe apartments. sure, not everything is perfect, neither is it in the USA. but it might explain why I rather live here, since 30 years already, then -there - where i was born...
    There is no greater treasure then pleasure....

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Benedikt For This Useful Post:

rusmeister (20-04-2021), Uncle Wally (20-04-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Benedikt View Post
    - eight children-, 3 more and he has his own football team!!! but a great guy and a great video. and indeed, there are normal people here, with food in the shops and heat i nthe apartments. sure, not everything is perfect, neither is it in the USA. but it might explain why I rather live here, since 30 years already, then -there - where i was born...
    Here we have, for the small village, 8-man football.

Quote Originally Posted by TheInterocitor View Post
    Here we have, for the small village, 8-man football.
    and boys AND girls playing together in one team?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Benedikt For This Useful Post:

TheInterocitor (21-04-2021)

Interesting interview. The guy seems at peace.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to xt-tsi For This Useful Post:

Uncle Wally (23-04-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by TheInterocitor View Post
    I see he has the book "501 Russian Verbs."

HA! That's funny! I've got the same book!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Freud For This Useful Post:

Uncle Wally (23-04-2021)

That's an awesome video!

This guy seems pretty nice, too:

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Freud For This Useful Post:

Uncle Wally (23-04-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Freud View Post
    That's an awesome video!

Yeah. I haven’t met that guy, but have had a few online interactions with him. He is a sharp cookie. He’s also an older father, something I relate to.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rusmeister For This Useful Post:

Benedikt (23-04-2021), Freud (23-04-2021)

HA! That's funny! I've got the same book!
    I have a story about that... I had just rented an office and hired an office manager, Yulia. She wanted the job, she had just graduated from the university, she spoke excellent English but I hesitated to hire her. I had never hired an employee before, it was my first business to have employees. She asked me "What's wrong with me? I can do whatever you want, I am very qualified, etc." I hired her the next day, set her up on a computer and gave her that book "501 Russian Verbs". I asked Yulia to copy everything in the book into a text file. I had in mind to build a Russian-English translation machine and sought to get the root verb information - conjugations through the tenses - into a table for a database. Also each verb had common idioms used for that verb, and prepositions that were used with it, including the prepositional case. Valuable information. It would be a good start at building a dictionary for use in a translation program. Also I gave her several thousand audio files (each file was a spoken word, in Chinese, Russian, German, English, etc.) and asked her to clean them up - they had silent parts and noises that needed to be edited out. She was sharp as a whip and learned everything instantly, including the audio editor. I was so glad I had hired her.

With that I went back to the US to transfer some money to the Russian Bank, so I could run the company and pay the employees. I came back two weeks later and Yulia had finished the 501 Verbs book and the audio files. But a few weeks later, Andrei and I (Andrei was university student, and he was expert at building PHP-driven websites) upgraded the operating systems for the office computers, and I forgot and reformatted Yulia's hard drive. Losing all her work.

Later on, I realized I could have saved Yulia all that work, and just scanned each page and run OCR (Optical Character recognition) on it ...

I can not remember if we used the "501 Russian Verbs" or if it was "The Big Silver Book of Russian Verbs." It was a thick book. At lunchtime I would go browsing through bookstores and sidewalk markets and pick up books on translation, and foreign language dictionaries. Soon we had a small library of language-related books. On Friday afternoons, we played a board game that had questions in various languages, but the house rule was you were not allowed to select questions in your native language.
    Last edited by TheInterocitor; 23-04-2021 at 08:07.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to TheInterocitor For This Useful Post:

Freud (23-04-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by rusmeister View Post
    Yeah. I haven’t met that guy, but have had a few online interactions with him. He is a sharp cookie. He’s also an older father, something I relate to.
    older types, does not matter which nationality, coma also most of the time with their family or with plans to have a family here. they are not the -adventurous - types . who think with a few words of english can make a quick buck here. impress with their -knowledge of - western democracy-. and of course want to save the poor, downtrodden, Vodka swilling, wife beating Russians with their bible or other books from descending to hell, or from an even worse fate. who see everything negative, dont like anything and find it back home anyway better. they are gone soon. and good riddance of them.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Benedikt For This Useful Post:

Freud (23-04-2021)

That's an awesome video!

He's saying the same things I do, Russia is for family, children, has good schools and health care. That's why I love it here.
    If you trust the government you obviously failed history class. " George Carlin"

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Uncle Wally For This Useful Post:

Freud (23-04-2021), TheInterocitor (24-04-2021)

s. But a few weeks later, Andrei and I (Andrei was university student, and he was expert at building PHP-driven websites) upgraded the operating systems for the office computers, and I forgot and reformatted Yulia's hard drive. Losing all her work.

then your expert -computer upgrader - was a dud. HE should have checked everything before ,save everything before doing any upgrading. on each and every computer,including Julias...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast