littleangels        English Nanny
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17

Thread: DAP Pin and Book Burning

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    On the Yellow Brick Road, near El Dorado...
    Posts
    4,505
    Thanked: 1562

    DAP Pin and Book Burning

    Can't sell, on eBay, this "canceled" Dr. Seuss Book I got for $10:

    Can't sell it on Ebay.

    Got this pin for $1. This is not the photo of the one I have, mine is in perfect condition. What does DAP stand for? "National Socialistische D.A.P."

    Also can't sell it on Ebay.

    Says something about a society which burns (or cancels) books....

    m_6069714bcb692c8cbb6c8867.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Defund the Social Sciences." - Fantastika, 2020

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    here,since many years
    Posts
    21,904
    Thanked: 5114
    Deutsche Arbeiter Partei...https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deutsche_Arbeiterpartei o nthe left side you can change the article into english...
    There is no greater treasure then pleasure....

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Benedikt For This Useful Post:

    TheInterocitor (08-04-2021)

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    On the Yellow Brick Road, near El Dorado...
    Posts
    4,505
    Thanked: 1562
    Quote Originally Posted by Benedikt View Post
    Deutsche Arbeiter Partei...https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deutsche_Arbeiterpartei o nthe left side you can change the article into english...
    It is strange, I can understand German when someone speaks it to me, but I can't speak it very well myself.
    "Defund the Social Sciences." - Fantastika, 2020

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to TheInterocitor For This Useful Post:

    Benedikt (09-04-2021)

  6. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    On the Yellow Brick Road, near El Dorado...
    Posts
    4,505
    Thanked: 1562
    I have an old Duden from 1942, I think I paid $24 for it about 35 years ago, in a Washington, DC bookstore. I wouldn't part with it for less than $1000 now.

    It is quite large, maybe 25 cm x 30 cm, and has about 3500 pages. About 8-10 cm thick. The format is an illustration, with the Deutsch, then 4 pages of translations - English, French, Spanish, and Italian - then the next illustration, etc. Very detailed illustrations.

    What I would like to do is copy it, and sell the copies, so I am wondering if it is protected by copyright. It was printed in Switzerland. There is a notice in the front that it is protected by some sort of war-powers copyright.

    If I make copies of it, I would have to run all the pages through a scanner, and in the process, destroy the book. A real shame. However it is probably the most concise snapshot and illustrated compendium of 20th century and prior, world science, customs and technology, ever compiled, and it would be a shame to not pass this on to posterity.

    I am wondering if Duden would come after me for copyright violation. What is Duden, anyway? They're not a private company, are they?
    "Defund the Social Sciences." - Fantastika, 2020

  7. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    ALWAYS in trouble.....
    Posts
    19,558
    Thanked: 6327
    Quote Originally Posted by TheInterocitor View Post

    What is Duden, anyway? They're not a private company, are they?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duden
    Если враг в пределах досягаемости, то и вы тоже!


  8. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    ALWAYS in trouble.....
    Posts
    19,558
    Thanked: 6327
    Quote Originally Posted by TheInterocitor View Post
    Can't sell, on eBay, this "canceled" Dr. Seuss Book I got for $10:

    Can't sell it on Ebay.

    Got this pin for $1. This is not the photo of the one I have, mine is in perfect condition. What does DAP stand for? "National Socialistische D.A.P."

    Also can't sell it on Ebay.

    Says something about a society which burns (or cancels) books....

    m_6069714bcb692c8cbb6c8867.jpg
    Why is the book 'cancelled'?

    Because it asks if 'Iran'.............
    Если враг в пределах досягаемости, то и вы тоже!


  9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TolkoRaz For This Useful Post:

    americaninmoscow (23-05-2021), Uncle Wally (08-04-2021)

  10. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    On the Yellow Brick Road, near El Dorado...
    Posts
    4,505
    Thanked: 1562
    Quote Originally Posted by TolkoRaz View Post
    Why is the book 'cancelled'?

    Because it asks if 'Iran'.............
    That one temporarily clogged up the interocitor filter system, I had to search engine that... now I got it.

    The nation of Iran lies between the ancient lands of Babylon to the west and the mountains of Afghanistan to the east...
    In other words, it’s between Iraq and a hard place.

    What would happen if Iran became communist?
    It would become Weran

    In Iran everyone is so very afraid of Spiders, but in
    Iraq no phobia...

    Before training its killer dolphins, Iran had to convert them to
    fishlam.

    Stop they just get worse
    Last edited by TheInterocitor; 09-04-2021 at 04:05.
    "Defund the Social Sciences." - Fantastika, 2020

  11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheInterocitor For This Useful Post:

    americaninmoscow (23-05-2021), xt-tsi (10-04-2021)

  12. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    here,since many years
    Posts
    21,904
    Thanked: 5114
    Quote Originally Posted by TheInterocitor View Post
    I have an old Duden from 1942, I think I paid $24 for it about 35 years ago, in a Washington, DC bookstore. I wouldn't part with it for less than $1000 now.

    It is quite large, maybe 25 cm x 30 cm, and has about 3500 pages. About 8-10 cm thick. The format is an illustration, with the Deutsch, then 4 pages of translations - English, French, Spanish, and Italian - then the next illustration, etc. Very detailed illustrations.

    What I would like to do is copy it, and sell the copies, so I am wondering if it is protected by copyright. It was printed in Switzerland. There is a notice in the front that it is protected by some sort of war-powers copyright.

    If I make copies of it, I would have to run all the pages through a scanner, and in the process, destroy the book. A real shame. However it is probably the most concise snapshot and illustrated compendium of 20th century and prior, world science, customs and technology, ever compiled, and it would be a shame to not pass this on to posterity.

    I am wondering if Duden would come after me for copyright violation. What is Duden, anyway? They're not a private company, are they?
    dont think you will get that. another Duden dictionary,much earlier, but also quite different. but what they are charging for delivery is just crecy. they make the books cheap and load it later with the delivery charges. one way to make their money. DUDEN by the way are still around. they dont produce them as BOOKS. but the electronic way is still being published and much easier also to be kept up to date. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Duden-Ortho...wAAOSw3ppgS8kw
    There is no greater treasure then pleasure....

  13. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    here,since many years
    Posts
    21,904
    Thanked: 5114
    Quote Originally Posted by TheInterocitor View Post
    I have an old Duden from 1942, I think I paid $24 for it about 35 years ago, in a Washington, DC bookstore. I wouldn't part with it for less than $1000 now.

    It is quite large, maybe 25 cm x 30 cm, and has about 3500 pages. About 8-10 cm thick. The format is an illustration, with the Deutsch, then 4 pages of translations - English, French, Spanish, and Italian - then the next illustration, etc. Very detailed illustrations.

    What I would like to do is copy it, and sell the copies, so I am wondering if it is protected by copyright. It was printed in Switzerland. There is a notice in the front that it is protected by some sort of war-powers copyright.

    If I make copies of it, I would have to run all the pages through a scanner, and in the process, destroy the book. A real shame. However it is probably the most concise snapshot and illustrated compendium of 20th century and prior, world science, customs and technology, ever compiled, and it would be a shame to not pass this on to posterity.

    I am wondering if Duden would come after me for copyright violation. What is Duden, anyway? They're not a private company, are they?
    you give the book to a PROFESSIONAL company- restorator. they will do the scanning without destroying the book. but it will cost. for copyright issues you might want to write to them..https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biblio...sches_Institut you know on the left side is a button to change to English...
    There is no greater treasure then pleasure....

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to Benedikt For This Useful Post:

    TheInterocitor (09-04-2021)

  15. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    On the Yellow Brick Road, near El Dorado...
    Posts
    4,505
    Thanked: 1562
    Thanks, Bennie, I will check it out.

    I still have my old Kinderduden, printed in the 1960's or 70's. While, on the weekend, the rest of the GI's at the base in Bitburg were getting sloushed with Jim Beam and Johnny Walker, and making Zechtours, I was in the library going over each page of the Kinderduden until I had every object memorized.

    Russia needs a book like that, the Kinderduden.

    Japan also has a similar book, like the Kinderduden, but it is not found in the US or other countries. I am convinced Germany and Japan led the world in technology becuase they start out their children with schoolroom educational books like the illustrated dudens...
    "Defund the Social Sciences." - Fantastika, 2020

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to TheInterocitor For This Useful Post:

    Benedikt (20-05-2021)

  17. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    On the Yellow Brick Road, near El Dorado...
    Posts
    4,505
    Thanked: 1562
    Here is the old Duden I have. I took it to my printer, and they are scanning it - all 2800 pages. Once I get the scans, I can OCR it (Optical Character recognition) and make a website.

    Figuring out what the copyright status is, that's enough to employ a squad of attorneys. Whoever heard a book publishing company printing a book "FOR" another book publishing company, or, a "vested" copyright?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Defund the Social Sciences." - Fantastika, 2020

  18. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    On the Yellow Brick Road, near El Dorado...
    Posts
    4,505
    Thanked: 1562
    Each Illustration/Topic is diagrammed in five languages: English, Spanish, German, French and Italian.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Defund the Social Sciences." - Fantastika, 2020

  19. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    On the Yellow Brick Road, near El Dorado...
    Posts
    4,505
    Thanked: 1562
    Quote Originally Posted by Benedikt View Post
    you give the book to a PROFESSIONAL company- restorator. they will do the scanning without destroying the book. but it will cost. for copyright issues you might want to write to them..https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biblio...sches_Institut you know on the left side is a button to change to English...
    My printer is scanning it for 90c a scan. Each scan is two pages (the open book laid flat) so it will run me about $150.

    I did write a letter to Duden, back in the early 1990's. I proposed working with them to put their illustrated Dudens on-line, with audio, so you could click on the items in each illustration, and hear the word pronounced. I don't recall if they wrote back to me or not, but they were not interested.

    So I created a simpler version, based on the Kinderduden. About 30 (software)pages, maybe 800 words (items) to click on.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by TheInterocitor; 11-05-2021 at 15:24.
    "Defund the Social Sciences." - Fantastika, 2020

  20. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    here,since many years
    Posts
    21,904
    Thanked: 5114
    [QUOTE=TheInterocitor;1499417]My printer is scanning it for 90c a scan. Each scan is two pages (the open book laid flat) so it will run me about $150.

    suppose it might be worth to -invest- a few ( hundreds...) of $$$ and talk to a -copyright lawyer-? even -off the record - just to find out what the law says about copyright? maybe not related here ( it is also packed away in storage and i cant get to it NOW) https://ru.search.yahoo.com/search;_...b-top&fr=crmas i have an English langauge only,dictionary with pictures, exactly as you showed it here on 2 photos. but just english language. it had also lots of fruits and vegetables and thel ieks in it, so i used it in the kitchen... same as -the Book of Ingredients-. But that dictionary was new, wonder what copyright issues they had to tackle, If there were still any?
    There is no greater treasure then pleasure....

  21. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    On the Yellow Brick Road, near El Dorado...
    Posts
    4,505
    Thanked: 1562
    Okay. so i took the big Duden book to a printer and his wife was scanning it, lay the open book flat on the scanner, scan two pages at a time.

    Really excellent scans, very detailed, high resolution the images are. And the text in five languages - German English French Italian and Spanish. So i can use OCR software to copy it into text files.

    She is about 1/3 of the way through the Duden then he got hit with ransomware attack. The hackers were encrypting his files on the hard drive, including about 1000 scanned pages (500 files) of my book.

    The hackers demanded $200,000 in Bitcoin. The printer is not a rich man. One employee, his wife. They came down to $10,000 demand, but he did not pay. He called the police, but they can do nothing.

    He is using mostly Windows 7 machines. Some old legacy software he needs for various machines in his shop, they run on XP. But he said the hackers were able to get in through a vulnerability in his "remote access" software. That is, when he is home, he can access the machines in the shop. That software, the remote access software, the hackers were able to ride in through it, it is not secure.

    And he had NO BACKUPS.

    So, a word to the wise: if you have valuable data, be sure to do regular backups. I have "IDrive" on my computer, everything gets backed up every night. Only $35 a year.
    Or, you can do your own backups for free, using Google Drive, or store stuff elsewhere in the cloud.
    "Defund the Social Sciences." - Fantastika, 2020

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •