littleangels        English Nanny
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 41

Thread: Glad to find this forum

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    moscow
    Posts
    1,888
    Thanked: 941
    For this price range, you might consider getting a custom build. 15 mn rub is a lot of money.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    moscow
    Posts
    1,888
    Thanked: 941
    I looked again and everything about that place screams summer use only. From the lack of obvious heating sources to the garage full of summer type equipment to the lack of children's clothing/toys to the trampoline outside.

    But, that aside, it's a good example to begin with.

    So, I also didn't see any power lines, which means it's prob part of a complex (they are underground). This means that it might have security, wh oh is good, cuz u don't want stuff stolen (which is prob why it's so barren inside. So, I didn't see a y bars over the windows, so that's good. But living in a complex has other issues, like, accessibility during the winter. If other people do t live there, then no one will plow the roads and no one might plow anyways. There is no curbside garbage, but there might be a bin or dumpster onsite, but u will have to pay extra for that.

    That well is called a kholodits and it's basically a small reservoir just beneath the surface. You have special ways to clean and take care of them. I have no idea how, because my water source is a traditional well (skazhveniya) bored 150 meters down. It's super deep. Mine works all year around, I don't know if that well In the pics does.

    40x sotok is nice. If I remember correctly, I have either 16 or 18 and that comes out to a 1/4 acre, or about one us size city lot. Most russians want smaller cuz it's hard to keep up. Mother nature in russia is brutal and if u fall behind, then it will erase all of your work very quickly. And that doesn't include spring, when the ground heaves and water melts and gets into everything then freezes and breaks/cracks everything. And then you have the stupid animals that go everywhere and do whatever they want. For instance, field mice love to move on ip and become house mice. So, that brings us to the foundation. Was that one on concrete? Or metal pilings? The earth is alive in russia and things aren't built to last forever. If you go the cheap way and just set something on the ground, it will settle in strange ways and the floors will be off. Also, they use wet wood to build, so as it ages and dries.out, it cracks. A lot.

    + More.

    Good luck with the hunt.

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    moscow
    Posts
    1,888
    Thanked: 941
    Actually, I did find some radiators under the windows, so maybe it does heat up some.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    14,848
    Thanked: 4820
    Quote Originally Posted by americaninmoscow View Post
    I looked again and everything about that place screams summer use only. From the lack of obvious heating sources to the garage full of summer type equipment to the lack of children's clothing/toys to the trampoline outside.

    But, that aside, it's a good example to begin with.

    So, I also didn't see any power lines, which means it's prob part of a complex (they are underground). This means that it might have security, wh oh is good, cuz u don't want stuff stolen (which is prob why it's so barren inside. So, I didn't see a y bars over the windows, so that's good. But living in a complex has other issues, like, accessibility during the winter. If other people do t live there, then no one will plow the roads and no one might plow anyways. There is no curbside garbage, but there might be a bin or dumpster onsite, but u will have to pay extra for that.

    That well is called a kholodits and it's basically a small reservoir just beneath the surface. You have special ways to clean and take care of them. I have no idea how, because my water source is a traditional well (skazhveniya) bored 150 meters down. It's super deep. Mine works all year around, I don't know if that well In the pics does.

    40x sotok is nice. If I remember correctly, I have either 16 or 18 and that comes out to a 1/4 acre, or about one us size city lot. Most russians want smaller cuz it's hard to keep up. Mother nature in russia is brutal and if u fall behind, then it will erase all of your work very quickly. And that doesn't include spring, when the ground heaves and water melts and gets into everything then freezes and breaks/cracks everything. And then you have the stupid animals that go everywhere and do whatever they want. For instance, field mice love to move on ip and become house mice. So, that brings us to the foundation. Was that one on concrete? Or metal pilings? The earth is alive in russia and things aren't built to last forever. If you go the cheap way and just set something on the ground, it will settle in strange ways and the floors will be off. Also, they use wet wood to build, so as it ages and dries.out, it cracks. A lot.

    + More.

    Good luck with the hunt.
    You must have missed the snow blower and heaters behind the curtains. Since the house is made of brick the walls are most likely thick with insulation between the layers. It also looks like it has 3 bathrooms so possibly has city water. The new homes going up in my area are all getting hot and cold water, they are definitely for year round living.
    If you trust the government you obviously failed history class. " George Carlin"

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    14,848
    Thanked: 4820
    Take a look at photo 21, and you can see how thick the walls are, not a meter but close to it. That house will be warm in the winter and cool in the summer. I love brick home. Our building as one meter thick brick walls, even the inside walls are brick. Everything is nice and straight.
    If you trust the government you obviously failed history class. " George Carlin"

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    moscow
    Posts
    1,888
    Thanked: 941
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Wally View Post
    You must have missed the snow blower and heaters behind the curtains. Since the house is made of brick the walls are most likely thick with insulation between the layers. It also looks like it has 3 bathrooms so possibly has city water. The new homes going up in my area are all getting hot and cold water, they are definitely for year round living.
    I thought it was a rototiller. I don't have experience with snow blowers. Let it be a snowblower then. I do see a danke (child's riding sled) in the corner, by the garage door. But other than that, most of that stuff is warm weather.

    There is one toilet, one full tub/shower and one 1/2 bathroom. (Looks to be missing tub). I don't see three bathrooms, but there are three rooms.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    moscow
    Posts
    1,888
    Thanked: 941
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Wally View Post
    Take a look at photo 21, and you can see how thick the walls are, not a meter but close to it. That house will be warm in the winter and cool in the summer. I love brick home. Our building as one meter thick brick walls, even the inside walls are brick. Everything is nice and straight.
    That's not a meter by any stretch. A meter is 3 feet or almost one yard. That's two standard bricks laying end to end. So about 16". Give or take. But also, other pics show different thickness, so who knows. Anyways, I agree, brick is warm.

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    moscow
    Posts
    1,888
    Thanked: 941
    Another reason I feel this is a summer only place is because it doesn't have a mudroom(anteroom). You most definitely want to get something with a halfway warmed room where you can store stuff and take off your outside clothes before you go inside.

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    657
    Thanked: 391
    I'm not really concerned with the specifics of this house as I'm sure it'll be sold soon. It was just an example of houses we've seen come available on the market. Usually they specify that they are intended for 'year round living'.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Freud For This Useful Post:

    Uncle Wally (08-04-2021)

  11. #25
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    On the Yellow Brick Road, near El Dorado...
    Posts
    4,576
    Thanked: 1588
    Quote Originally Posted by Freud View Post
    I'm not really concerned with the specifics of this house as I'm sure it'll be sold soon. It was just an example of houses we've seen come available on the market. Usually they specify that they are intended for 'year round living'.
    That house looks like a cross between a casino and a bed-n-breakfast. Typical Post-USSR modern garish.

    Keep your eye on the real estate agent, they are shifty characters. Hire an attorney to keep oversight on everything. Hire a private detective to keep an eye on the attorney. Hire an accountant to make sure everyone is crossing their i's and dotting their t's.
    "Defund the Social Sciences." - Fantastika, 2020

  12. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    moscow
    Posts
    1,888
    Thanked: 941
    15 mn rub is a lot of money and even more so for people outside of Moscow.

    The average salary is about 70k in Moscow, so yearly that around 840k, or 11-13k usd, depending on exchange.

    You can see what people are buying here

    https://www.terem-pro.ru/

    If that is your budget, I would consider a custom or new build.

  13. #27
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    moscow
    Posts
    1,888
    Thanked: 941
    Quote Originally Posted by Freud View Post
    I'm not really concerned with the specifics of this house as I'm sure it'll be sold soon. It was just an example of houses we've seen come available on the market. Usually they specify that they are intended for 'year round living'.
    Cool!
    Seems like u know what ur looking for.

    Good luck with the hunt!

  14. #28
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    657
    Thanked: 391
    Quote Originally Posted by americaninmoscow View Post
    Cool!
    Seems like u know what ur looking for.

    Good luck with the hunt!

    Yeah, I just wish I could get more info on how much property taxes are. Sounds like people don't consider them to be very high. But something more exact would be helpful.

  15. #29
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    437
    Thanked: 245
    Quote Originally Posted by Freud View Post
    Yeah, I just wish I could get more info on how much property taxes are. Sounds like people don't consider them to be very high. But something more exact would be helpful.
    If the owner is of 'pension' age, then one property is exempt from property taxes, i.e. you pay nothing. A married couple of pension age who own 2 properties - one registered to the husband and the other registered to the wife - are exempt from taxes on both properties.

  16. #30
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    On the Yellow Brick Road, near El Dorado...
    Posts
    4,576
    Thanked: 1588
    Quote Originally Posted by Freud View Post
    Yeah, I just wish I could get more info on how much property taxes are. Sounds like people don't consider them to be very high. But something more exact would be helpful.
    Hire an English-speaking accountant, then you don't have the hassle of dealing with different entities with different types of taxes, language and jargon difficulties, waiting in line at offices... Well worth it.
    "Defund the Social Sciences." - Fantastika, 2020

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •