littleangels        English Nanny

Thread: Sberbank Debit Card Funny Business

Sberbank Debit Card Funny Business

Both my wife and daughter have had problems with their Sberbank debit cards recently. My daughter got two SMS messages saying someone had requested money be transferred from her account to a web site, one for 20 k and the other for 10 k Rubles. Luckily, my daughter had insufficient funds and cancelled her card. Then, my wife had a phone call from someone saying they were from the bank, also saying an attempt was made to transfer cash out of her account. The caller had her account info, phone number and other info. When he offered insurance against credit card fraud, she hung up. She also got an SMS with a number that would have allowed her to approve the transfer. She too didn't have much cash on the account and is getting a new card. She uses the "Mir" debit card.

We're in touch with Sberbank and are trying to figure out why this is happening. I have a feeling it is caused by the transfer of cash to people's phone numbers on Sberbank, but it's only a hunch. Keeping my cash in Sberbank low and thinking of switching to Raiffeisenbank or Tinkoff...

2. The Following User Says Thank You to xt-tsi For This Useful Post:

rusmeister (26-03-2021)

We're in touch with Sberbank and are trying to figure out why this is happening. I have a feeling it is caused by the transfer of cash to people's phone numbers on Sberbank, but it's only a hunch. Keeping my cash in Sberbank low and thinking of switching to Raiffeisenbank or Tinkoff...[/QUOTE]

Forget Tinkoff. lots of advertising ,not much else. On top of it WHERE is a Tinkoff ATM if you need money urgently? Raiffeisen ahs them on every corner... I began with Raiffeisen still as a kid in primary school and 60 years later i am still with them. But what i like best from Raiffeisen, all of their ATMs are somewhere -inside - a premises, with cameras all over the palce. little to no chance to have monkey business going on.
    There is no greater treasure then pleasure....

Quote Originally Posted by xt-tsi View Post
    Both my wife and daughter have had problems with their Sberbank debit cards recently. My daughter got two SMS messages saying someone had requested money be transferred from her account to a web site, one for 20 k and the other for 10 k Rubles. Luckily, my daughter had insufficient funds and cancelled her card. Then, my wife had a phone call from someone saying they were from the bank, also saying an attempt was made to transfer cash out of her account. The caller had her account info, phone number and other info. When he offered insurance against credit card fraud, she hung up. She also got an SMS with a number that would have allowed her to approve the transfer. She too didn't have much cash on the account and is getting a new card. She uses the "Mir" debit card.

We're in touch with Sberbank and are trying to figure out why this is happening. I have a feeling it is caused by the transfer of cash to people's phone numbers on Sberbank, but it's only a hunch. Keeping my cash in Sberbank low and thinking of switching to Raiffeisenbank or Tinkoff...
    Contact the police, Sberbank can't do much. We're the SMS from Sberbank? What kind of phone do your wife and daughter use? Do your wife and daughter shop at the same place online or off? For my wife's and I Sberbank app we use finger prints authorization and have our photos on the app. I have been using Samsung Pay which uses a finger print and that allows me to spend more than one thousand rubles without a pin number.
    If you trust the government you obviously failed history class. " George Carlin"

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Wally For This Useful Post:

Benedikt (27-03-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Wally View Post
    Contact the police, Sberbank can't do much. We're the SMS from Sberbank? What kind of phone do your wife and daughter use? Do your wife and daughter shop at the same place online or off? For my wife's and I Sberbank app we use finger prints authorization and have our photos on the app. I have been using Samsung Pay which uses a finger print and that allows me to spend more than one thousand rubles without a pin number.
    Good suggestions, Uncle Wally. Thanks. We've slacked off and need to do this.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to xt-tsi For This Useful Post:

Uncle Wally (27-03-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by xt-tsi View Post
    Good suggestions, Uncle Wally. Thanks. We've slacked off and need to do this.
    Your wife and daughter should also uninstall the Sberbank app and then install it again when getting the new cards. It's easier than deleting the old card and registering a new one.

And with Samsung Pay the transaction is a lot faster, you just open the app, put your finger print on and as soon as the cashier hits the card reader boom your done in less than a second.
    If you trust the government you obviously failed history class. " George Carlin"

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Uncle Wally For This Useful Post:

rusmeister (29-03-2021), xt-tsi (29-03-2021)

A little update, Sber Bank is now sending a SMS after I use Samsung Pay asking if I didn't just make a payment to call Sberbank.