littleangels        English Nanny

Thread: poor print quality Brother MFC 9120CN

A very small ice cave in the Arctic circle

poor print quality Brother MFC 9120CN

I have this Brother MFC 9120CN printer.

It started printing faintly, like when its low on ink. Eventually I bought new ink cartridges. All, black, and the three colours. But it's still printing faintly.

I thought maybe the printer was set to print lightly on the printer, or another setting. I am using ubuntu linux. I even tried printing from a windows machine. without luck.

I have had it about 5 years, I wonder if it needs a service of some kind or ????

I wasted a lot of time already. The printer was in russian language, i found a way to change to English but then the printer wasn't recognised on the PC. So had to change it back to Russian.

any suggestions? I don't want to spend a lot...

Quote Originally Posted by rumple_stilskin View Post
    I have this Brother MFC 9120CN printer.

It started printing faintly, like when its low on ink. Eventually I bought new ink cartridges. All, black, and the three colours. But it's still printing faintly.

I thought maybe the printer was set to print lightly on the printer, or another setting. I am using ubuntu linux. I even tried printing from a windows machine. without luck.

I have had it about 5 years, I wonder if it needs a service of some kind or ????

I wasted a lot of time already. The printer was in russian language, i found a way to change to English but then the printer wasn't recognised on the PC. So had to change it back to Russian.

any suggestions? I don't want to spend a lot...
    Look on the internet for a program to reset the counter. There was a Russian guy selling it for $50 a few years ago.
    If you trust the government you obviously failed history class. " George Carlin"

If you trust the government you obviously failed history class. " George Carlin"

Yeah I know it's not the same one but I didn't find yours but you can try.

a very long time ago, it was possible to take your printer out to gorbushka and get it "chipped", which meant you could cut your ink costs by 90%.

if you have a software problem, try going out there and wandering around and asking what can be done. maybe it still works?

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Wally View Post
    Look on the internet for a program to reset the counter. There was a Russian guy selling it for $50 a few years ago.
    The thing is, it still prints but very faded. I only replaced the ink cartridges, not the drum unit.

I need to replace the drum units?

5 years ago the printer costs $500 new. I think the drum unit costs about $140.

But $140 is cheaper than $500

Quote Originally Posted by americaninmoscow View Post
    a very long time ago, it was possible to take your printer out to gorbushka and get it "chipped", which meant you could cut your ink costs by 90%.

if you have a software problem, try going out there and wandering around and asking what can be done. maybe it still works?
    I have always used generic printer cartridges. seems brother does not block them.

I have never had a printer long enough to replace the drum unit.

I guess I have used way more printing than the number designed for the drum units.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to rumple_stilskin For This Useful Post:

americaninmoscow (22-03-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by rumple_stilskin View Post
    I have always used generic printer cartridges. seems brother does not block them.

I have never had a printer long enough to replace the drum unit.

I guess I have used way more printing than the number designed for the drum units.
    If your going to replace the drum.... you are better off buying a new laser printer. Replacing drums are expensive.

maybe THIS suggestion will help. it does with mine. in the -print set up- go to - print quality - on my printer, an -ancient - Epson, i have , amongst 5 or 6, economy, fast, and quality printing. i set onto quality, it prints slower but the lines,letters or numbers come out in all the colors or clear black and white.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    There is no greater treasure then pleasure....

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Wally For This Useful Post:

Benedikt (22-03-2021)