littleangels        English Nanny

Thread: Six Million Dollar Girl

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    On the Yellow Brick Road, near El Dorado...

Six Million Dollar Girl

We have the Six-Million Dollar Girl here at the local high school, Macy. 5'4" tall, but pound-for-pound the strongest girl in the state. She can run faster than anyone else on the basketball court, pop in a 3 from downtown, swishes short jumpers effortlessly, steals the ball from behind your back, is off to the races several times a game. I call her "Mighty Macy" ("Mighty Mouse" ). Last week I saw her dash under a 6'2" girl's waving arms and pop in a layup. I've never seen anything like that, someone dribbling past by ducking UNDER the opposing player.

The girls team has now won 50 games in a row. Last year, they went 24-0 but the Championship games were canceled because of the Chinese flu. They probably would have lost, because there was another team with an incredible player, coached by the father of the girl I am writing a biography about and they had won 130 games in a row and 7 straight state championships. But that girl graduated last year, so she's no longer a threat. Our girls won the semi-final last night and play for the state championship on Saturday.

Called the high school to see about getting tickets, and Marley, another player on the team, answered. She said they are offering only 600 tickets in the 6000 seat arena (because of covid), first-come, first-serve. Plus each player or band member or cheerleader gets 4 tickets for her parents or other relatives to attend. I wished her good luck. Marley scored 18 of the team's 39 points in their victory yesterday. We usually get 70-90 points, 39 is the season low, probably tournament jitters. But the other team only got 22 points - the girls play in-your-face defense the entire game.

They play for all the championship in Dodge City, which is 300 mile-drive away, so I'm probably not going, but we have live streaming video. I went to a different game in the nearby city, but could also watch our girls team on the cell-phone at the same time. We also have black girl on the team, Maya (the M&M&M girls) she does not live in town, but finagled her way onto the team, probably for the world-class coaching.

Our coach is incredible, he was won 960 games, career, maybe 10th all-time in the nation. He can transform a freshman, chubby snowflake into a senior, power forward, I've seen it happen many times. Maya, Macy, Marley, all the rest, they were okay, now they are all seniors and really good, they draw fouls, they pour in 3-pointers like rain, but can also push their way in for layups. The team has no superstars or tall players, no prima donnas, they really work good as a team.

The air is electric in town here...
    "Defund the Social Sciences." - Fantastika, 2020

OMG, the boys basketball team also won their semi-final. Now we have both the girls and the boys teams going for state championships tomorrow. Unbelievable.

There is live streaming, but it costs $10. And there's no audio. So I just turn on the radio to sync the audio and video, but it's a minute ahead of the action on the TV. (I have a Linux computer with a big-screen TV as the monitor).

The tallest on the boys team is 6'1". The other team has 6'5", 6'4" and 6'3".

Girls game is at 14:00 Central Standard Time on Country 101.7, boys at 18:00 :

https://radio.securenetsystems.net/c...allSign=KVOEFM

The game announcer (the guy on the radio yelling and hollering) is my neighbor.

GIRLS WIN!

42-25, Mighty Macy Smith pumps in 16, steals the ball 6 times, has five assists, rebounds and gets Player of the Game honors. Eagles soar!

We are the Champions of the World, well, Champions of Kansas, anyway.

They're gonna have a parade. 500 people in the village, and they will have a parade....

Boys play in a couple of hours...

Last edited by TheInterocitor; 14-03-2021 at 02:23.

BOYS WIN!!!

Surge from behind, late in the second half, pulls out a 54-47 victory over a previously undefeated opponent.

I went to the bar and forgot to bring my wallet, but the beer was free. There was a deputy sheriff there, but he was having a good time, too. I beat everyone but not the bar owner, at billiards.

The bus didn't get back until after midnight. We had cars lined up along the street with their headlights on. Somebody set off some fireworks. That's about as wild as it gets around here...