littleangels        English Nanny
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: We are moving to Moscva

Quote Originally Posted by TheInterocitor View Post
    Why live in any other Russian city for 9000 rubles a month rent, when you can live in Moscow for 190,000 rubles a month?

My Moscow time has been limited to riding the bus around Шереметьево while waiting for the domestic connecting flight. One time I had to stay overnight, the hotel was only $400.

Please excuse my sarcasm.
    Things change.

Rent in Moscow is incredibly cheap now, with a very wide selection. You can pick up a decent place for 35k, that's a one room and nearish to the center and close to the metro. A decent English teacher should be able to make that in a week or less. In usd, thats about 475$.

Other than that, there are apps like airbnb and cheap hotels. But not by the airport.

On the Yellow Brick Road, near El Dorado...
    Quote Originally Posted by americaninmoscow View Post
    Things change.

Rent in Moscow is incredibly cheap now, with a very wide selection. You can pick up a decent place for 35k, that's a one room and nearish to the center and close to the metro. A decent English teacher should be able to make that in a week or less. In usd, thats about 475$.

Other than that, there are apps like airbnb and cheap hotels. But not by the airport.
    When the ruble comes back down to a reasonable level, that's gonna double, but great price compared to any big US city. My tiny house in Reston, Virginia, (25 miles from DC) would rent for $2500.

I would love to move to Russia, but the money-needy loons in DC, and their Russophobia, likely may make a law restricting pensions if you move away from the US.

They sell adaptors in Moscow. Step down, I think they are called.

Mostly for stuff that is 2-4x the price in Moscow. Like my kitchenaid. Can I get them in russia? Are they frickin expensive? Yes they are. Will you get the best model? No you won't, and you still have to pay an arm and a leg. And the attachments are expensive as well.

Also, for instance, I want to buy a lap pool "motor", the name escapes me. But in the us, off Amazon, it's a reasonable $400. Off market.yandex.ru it starts at 1+ grand, last time I looked. The weight was just enough to fit in a bag@ 35ish kilos. The above ground pools are cheap enough in Moscow, though.
    I'm a seller, but I only sell a few items on Amazon. The Chinese are running wild on Amazon, and Ebay, too. The shipping cost is the stopper to Russia. Anything over 4 pounds is like $80 and on up. But that will change, there are several bulk shippers out there and growing business.

I don't buy anything retail. I get all my clothes at Salvation Army (good stuff!) and at auctions, $10 each I paid for a washer and dryer in new condition, $1 for a piano. Is the quality of the second-hand stores in Russia getting any better? I found some antiquarian books in one.
    Last edited by TheInterocitor; 12-02-2021 at 12:49.
    "Defund the Social Sciences." - Fantastika, 2020

Stranger comes in, lights a fire, and leaves.

ah, who cares.

it's a nice topic to discuss, since we all have something positive to contribute. Or we should. strange that some of our more vocal members have no contribution to add, considering......

Quote Originally Posted by TheInterocitor View Post
    Is the quality of the second-hand stores in Russia getting any better? I found some antiquarian books in one.
    Russia is great for a lot of things. But unless you go waaaaaaaay back, quality prob isn't one of them. Unless you are talking military hardware. Then it's prob good forever, and even longer.

There were lots of articles that described how the soviets got it only half right. The apts were ok, but with ikea, now they are near perfect. And the food? Mostly, if you put in time and effort, anything is possible. There are local movements for fresh organic farms, clothes being sewn locally, etc. Or you can just get regular stuff from the stores. But the reason Russians are the perfect capitalists? They spend, a lot. And often. I mean, who doesn't need new winter shoes, spring shoes, summer shoes, etc. And for school? Wow. I had to buy my kid shoes, school shoes, inside school shoes, winter boots, gym shoes, dancing shoes (for school), and more. I don't mind, cuz the price isn't that expensive and a person does need the correct tools to perform a job. So it's all good. But geez man, shoes, shoes, shoes. and boots. and inside "shoes". and and and. And in a crisis, they spend everything they have. Mostly, this is cuz of recent "collective historical memory", but I think, to some extent, its just an excuse to have story and buy large ticket items.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to americaninmoscow For This Useful Post:

TheInterocitor (13-02-2021)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12