littleangels        English Nanny
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: We are moving to Moscva

We are moving to Moscva

Hello my name is John and my wife's name is Oksana. My wife is from Saint Petersburg and we married there in the year 2000 , we are planning on moving to Moscow very soon like this summer. I have visited Moscow once for the embassy interview which was a nightmare to say the least and I have been to Saint Petersburg over a dozen times in the last 20 years so I am familiar with Russia to a degree and my wife is very familiar to since she lived there until she was 24. Her mother still lives in Saint P , her brother lives in Kaliningrad stationed on military base and her father works somewhere in far north near murmansk or something.

We are planning our move to Russia because I am 50 , she is 47 and as we near retirement age we want to establish residency there. It is my personal feelings that the USA is going down the toilet so to speak because now the lunatics are running the asylum.
    It's almost become a joke but let's not get into that.

So basically I am introducing myself and if anyone has any pointers for me in regards to the english speaking schools for my 12 year old daughter who does not speak Russian but we are both going to learn. Also I read that there are some bachelor degree programs at Russian Universities that are taught in english for my daughter when she gets ready for college. We are also looking purchase a flat 2 or 3 bedrooms hopefully and new construction prefered. Any pointers on how that all works . We have reached out to coldwell banker and Sotheby's reality and have seen a few listings but not quite sure of the process. Any pointers there would help

Also any pointers on having to file US taxes and what is the procedure to avoid paying double tax. Any pointers on good areas to live or more so what areas to avoid. We like to be not too far from downtown and don't want to be stuck out far away where it is a hassle to get to town for weekend adventures and to experience all the activities Moscow has to offer.

That's enough for now. I will inquire more as the time comes closer.

Spaciba Bolshoy

2. The Following User Says Thank You to srmmedia For This Useful Post:

nicklcool (09-02-2021)

There are groups on FB. I know of one, “Orthodox Christians Moving to Russia”. Sometimes they have good info.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to rusmeister For This Useful Post:

nicklcool (09-02-2021)

On the Yellow Brick Road, near El Dorado...
    Quote Originally Posted by srmmedia View Post
    So basically I am introducing myself and if anyone has any pointers for me in regards to the english speaking schools for my 12 year old daughter who does not speak Russian but we are both going to learn. ...
    The kid is 12? Go for total immersion. She will learn fast.
    "Defund the Social Sciences." - Fantastika, 2020

That's enough for now. I will inquire more as the time comes closer.

suppose you do first things first. and that is looking for a place to stay. and then you also can look for a school for your daughter. there are excellent schools in each of Moscow districts. makes no sense to recommend somethign now. if you don't know where you will stay. and then maybe your daughter has to schlepp around to get to the school. what do you think you will be doing once you're here? long walks in a quiet park? thinking of having a dog?since things will not happen -tomorrow- read up here o nexpat. check www.themoscowtimes.com. -our- english langauge information paper. i rather NOT say newspaper... but they are good for something. https://szaopressa.ru/ you also can check here. you should have a browser that does translation automatically, since this is a russian language site. it is also what you call a -knock and drop - newspaper. comes for free 1x a week or so into our mailbox. each district has his own news. but most of all, read up there on Expat and ask questions well in advance. as you have indeed noticed already, things move at a different level. i nthe meantime, good luck, keep safe and dont catch the bug.
    There is no greater treasure then pleasure....

One of the largest, most popular (if not best) real estate sites is https://www.cian.ru/snyat/?utm_sourc...QaAtxNEALw_wcB
    If you're going to be dumb, you better be tough...

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bydand For This Useful Post:

americaninmoscow (11-02-2021), nicklcool (10-02-2021), TheInterocitor (11-02-2021)

Why live in any other Russian city for 9000 rubles a month rent, when you can live in Moscow for 190,000 rubles a month?

My Moscow time has been limited to riding the bus around Шереметьево while waiting for the domestic connecting flight. One time I had to stay overnight, the hotel was only $400.

Please excuse my sarcasm.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheInterocitor For This Useful Post:

bydand (11-02-2021), nicklcool (11-02-2021)

My suggestion is to find a place within walking distance of the brown line. This will allow you to be anywhere in the center within 20 min by metro/bus/tram and also by taxi/Uber.

You dont want to actually live in the center, though, since most day stuff is outside the garden ring, like malls and larger food stores.

Also, living on the brown line means that you will, in general, have access to the entire city by metro inside of 1 hour. Otherwise, if you get too far out, you get locked into whatever you have in your district.

But mostly these days, all of Moscow is the same. The same shops, little or bigger parks, cafes, etc. There really isn't much of a difference.

But the big key is being near a metro station. You have to be near the metro.

Don't sorry about buying a car. You can rent cars all over the city by the minute. There are 3 companies that do this. You just need a smartphone.
    Last edited by americaninmoscow; 11-02-2021 at 08:20.

Also, I would prob not bring stuff from America like furniture, unless it's crazy expensive and you are rich. Electrical stuff will need an adaptor. I would buy a new computer and ps5 in america though, it will be much cheaper.

I would also look to rent for at least a year before buying. That way, you can figure out what u really want before setting anchor. This is important for things like schools and work and parks and general daily life stuff.

For education, I would just get private tutors for a year and homeschool. It's incredibly cheap and very doable for experts in any field. Most will prob speak at least some english and it will take at least some stress off u n the kid while u get used to new everything. And it does take time. Lots and lots of time.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to americaninmoscow For This Useful Post:

nicklcool (11-02-2021)

I wonder if this new member, who had a different user name when this was posted, I thought, is actually reading this.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to rusmeister For This Useful Post:

nicklcool (11-02-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by americaninmoscow View Post
    Also, I would prob not bring stuff from America like furniture, unless it's crazy expensive and you are rich. Electrical stuff will need an adaptor.
    What did you need adapter for, AIM? I was lugging 10 pound adapter (using up 25% of alloted suitcase weight and having to constantly recharge the brick) until I discovered most electronics work on 110 or 220. Most big manufacturers, I think, find it much easier to engineer their products internally, to be adaptable to 110 or 220, rather than make two versions of the same product. Don't be fooled just because of the plug shape, it likely is runnable on 110 or 220. That said, sometimes there's this little 110-220 switch that needs to be flipped.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to TheInterocitor For This Useful Post:

americaninmoscow (12-02-2021)

Moscow Orange Line, oh Yeah, I'm movin' on up!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheInterocitor View Post
    Why live in any other Russian city for 9000 rubles a month rent, when you can live in Moscow for 190,000 rubles a month?

My Moscow time has been limited to riding the bus around Шереметьево while waiting for the domestic connecting flight. One time I had to stay overnight, the hotel was only $400.

Please excuse my sarcasm.
    You are absolutely right, Fantastika!

And might I add:
    1. Most of the "benefits" of city-living will either no longer exist in the post-Covid world, or will have unreasonable restrictions (your 12-year-old daughter should not suffer the psychological trauma of having to muzzle up everywhere).

2. Many of the "educational" benefits of living in Russia, like cheaper yet higher quality tutors, extra classes, etc. are watered-down in Moscow - everything is mucher cheaper in the region$! )
    I am fascinated by Russia, this country with frigid weather, hard souls, and hot girls!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to nicklcool For This Useful Post:

TheInterocitor (11-02-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by americaninmoscow View Post
    My suggestion is to find a place within walking distance of the brown line. This will allow you to be anywhere in the center within 20 min by metro/bus/tram and also by taxi/Uber.

You dont want to actually live in the center, though, since most day stuff is outside the garden ring, like malls and larger food stores.

Also, living on the brown line means that you will, in general, have access to the entire city by metro inside of 1 hour. Otherwise, if you get too far out, you get locked into whatever you have in your district.

But mostly these days, all of Moscow is the same. The same shops, little or bigger parks, cafes, etc. There really isn't much of a difference.

But the big key is being near a metro station. You have to be near the metro.

Don't sorry about buying a car. You can rent cars all over the city by the minute. There are 3 companies that do this. You just need a smartphone.
    Brown line? That is the center and all you do is go in circles. The Red line is the best to live on and in the Southwest of Moscow. The red line goes through all the most important stops and connections to all other lines. The Southwest while being the most expensive place outside of the center also has the best schools and parks and safe neighborhoods.
    If you trust the government you obviously failed history class. " George Carlin"

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Wally View Post
    Brown line? That is the center and all you do is go in circles. The Red line is the best to live on and in the Southwest of Moscow. The red line goes through all the most important stops and connections to all other lines. The Southwest while being the most expensive place outside of the center also has the best schools and parks and safe neighborhoods.
    That's just what u think cuz u used to live there. It's actually very far from many things.

Quote Originally Posted by TheInterocitor View Post
    What did you need adapter for, AIM? I was lugging 10 pound adapter (using up 25% of alloted suitcase weight and having to constantly recharge the brick) until I discovered most electronics work on 110 or 220. Most big manufacturers, I think, find it much easier to engineer their products internally, to be adaptable to 110 or 220, rather than make two versions of the same product. Don't be fooled just because of the plug shape, it likely is runnable on 110 or 220. That said, sometimes there's this little 110-220 switch that needs to be flipped.
    Mostly for stuff that is 2-4x the price in Moscow. Like my kitchenaid. Can I get them in russia? Are they frickin expensive? Yes they are. Will you get the best model? No you won't, and you still have to pay an arm and a leg. And the attachments are expensive as well.

They sell adaptors in Moscow. Step down, I think they are called.

Also, for instance, I want to buy a lap pool "motor", the name escapes me. But in the us, off Amazon, it's a reasonable $400. Off market.yandex.ru it starts at 1+ grand, last time I looked. The weight was just enough to fit in a bag@ 35ish kilos. The above ground pools are cheap enough in Moscow, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Wally View Post
    Most places cost the same now. Except rubelovskya n the other luxory villages.

Cian is full of scams. For instance, when I rented my place out, someone took the pics, changed the description, added stuff, then put a lower price. When I contacted them, they said I would have to pay them to take it down, etc.

This one is much better https://thelocals.ru/rooms?map=true

24. The Following User Says Thank You to americaninmoscow For This Useful Post:

TheInterocitor (12-02-2021)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast