littleangels        English Nanny

Thread: Dumb Questions for Ben - Germany-Austria History

Dumb Questions for Ben - Germany-Austria History

Benedict,

Probably some dumb questions but my mind is filled with other topics.

What is the difference or similarities between Germans and Austrians? Historically, linguistically, etc.

I am not looking for anything in depth, as I too have google, just a general quick answer.

I am doing some historical research into German colonies in Russia and it seems as if there are German colonizers and Austrian (German) colonizers and more. In fact, it seems to get hazy but also very clear to the people at the time.

Are Germans and Austrians related in any way? If yes, why the split? If no, why the seemingly shared language, etc.

This attached doc is a very very simple example of more complicated material that is doing my head in.Screenshot 2021-12-05 at 14.13.12.png

I get the Polish uprising against the Russians in 1913. But how do the German police become involved and why would they care? etc.

This isn't an exact science but would you say this includes Austrians? or just Germans?

german language.png

https://speakstarter.com/en/articles...an-and-german/
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austrians

there is of course a difference. ( explained in the links, though lots to read). while both countries are -German speakers -, so si also part of Switzerland, there is a cultural difference from the North of Germany to the South of Austria. Religion does not worry me to much. Austria is mainly catholic. Germany has a more protestant faith,except maybe bavaria, which is strongly catholic. Though the biggest difference in my opinion is the language as such,meaning the DIALECTS spoken. From very hard in Northern Germany, berlin for instance. To more drawn out in the South in bavaria. And even more so in the South of Austria,in Carinthia, where i come from. In northern Germany it is -we do it TODAY and even better,NOW - . While down south it is, - well tomorrow is another day. and the sun will also shine tomorrow again-...
    There is no greater treasure then pleasure....

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Benedikt For This Useful Post:

americaninmoscow (Yesterday)

I think that if one doesn’t see the historic divide between Prussia and Bavaria, one doesn’t begin to grasp what constitutes Germany. And the bad pretty much all came from Prussia, from its Protestant atheism, the union symbolized by Frederick and Voltaire, and resultant Nietzschean thinking (which produced Nazism), to the public schools, which produced people who would follow and obey the Nazis, just as today they will produce people who follow any ideology their true leaders wish to promote.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to rusmeister For This Useful Post:

americaninmoscow (Today)

I read a quote by the actor Christopher Waltz about the difference between Germans and Austrians which “is like the difference between a battleship and a waltz.”

Waltz also said: “Austrians tend to make their lives easier. First of all, they are very polite. Second, they don’t mean it.”

In the time I spent in Austria, I noticed a fair number of Austrians complaining about the Germans. Didn't notice the opposite, never heard any Germans complaining about the Austrians.

Quote Originally Posted by xt-tsi View Post
    I read a quote by the actor Christopher Waltz about the difference between Germans and Austrians which “is like the difference between a battleship and a waltz.”

Waltz also said: “Austrians tend to make their lives easier. First of all, they are very polite. Second, they don’t mean it.”

In the time I spent in Austria, I noticed a fair number of Austrians complaining about the Germans. Didn't notice the opposite, never heard any Germans complaining about the Austrians.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffJD_PffYiAdont know how good is your German. the film was a HIT during the 90s. and nothing much has changed to this day.
    There is no greater treasure then pleasure....