littleangels        English Nanny

Thread: Russian Bank Account

On the Yellow Brick Road, near El Dorado...

Russian Bank Account

I am trying to send some Christmas Cash to my old friend in Russia, using Transferwise.com. I think TransferWise is British company. Anyway their Help Department says:

"If you send to a Russian bank account, all Russian account number has one similarity. From the 6th to the 8th digit, it is always has to be 810."

My friends bank account (счет получателя) is xxxxx840xxxxxxxxxxxx.

Comments?
    "Defund the Social Sciences." - Fantastika, 2020

Quote Originally Posted by TheInterocitor View Post
    I am trying to send some Christmas Cash to my old friend in Russia, using Transferwise.com. I think TransferWise is British company. Anyway their Help Department says:

"If you send to a Russian bank account, all Russian account number has one similarity. From the 6th to the 8th digit, it is always has to be 810."

Comments?
    That's your friend's US dollar account with a Russian bank. Don't know if transferwise will work with it.

And their help department is wrong.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Armoured For This Useful Post:

TheInterocitor (19-02-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Armoured View Post
    That's your friend's US dollar account with a Russian bank. Don't know if transferwise will work with it.

And their help department is wrong.
    I kind of suspected that it wasn't a ruble account...do most Russians have ruble bank accounts, or euro and dollar accounts, I wonder...

...now the glitch in the transferwis.com website is you can't send US dollars to a USD account. To any other currency account, except USD.

I think I will call it "transferstupid.com"

5. The Following User Says Thank You to TheInterocitor For This Useful Post:

Benedikt (07-12-2020)

So the deal is, transferstupid.com does not transfer US dollars, from a US sender, to a US dollar-denominated Russian bank account. It has to be a Ruble-denominated Russian bank account.

"You won't be able to send USD to Russia only RUB."

No rationale for this from their help support. I can send dollars to China, Vietnam, Ukraine, Uganda, and the moons of Saturn, but not Russia. But I can send Rubles to Russia.

?Does this make sense to anybody?

Does this make sense to anybody?
    Sure. For what one could need those Dirty Green Papers here?
    All the world's Kremlin,
    And all the men and women merely agents

Comments?
    do your friends live near a Raiffeisen Bank? open a $$ account in Russia with 1 $. it is legal.for ANYONE and YOU open an $ account with a Raiffeisen near you. should be because they are all over the world. Or have a look, there are 3 or 4 International -affiliated - banks where you also can paу in or withdraw. though there is a commission to pay.
    There is no greater treasure then pleasure....

Quote Originally Posted by Benedikt View Post
    do your friends live near a Raiffeisen Bank? open a $$ account in Russia with 1 $. it is legal.for ANYONE and YOU open an $ account with a Raiffeisen near you. should be because they are all over the world. Or have a look, there are 3 or 4 International -affiliated - banks where you also can paу in or withdraw. though there is a commission to pay.
    They live south of Krasnofimsk, nearest Raiffeisen is 200-300 K

They already have $$ account. That's the problem.

I also tried Paysend.com. Both transferwise.com and paysend.com, you are not allowed to send US dollars to a US-dollar-denominated Russian account. They can transfer dollars from US to ruble-denominated Russian account. Maybe it is because of US sanctions or some quirky banking law? Both currencies float, so how is it I can send $$ to Zimbabwe, but not to Russia $$ account?

I am going to try to send through Paypal. I get orders sometimes from Russia on my Ebay account, and they have no problem to pay me, so there must exist method for Russian Paypal customer to transfer money from/to his bank account through Paypal.

Very useful advice, because there are still a lot of problems with electronic payment systems in Russia. Previously, Yandex.Money and WebMoney worked well, but now there are so many difficulties with them, not all cards can be withdrawn money, not all cards can be replenished. I heard that this method is used to fight with incomes that are hidden from the state. But let's be honest, if there were enough jobs in the country. there would be no such problem.

They live south of Krasnofimsk, nearest Raiffeisen is 200-300 K

They already have $$ account. That's the problem.

I also tried Paysend.com. Both transferwise.com and paysend.com, you are not allowed to send US dollars to a US-dollar-denominated Russian account. They can transfer dollars from US to ruble-denominated Russian account. Maybe it is because of US sanctions or some quirky banking law? Both currencies float, so how is it I can send $$ to Zimbabwe, but not to Russia $$ account?

I am going to try to send through Paypal. I get orders sometimes from Russia on my Ebay account, and they have no problem to pay me, so there must exist method for Russian Paypal customer to transfer money from/to his bank account through Paypal.
    then there is only one solution. send EURO....

if you send via western union, you can choose bank to bank or pickup in person. bank to bank takes 2 days, is free, and the exchange rate is almost perfect. but you can only receive rub. so you send dollars and they get rub. but, if you choose pickup in person, you can send dollars and they can pick up dollars, but i think it costs and im not sure about the exchange rate. also, use the website version, not the app. the app gives a horrible rate, almost 2-3 rub difference sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by americaninmoscow View Post
    if you send via western union, you can choose bank to bank or pickup in person. bank to bank takes 2 days, is free, and the exchange rate is almost perfect. but you can only receive rub. so you send dollars and they get rub. but, if you choose pickup in person, you can send dollars and they can pick up dollars, but i think it costs and im not sure about the exchange rate. also, use the website version, not the app. the app gives a horrible rate, almost 2-3 rub difference sometimes.
    That WU option looks interesting...Finally got the Paypal to work, but takes "5-7 days" to transfer from Paypal to Bank.

Last time I used Western Onion was to send $1 to a "Penpal" who was "Anxiously waiting at the airport, for the money to buy a ticket, so she could be with me, her true love." I just couldn't resist!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to TheInterocitor For This Useful Post:

americaninmoscow (19-02-2021)

Paypal works, but they exchanged 69:1 for the dollars I sent (today's rate is 74).

16. The Following User Says Thank You to TheInterocitor For This Useful Post:

Benedikt (17-12-2020)

With Unicredit you can have a rouble, dollar, euro, and British pound account. I have received dollars and pounds to my accounts. Useful if you wish to avoid surcharges.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to johnsimpson For This Useful Post:

TheInterocitor (19-02-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by johnsimpson View Post
    With Unicredit you can have a rouble, dollar, euro, and British pound account. I have received dollars and pounds to my accounts. Useful if you wish to avoid surcharges.
    you do your -banking - via Internet and can withdraw at any of their ATMs https://www.unicreditbank.ru/ru/branch-finder.html. and while i would not like to put my hand into a fire for my answer, i think one can also withdraw without commission, at any of the RAIFFEISEN ATMs?