littleangels        English Nanny

Thread: The future of computers

The future of computers

If you trust the government you obviously failed history class. " George Carlin"

On the Yellow Brick Road, near El Dorado...
    Who is making the glass for this, I wonder. Corning was making "Gorilla Glass" for many smart phones...
    "Defund the Social Sciences." - Fantastika, 2020

Quote Originally Posted by TheInterocitor View Post
    Who is making the glass for this, I wonder. Corning was making "Gorilla Glass" for many smart phones...
    when i saw that he is -drinking- from an empty mug i had enough...dont think the screens for that is real glass. just some -thick plastic-.

i use this word for lack of a better one. -PLEXIGLAS - in German.Invented in 1928 ...https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%9E...BA%D0%BB%D0%BE
    https://www.theverge.com/circuitbrea...-ces-2020.what the screen is made off fir sure they dont tell. then i went to WIKI about this -newsbraking - OLED screen.this is old hat already was -invented in 1984 by the ,you guessed it right, Chinese.And KODAK used it already back then. On that article there is lots to read up.
    BUT for 2400$ for that thing i for sure would give it a miss.
    And i am prepared to bet a month wages, real leather it is for sure not. rather a LATEX covered and worked on -cloth - material. ( you have this on the cheap 1000 Ruble -Belarus made - shoes that they are flogging here in Moscow all over the place. looks like leather.feels like leather. but scratch it a little bit and you can see what it is. also all that -real - GUCCI and LOUIS VUITTON handbags and shoes are made from that material...)
    so much for all this what they are flogging as latest invention...
    There is no greater treasure then pleasure....

I'm not at all sure that this is glass in the direct sense of the word. It's too flexible for glass. But at the same time, there must be protection. Could this be some kind of hydrogel coating technology? I haven't figured it out from the reviews yet.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SunnyLeslie For This Useful Post:

Uncle Wally (27-11-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by SunnyLeslie View Post
    I'm not at all sure that this is glass in the direct sense of the word. It's too flexible for glass. But at the same time, there must be protection. Could this be some kind of hydrogel coating technology? I haven't figured it out from the reviews yet.
    i seem to remember because it was such a curiosity. those -newspapers -, a sort of -thick - plastic, for my lack of a better word, filled with ф thin sort of -gel- i think one had to load down the content of the daily news. then you just had to run your hand over it. and the news appeared. it was said this was the end of the -print- newspaper. because you didn't have to buy every day a new one.and one could -fold up- that thing and put it into your handbag or case. since we still get our FREE newspapers every day in our mailbox books like that gimmick did not work out? or maybe they are using something like this_ much thicker of course. making sheets of it. and obvious nor Beemer car.https://www.instructables.com/Image-...ic-Gel-Medium/
    There is no greater treasure then pleasure....

On the Yellow Brick Road, near El Dorado...
    Quote Originally Posted by SunnyLeslie View Post
    Corning has been working on "flexible" or "foldable" glass for a few years. The trick is to make it very thin:

Corning-bendable-glass-could-come-to-your-foldable-phone

Samsung-foldable-glass-galaxy-z-flip-explained-Schott-Corning

Interesting to me, I am from that area in upstate New York where Corning is located. My father was director of small factory that made the glass for the "windows" on the Space Shuttle.

Corning is also maker of "Corelle" china (dishes). Corelle is actually composed of two layers of glass sandwiching a layer of bone china. Corelle lasts forever. If you are ever in that area, visit the Corning Museum of Gla*s*s with interactive exhibits showing history of glass from B.C era to today. You can get a free glass elephant made while you watch, or see them take the molten glass out of ovens and shape it, and a worker craft a piece of Steuben Gl**** they sell for $1000's. When you walk in (besides the busloads of Japanese tourists carting off boxes of Corelle) is a 200" glass mirror made for what was the world's largest telescope (Mount Palomar, California). The big glass lens in orning is the first one they made, but it fell off the truck and cracked, on its way to California, so they had to cast another one.

If you have a smart phone, chances are the glass is Corning's "Gorilla Glass".

Corning made the mistake of locating a factory in China, where i'm sure their technology is being "borrowed."

Also, glass is not a solid, it is a liquid!
    Last edited by TheInterocitor; 28-11-2020 at 13:12.
    "Defund the Social Sciences." - Fantastika, 2020

8. The Following User Says Thank You to TheInterocitor For This Useful Post:

Benedikt (30-11-2020)