littleangels        English Nanny

Thread: 你会说国语吗 (Ni hui shuo zhongguo hua bu hui? )

On the Yellow Brick Road, near El Dorado...

你会说国语吗 (Ni hui shuo zhongguo hua bu hui? )

Can anyone tell me anything about this? I took it to the Chinese restaurant but the kid doesn't want to admit he can't read traditional characters. I think he said it was a good luck piece. I'm wondering if it is vintage. But it is probably modern, made to look like antique, there are so many Made in China "antiques" here. You have to be very careful and don't go $50 for a $5 knock-off...

Thanks for Help!
    "Defund the Social Sciences." - Fantastika, 2020

Thread :sprechen Sie Mandarin (Ni hui shuo zhongguo hua bu hui? ) translate into english - do you speak mandarin?

Thanks for Help![/QUOTE]

those two flat long -things- are they metal or carton? like a bookmark when reading a book or the likes?
    There is no greater treasure then pleasure....

Quote Originally Posted by Benedikt View Post
    Thread :sprechen Sie Mandarin (Ni hui shuo zhongguo hua bu hui? ) translate into english - do you speak mandarin?

Thanks for Help!
    those two flat long -things- are they metal or carton? like a bookmark when reading a book or the likes?
    They are solid brass. Heavy. Together, half a kilo.

I think they translated the whole sentence - "zhong-guo" means "Middle Kingdom" or "country in the center (of the world)". The Chinese name for America is "Mei-Guo" or "Beautiful Country". They call Germany "DeGuo" or 'brave country" (or "moral" or "virtuous" country). I don't have my Chinese dictionary handy, I trust the old dictionary, because the communists changed the entire character system in the 1950's.

The characters on these two brass sticks are old-style, but it's probably a replica piece, not an original.

Quote Originally Posted by TheInterocitor View Post
    They are solid brass. Heavy. Together, half a kilo.

I think they translated the whole sentence - "zhong-guo" means "Middle Kingdom" or "country in the center (of the world)". The Chinese name for America is "Mei-Guo" or "Beautiful Country". They call Germany "DeGuo" or 'brave country" (or "moral" or "virtuous" country). I don't have my Chinese dictionary handy, I trust the old dictionary, because the communists changed the entire character system in the 1950's.
    Whoops, sorry, Bennie, you are right, it does translate as you said "mandarin". I did not even look at the characters.

I am used to asking someone if they speak Chinese, and my grammar is not good.

Ni Hui Shuo Zhong-Guo Hua Ma? = You can speak China words, yes? 你 會 說 中國 話 嗎?
    but Chinese language does not care about grammar, you just have to be approximate.

[QUOTE=TheInterocitor;1495938]Whoops, sorry, Bennie, you are right, it does translate as you said "mandarin". I did not even look at the characters.

if those tow -bars - are of solid brass they for sure then can not be -bookmarks-. maybe it would be better to go to a - Museum of Chinese or Oriental Art-? We have one in Moscow. Can you make some GOOD photos of those things. i can try to contact them and find out more ( no personal visit there.the place is closed until 15th of January 2021 but there is the Internet.) https://www.orientmuseum.ru/?lang=en. here is a link to their site. it is all in Russian language.we are after all in Russia. but google chrome translate will help.
    There is no greater treasure then pleasure....