littleangels        English Nanny

Thread: want to try to make some Russian pickled cabbage?

want to try to make some Russian pickled cabbage?

https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2020/...cabbage-a71489

my Grandmother in Austria, and suppose all the others in the village as well, used to make pickled cabbage ( Sauerkraut) a little bit different. First of all, this was the time of the year the kids got new rubber boots. because we were to climb into the, top open, big vat that was used to make the cabbage. a layer shredded cabbage, a few JUNIPER BERRIES, black peppercorns and a bay leave. and i was to stomp that cabbage with my new rubber boots. next layer,same thing. and so forth until we had about 200 or 300 liters...in-between always also a hand full of sugar. then the big wooden lid on top. a few big stones to weigh down the whole lot. after a week when the - foam- began to come out, carefully to be removed with a flat ladle. no need for testing or tasting or checking. Granny knew when the time was here and the kraut was ready... That was the day when we killed the pigs. and in the evening for all we had the fresh Sauerkraut, warm of course, and the first fresh sausages for all the people who helped with cutting up the pigs, making sausages and whatever work had to be done. simple food, but special for the kids, a feast!
    There is no greater treasure then pleasure....

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Benedikt For This Useful Post:

FatAndy (20-09-2020)

All the world's Kremlin,
    And all the men and women merely agents

Quote Originally Posted by FatAndy View Post
    great to see you back!
    There is no greater treasure then pleasure....