littleangels        English Nanny

Thread: Comet Neowise

On the Yellow Brick Road, near El Dorado...

Comet Neowise

Should be visible before dawn, looking northeast:

https://theskylive.com/where-is-c2020f3

But I don't know how much you could see in Moskva if sun comes up at 3 AM, this time of year.

Binoculars help.
    Have we reached the ultimate stage of absurdity where some people are held responsible for things that happened before they were born, while other people are not held responsible for what they themselves are doing today?

Darn, total rain everywhere this morning, can not see anything in the sky.

This one shows where it is: https://theskylive.com/planetarium?obj=c2020f3

If you get clear skies, you can see it for next 2-3 days before dawn, then, next week it will be (hopefully) visible in the evening, right after sunset.
    Have we reached the ultimate stage of absurdity where some people are held responsible for things that happened before they were born, while other people are not held responsible for what they themselves are doing today?

Will be able to see later this week after sunset, in the northeast sky...

https://wwmt.com/news/local/newly-id...-the-night-sky

Quote Originally Posted by TheInterocitor View Post
    Should be visible before dawn, looking northeast:

https://theskylive.com/where-is-c2020f3

But I don't know how much you could see in Moskva if sun comes up at 3 AM, this time of year.

Binoculars help.
    not much of a sun at 3 in the morning. mostly cloudy.... how do i know? i walk the dog at 4... wake up early, make some coffee, check the mail and at 4 we go for a 15 km walk... only other dog walkers on the roads. it is nice and cool. best part of the day!
    There is no greater treasure then pleasure....

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Benedikt For This Useful Post:

Hans.KK (13-07-2020)

Is it still dark at four? I recall it was not pitch black at three or four, but kind of dusky...Too many city lights in Moscow to see the sky clearly. I am going to take my telescope out to a country road and see what I can see. There's a streetlight by my house and my neighbor also has a bright light on his garage.

Quote Originally Posted by TheInterocitor View Post
    Is it still dark at four? I recall it was not pitch black at three or four, but kind of dusky...Too many city lights in Moscow to see the sky clearly. I am going to take my telescope out to a country road and see what I can see. There's a streetlight by my house and my neighbor also has a bright light on his garage.
    it depends.it was raining yesterday late evening- early night and the sky is still totally overcast.it is 4.30 but outside i could read a newspaper without light... if the weather was nice, that time the sun would be already up for an hour or so... Jhinn the dog is ready already and off for our walk...
    There is no greater treasure then pleasure....

Sunset at 8:48 PM. I drove out, away from the village lights, to the dark country roads. Looked for the comet to the NorthNorthWest, but no see. Had some good German binoculars, they show Jupiter, it is very bright, brightest star in the sky, in constellation Sagittarius (yellow color). The telescope is too big to put in the car, have to dismantle it....

It is still not completely dark until 10:00 PM or later, and the city is 12 miles to the north. The city glow makes the low horizon lighter. Comet Neowise is supposed to appear in Northeast, above horizon, about 5 AM.

Don't want to miss this, it won't return for 7000 years . Wonder what the earth will be like then?

They say it will be visible in evening sky, after sunset, until July 19 or so.

Can enter your location here, on this excellent British website, to see what's in the sky (just move the pin from Greenwich to wherever you are...)

https://theskylive.com/locationpicke...2Fc2020f3-info

No good this morning (4:45 AM), sky is totally overcast. The moon is a bright smudge behind the cloud cover.

Better location tool for the comet (after you enter your location): https://theskylive.com/planetarium?obj=c2020f3

Funny weather here. I was at the auction on Saturday, about 37 degrees Celsius, very hot and dry, the kind of day where you drink a gallon of water or iced tea...but clouds were darkening to the North. They abruptly cancel the auction. In 5-6 years, I have seen canceled auction.

It's a small thunderstorm cell, so I drive south and east to outrun it. But it keeps following me. There is heavy lightning and booming thunder, almost continuous. The lightning bolts come down about 500 meters to my right, left and behind. Then one comes down in front, I count 1001,...thunder shakes the car. It's already ahead of my car, the storm cell is racing along faster than my car is going. I pull over and stop, sheets of rain, downpour, but after a few minutes hail starts hitting the car. It's about marble size, bouncing off the front hood of the car, little round ice cubes, sounds like pebbles hitting the car. Every half-minute a big one blams! into the top of the car. Then the wind starts shifting - was blowing from north, now it shifts to from South, or from East. The trees are twisting this way, then thst way... This circular motion happens before tornado. Good grief! I am looking for better shelter, was advised to go to ditch if you hear loud roar and see approaching tornado. But it soon abates. I leave the dirt road where I am sheltering, get to small city where I ask in supermarket if they saw the hail. Oh, no, they say, just a little rain here. Only a couple of pockmarks in my car from the hail.

My friend decided to drive straight home through the thunderstorm, but he ran into big hail and his van was damaged, including broken window. He said hail was "baseball-size" I think that is exaggeration, maybe golf-ball size...

Success!

Finally saw the comet.

The city 12 miles north of the village is about 25,000 people, but casts a bright shine on the horizon. I drove north of the city and parked on a farm road with no trees. Topeka is about 135,000 souls and 40 miles due north, but not too much glow, although noticeable.

Look for the "Big Dipper," in the North-NorthWest sky, about 10:45, the "Big Bear" it is hanging down sideways, the handle of the pot is "up". Then follow "down" under the Big Dipper, about the length of the handle, "under" the last star of the "pot". The comet is there, barely visible. It was hard to discern, but with my pair of Manon 10x50 binoculars, it was excellent. The comet has a wide tail. It was about "two fists" above the horizon, under the Big Dipper. Put you fist out at arm's length, with the bottom of your hand on the horizon, and the top of your fist is where it is at (two fist-lengths).

So you can see it with the naked eye, but the binoculars bring it up close and it's a very good view.

Tomorrow going to see if my neighbor can turn off the street light, then we can see it with my telescope.

Might be able to see it up to midnight, if the sky is dark