littleangels        English Nanny

Thread: Schoenchen

On the Yellow Brick Road, near El Dorado...

Schoenchen

I am going to an auction, finally, tomorrow, it is near Schoenchen, Kansas.

I was wondering about the town name, "Schoenchen." I would translate it as "pretty little thing." The auctioneer says it means "pretty valley".
    Have we reached the ultimate stage of absurdity where some people are held responsible for things that happened before they were born, while other people are not held responsible for what they themselves are doing today?

My 5 cent would be "Beautiful", the word is clearly German, and what a story: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schoenchen,_Kansas

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Hans.KK For This Useful Post:

TheInterocitor (30-05-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Hans.KK View Post
    My 5 cent would be "Beautiful", the word is clearly German, and what a story: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schoenchen,_Kansas
    Interesting. More Volga Germans, Mennonites. I see traces of them all over Kansas, and in Missouri, too. I have collected many old Mennonite books and bibles from the 1800's, mostly they are written in old-style German. They are a hard-working, thrifty and honest lot. In Kansas, they drive SUV's and use cell-phones, but in Missouri there are settlements where they do not use anything with electricity. There was settlement near my town in upstate New York, they closed it off "No Trespassing" signs, and in Pennsylvania, around Lancaster and York, 200,000 or so. My wife tried to get photographs, but they kept telling her, "No picture, no picture!"

They speak a "low German" (Plattdeutsch) they say "ik"instead of "ish" for the the German "Ich".

I just read a long article about them. They originally migrated to Russia, from Germany/Holland, when Katherine the Great offered them a good deal on homesteading farmland, but when the new czar came in, he raised their taxes and made land property regulations, so they set out for America. They brought a lot of farming know-how, crops and cattle, to Kansas.
    Have we reached the ultimate stage of absurdity where some people are held responsible for things that happened before they were born, while other people are not held responsible for what they themselves are doing today?

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheInterocitor For This Useful Post:

Benedikt (30-05-2020), Hans.KK (30-05-2020)

-Schönchen-, i use the German writing with the -Umlaut- is the diminutive of -schön-.Like -Liebchen - form -lieb-.But one also must not forget,language or some words 100 or 200 years ago were -common- and useded very day. And i ndodays usage they are either outright banned or considered -vulgar-. Think of Neger,Eskimo or Zigeuner... Therefor that -Schönchen- meaning something BEAUTIFUL could mean either a valley, a town, like in this case, the town. Like -lieb- is pertaining to kids, a girl, a young female. A -Liebchen - was also a pretty young girl.... and even more, most of the time it was -mein (my) Liebchen -. Present day names used might be Schatzi, sweetie or the likes.
    And as posted above by TheInterocitor, it is an old Mennonite word, ( Saratov on the Volga had many Germans, my in laws come from there, very old people still remember the old language their fore bearers spoke. and it was banned more or less by Stalin......)
    There is no greater treasure then pleasure....

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Benedikt For This Useful Post:

Hans.KK (30-05-2020), TheInterocitor (01-06-2020)

I have to tell someone this...although the story has an unhappy ending...

At the auction in Schönchen, everything was going for high price. There were a lot of people there. People have been inside houses, and finally, they get to go out. The first outside auction in 3-4 months.

The 1974 Hesston belt-buckle (Hesston, Kansas rodeo) it is collectible - they go for $300-$400 on ebay, but this one went for $745. There were 9 pocket watches, there was one that looked like real gold, but it was locked in a case and I could not examine it. They unlocked the glass case and the first watch, someone picked that one, for $90, so I don't know if it was solid gold ($1000+), or gold plate ($50). The other pocket watches sold for double their ebay price.

There was another box, containing a collection of belt buckles, they usually go for $2 - $5, trinkets, custom jewelry, a small stack of baseball cards (1987), nothing worth more than $5. I looked at three coins, one was a wooden nickel, another a medal, the third, it was gold-colored, it said ".9999 ounce gold," and "U.S. Mint". A $50 gold piece. I thought it was fake, a trinket. Obviously, if it was real gold, it would be worth far more than $50. So it was probably some sort of reproduction or replica. Then I picked it up again, maybe it is real? 1 ounce of gold is $1750, and a coin like this would be $2000 or so.

But what would a $2000 gold coin be doing in a box of trinkets? Does not make sense. You don't put such a valuable item along with junk. I tried my cell phone, to look up what the value of this was, but 'No Signal."

I was thinking, you can not print "U.S. Mint" on a coin unless it is real deal, otherwise it would be counterfeiting. I picked it up a third time, saw the ".9999 oz. gold" decided to bid on it. I put it down, but other people noticed my interest and looked at it, too.

Bidding was $20....$25...$30...$35...$40... nothing in that lot was worth more than $10, so was this the real deal... I started to raise my hand, but the auctioneer went "Sold! $40!" I was too late. worrying about spending $40. The auctioneer started to push the baseball cards towards the winning bidder (the auctioneer thought the cards were the most valuable item there), but the winner went, "Oh," then he decided to take the cards, and I breathed a sigh of relief. But then he also searched through the other items and grabbed the gold coin. It was like, he didn't really want the baseball cards (they were worth a couple of dollars, maybe) but took the cards to make the auctioneer happy, because he was getting a good deal on the coin?

Damn! But what was it worth? Finally I got a signal on my phone, and yep, it was the real deal. If I remember correctly, it was this guy:
    (Image upload is not working?)

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...&LH_Complete=1

Only in America can you find a $2000 coin in a box of junk! Did I tell about Dennis and Christine? In January, they went to a yard sale here, and picked up a $20,000 Rolex for $5.

Think I need a better attitude, not bidding, I am just "looking a gift horse in the mouth." Of course, if the other bidder knew it was real, too, then we might have bid back and forth up to $1000 or so..., but I would have lost my nerve at about $400, because I was not sure. and I don't want to spend $400 for a piece of junk.

So, unhappy ending, but happy ending for the other guy. What am I complaining about? I paid $15 for a $1900 watch last year...

I asked one lady at the auction if she would buy a book about (the person I am writing a biography about) and she said, no, but, leaving, I stopped at the garage sale across the street. I asked the girl, she was about 20, six-footer, not fat, not thin, an athlete, probably a basketball player. She said, yes, she would buy it. I asked her, would you get the Kindle or the paperback version? She said she preferred paperback. People still read! I gave her the website, told her it would be 6 months before it hits the bookstore, if all goes well.

If I make $5 a copy on my book, or so the publisher tells me, then I only have to sell 400 to make $2000.
    Last edited by TheInterocitor; 01-06-2020 at 12:12.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheInterocitor For This Useful Post:

Benedikt (02-06-2020), Hans.KK (01-06-2020)