littleangels        English Nanny

Thread: More Radio Tubes

On the Yellow Brick Road, near El Dorado...

More Radio Tubes

Does anybody now why these tubes are listed as 6N3C instead of 6P3S? Okay, that's probably easy, it looks like English letters "N" and "C".

But other listings on Ebay call them 6P3C, they successfully transliterated "П" to a "P" but did not bother with the (Russian) "С".

I am trying to test these, because the (working) 6P3C goes for $5-$10 on Ebay, but the 6P3S can go for $100. They are used in guitar amplifiers, but none of these "enumberations" - 6P3S, 6P3C, or 6N3C - is listed on the scrolling directory of tubes for my very old tubetester. The correct socket is there, but you have to set about a dozen switches, to avoid blasting it with unwanted voltage on the wrong pin. There's no guide on how to set the switches.

sx2-l1600 (10).jpg

sx-l1600.jpg

sx1-l1600 (10).jpg
    Last edited by TheInterocitor; 12-04-2020 at 01:07.
    Have we reached the ultimate stage of absurdity where some people are held responsible for things that happened before they were born, while other people are not held responsible for what they themselves are doing today?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to TheInterocitor For This Useful Post:

americaninmoscow (12-04-2020)

Where do you find this stuff?

Dumb question, but what do these old tubes give you that newer ones can't? A coolness or wow factor?

Quote Originally Posted by americaninmoscow View Post
    Dumb question, but what do these old tubes give you that newer ones can't? A coolness or wow factor?
    I get mostly at auctions, or yard sales, but no more - now all the auctions are on-line, so everyone can see exactly what they are getting. Can't wait to get back to my bargain-finding.

The old tubes are used in sound amplifiers, like Fender, Vox or Kustom, by rock bands. The guitarists swear it gives them a better quality sound. Yes, there's a retro "coolness" factor too.

I have come across old USSR "Sovtek" tubes 3-4 times at auctions over the past few years in Kansas. I have 200-300 old tubes and I could spend the whole day listing and selling them online, but then you have to research and verify each one, it's a lot of work for not much money. In the last batch I got some labeled "Vibrator" my father called then "multivibrator" tubes - they were essential in car radios up through the 1950's. People restoring old cars will pay premium for working mulitvibrator tube.
    Have we reached the ultimate stage of absurdity where some people are held responsible for things that happened before they were born, while other people are not held responsible for what they themselves are doing today?

Quote Originally Posted by americaninmoscow View Post
    When you drive the tubes outside their normal/designed conditions they add distortion to/on the sound, some musicians just loved this, as electronic engineers we had always been fighting this distortion because in all other cases it is highly unwanted, it is a true paradox for sure.

But there is still fools out there that fully believe that tubes is giving the true natural sound reproduction, witch is a huge failure, but "those that believe will find/see/hear the truth" as they say, not that much we can do about that.

And it is not that easy to reproduce a specific distortion because you are basically working your design outside the limits that you are suppose to stay inside, so what works well with one batch of a specific component in your circuit may not work the same with the next batch you get.

There is only one group of people out there that is more crazy than musicians when it comes to their music reproduction gear, and that is the so-called audiophiles, man that are crazy nuts, but if you can stand their stupidity then you can make a decent money by helping them, but is like being a car mechanic, repairing a car while the customer (that knows zero about cars) is standing beside you and tells you you what to do and why.

When it comes to tubes then a number of old cross reference lists is what you need to find out what a given tube can be replaced with/by, and the other way around, it suddenly enhance the usability of a given tube.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hans.KK For This Useful Post:

americaninmoscow (12-04-2020), TheInterocitor (12-04-2020)

I remember when we drove our Fender amps too hard, we had to get repairs, sometimes new tubes, and it was an expensive repair.

One guitarist would bend the neck of his guitar to get vibrato effect. That guitar did not last long.

I've never understood that last 5-10% increase in quality that audiophiles say they get from record players, over digital playback. I just don't hear it.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to TheInterocitor For This Useful Post:

americaninmoscow (12-04-2020)

Specs are here - mid-power tetrode for low-freq amplifiers:
    http://oldradio.qrz.ru/tubes/russian...l/6p3s_2.shtml
    All the world's Kremlin,
    And all the men and women merely agents

11. The Following User Says Thank You to FatAndy For This Useful Post:

TheInterocitor (17-04-2020)

[QUOTE=TheInterocitor;1492239]Does anybody now why these tubes are listed as 6N3C instead of 6P3S? Okay, that's probably easy, it looks like English letters "N" and "C".

there is a factory in SARATOV, the question was asked already here and i also posted the link to the factory. they are STILL producing. and their tubes are highly praised and priced by users of professional and high end amplifyers and the likes. they are going back more and more to -lamps- instead of electronics. here is a link to the site, you might have to dog around though to find the tubes. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Svetlana_(company)
    There is no greater treasure then pleasure....

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Benedikt For This Useful Post:

TheInterocitor (17-04-2020), Uncle Wally (13-04-2020)

[QUOTE=Benedikt;1492280]
    Quote Originally Posted by TheInterocitor View Post
    Does anybody now why these tubes are listed as 6N3C instead of 6P3S? Okay, that's probably easy, it looks like English letters "N" and "C".
    Quote Originally Posted by TheInterocitor View Post

there is a factory in SARATOV, the question was asked already here and i also posted the link to the factory. they are STILL producing. and their tubes are highly praised and priced by users of professional and high end amplifyers and the likes. they are going back more and more to -lamps- instead of electronics. here is a link to the site, you might have to dog around though to find the tubes. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Svetlana_(company)
    That's right and only one of two factories in the world.
    If you trust the government you obviously failed history class. " George Carlin"

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Wally For This Useful Post:

a link for a companyi nthe USA

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sovtek

might make it easier to get something from there?
    There is no greater treasure then pleasure....

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Benedikt For This Useful Post: