littleangels        English Nanny

Thread: Books on the subject of writing

Books on the subject of writing

IMG_9768.jpgIMG_9767.jpgIMG_9766.jpg

Hi,
    I have some books on how to write and so on. I will be happy to swap them or sell them. Photos are in the files.

On the Yellow Brick Road, near El Dorado...
    Did you ever read King's book "On Writing" ?
    Have we reached the ultimate stage of absurdity where some people are held responsible for things that happened before they were born, while other people are not held responsible for what they themselves are doing today?

It's much smarter to read really good writers.
    You might even start thinking about what you have to say that the world really needs to hear that hasn't been said before, better, by somebody else.

I learned more from reading Lewis, Chesterton and Belloc than all of my other supposed education combined.

Why should I want to read books about "how to write" by unknowns with modern educations that didn't educate? Anyone with a real education will know that such books are useless. except maybe for "how to make money from other people who have no idea what good writing is, but wish they could do it".

On the Yellow Brick Road, near El Dorado...
    Quote Originally Posted by rusmeister View Post
    It's much smarter to read really good writers.
    You might even start thinking about what you have to say that the world really needs to hear that hasn't been said before, better, by somebody else.
    I picked up King's book "On Writing" because it's a no-brainer to read a book about how to write, written by the King of Fiction Writers... It just validates all the mechanics of good writing, everything you would learn in a class for writers, anyway. But King says he was doing lines of coke, and swigging alcohol, while writing; too expensive and too illegal for most wannabe authors.

Also, King now consistently violates one of his "golden rules" - "thou shalt not insert your personal (or political) opinions into your tale". King is a Democrat/Progressive, and when his characters espouse progressive views, that's okay, even when his bad guys are always white males and too many non-whites, women and homosexuals are portrayed as victims of white male prejudice, that's okay, too. But when he try to mainstream a phrase such as "Norman had a Republican kind of sneer on his face," or "Ginger lied more often than Lindsey Graham" (the current Republican US senator from South Carolina), that's breaking his own rule, and it has the effect, as he said in his own book "On Writing," of jerking the reader out of the enjoyable tale and back into the mundane real world. The whole purpose of writing fiction is to transport the reader into another world, and leave, temporarily, this one. To suspend reality.

Not a good idea but King nevertheless does not follow his own rules.

I stopped reading King after he wrote three books in a row with these unpleasant "rhetorical ambushes" lying in wait a few hundred pages into the book. You can be a social justice warrior, and try to combine it with horror fiction, it doesn't work for me. Although I may be a hypocrite there, as in my horror novel, which I never published, there is a character who unravels her problems thanks to quasi-identified church methodologies.

The church helped me greatly to become a writer. A simple process, I worked through all my justifications of why I CAN'T write a book... Don't have time? - Schedule an hour a day; don't have writing tools? - Borrow the university's or library's computers; and so on through the list of self-created objections. Reading books on writing is just another justification for delay.

I learned more from reading Lewis, Chesterton and Belloc than all of my other supposed education combined.
    Me, too. My creations have mostly been result of self-taught methodologies or cognitions.

I only read about 30 pages an hour, because I am constantly halting, and analyzing sentence/paragraph structure, description, etc. and word choice. Asking why did the author use "scintillating" instead of "shimmering" etc. It's like the author is teaching me how to write. Sometimes, I write notes in the margin when I get an insight, about structure or what the author is saying that might apply in other realms.

Why should I want to read books about "how to write" by unknowns with modern educations that didn't educate? Anyone with a real education will know that such books are useless. except maybe for "how to make money from other people who have no idea what good writing is, but wish they could do it".
    Yeah, plenty of books like that out there, and about how to engineer sales, with less than insightful content...
    Have we reached the ultimate stage of absurdity where some people are held responsible for things that happened before they were born, while other people are not held responsible for what they themselves are doing today?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to TheInterocitor For This Useful Post:

rusmeister (04-05-2020)