littleangels        English Nanny
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: does Parmesan REALLY have to ocme from italy?

does Parmesan REALLY have to ocme from italy?

https://roscontrol.com/journal/tests...est-parmezana/
    the numbers they got, all local cheeses, are not to high. but one thing at least is goo. no palm oil or other -substitutes- were found in any of the cheeses tested. it is obvious that the taste of milk makes a difference. ripening in a cave or -only- cellar makes also a difference. and of course age. which is a big problem still in Russia. which producer has the money, space and time to keep a few 1000 heads of cheese for 3 or 4 or 5 years? it will come in time...
    There is no greater treasure then pleasure....

Quote Originally Posted by Benedikt View Post
    https://roscontrol.com/journal/tests...est-parmezana/
    the numbers they got, all local cheeses, are not to high. but one thing at least is goo. no palm oil or other -substitutes- were found in any of the cheeses tested. it is obvious that the taste of milk makes a difference. ripening in a cave or -only- cellar makes also a difference. and of course age. which is a big problem still in Russia. which producer has the money, space and time to keep a few 1000 heads of cheese for 3 or 4 or 5 years? it will come in time...
    It never will.

The hard cheese here rots after 2-3 weeks. Something isn't right.

Quote Originally Posted by americaninmoscow View Post
    It never will.

The hard cheese here rots after 2-3 weeks. Something isn't right.
    how and where do you store your cheese?

fridge.

how do you store your cheese? ;b

i currently have a massive crop of basil growing and was looking forward to making/having fresh pesto. but i ran out of good parmesan and had to buy russian stuff. bleh. not only is it tasteless and off color, it just gets moldy after a week in the fridge. its strange. i always bring tons of cheese with me when i fly in. we are talking kilos. and it doesnt get bad. but russian cheese always does after a few weeks. maybe russian cheese is really, really fresh and without perservatives. or maybe western bought cheese is fake ...

i looked it up, cuz maybe i thought i was doing it wrong.

here is what google says-

How long can you keep cheese in the fridge?

about six weeks

Hard Cheeses
    When stored properly in the fridge, an unopened package can last between two and four months. An opened package of Parmesan or block of cheddar, however, is good for about six weeks in the fridge.

Once opened, hard cheese is generally safe to eat for six weeks.

fridge.

how do you store your cheese? ;b

i currently have a massive crop of basil growing and was looking forward to making/having fresh pesto. but i ran out of good parmesan and had to buy russian stuff. bleh. not only is it tasteless and off color, it just gets moldy after a week in the fridge. its strange. i always bring tons of cheese with me when i fly in. we are talking kilos. and it doesnt get bad. but russian cheese always does after a few weeks. maybe russian cheese is really, really fresh and without perservatives. or maybe western bought cheese is fake ...
    no, western cheese is not a fake and Russian cheese is neither. but look at the FIT numbers. that is the -fat in dry mass- that is how the -quality- of cheese is being measured. and to give an -uniform- sort of guide what is fat cheese, low fat cheese, and the likes. if you store cheese in fridge it should be vacuumed.the refrigerator contains moisture and that will of course make mold grow. but the -older- and -dryer - the cheese is, the less mold will grow. Italian Parmesan, because it is also shipped over the world and not kept in best of storage conditions, contains most probably a -mold inhibitor -, the same as most bread mixes have.... that is why bread with these - fancy mixes - will last longer without getting moldy. and that is also the reason why -local - bread has a sell by date of 72 hours... BILLA's house brand bread, has a sell by date of only 2 days, wonder what it all contains, or better not know... hard to find, most probably in METRO only DSHUGAS (ONE SPELLING,- Jshugas might be another one, THERE ARE OTHERS AS WELL) Parmesan from Latvia. we used it on the ships already years ago....http://lifeinriga.com/cheese-latvia/ here is a link and also some pics.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Benedikt For This Useful Post:

Uncle Wally (10-04-2020)

no, western cheese is not a fake and Russian cheese is neither.
    i stopped reading right here.

That's because you're stupid
    If you trust the government you obviously failed history class. " George Carlin"

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Wally For This Useful Post:

Benedikt (11-04-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Wally View Post
    That's because you're stupid
    Right. If you feel Russian cheese is on par with western cheese, I really have no idea what to tell you.

Keep living the dream, man.

Right. If you feel Russian cheese is on par with western cheese, I really have no idea what to tell you.

Keep living the dream, man.
    For your information Italian cheese makers moved to Russia and set up cheese factory here, to get around sanctions. Same goes for German farmers and factories. You can find video on YouTube on how to make parmesan cheese.
    If you trust the government you obviously failed history class. " George Carlin"

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Wally For This Useful Post:

Benedikt (11-04-2020)

Look for the "ungraded" Italian cheese in your local grocery stores,

Look for the "ungraded" Italian cheese in your local grocery stores,
    Not one single person who has money buys Russian made cheese. It's for poor people who want to believe the fantasy that food here is on the same level as the west.

And not one single person who travels abroad buys Russian cheese to take to relatives.

Many people who travel abroad bring cheese back with them. You would know that if you fly and listen to what people talk about.

When was the last time you left Moscow? Or Russia? Do you speak Russian? Can you understand what people around you are talking about?

For your information Italian cheese makers moved to Russia and set up cheese factory here, to get around sanctions. Same goes for German farmers and factories. You can find video on YouTube on how to make parmesan cheese.
    Yes yes yes. A polished turd is still a turd.

Jay's cheeses are the best and are really real.

https://www.cheesefarm.ru/

But the thing is, you will notice how expensive it is. 200 rubles for 100 grams of cheddar? There is no way that the average Russian can regularly purchase that and enjoy it.

It's just math.

Raw Russian milk costs roughly 26 rub a liter.

https://www.clal.it/en/index.php?section=latte_russia

But it's not just raw, you need fresh, quality milk.

Anyways,

Google says-

In general you can make approximately 500 to 700 grams of fresh Mozzarella or Feta from 4 litres of milk. You can make cheese from Appr. 2 litres of milk and you will be getting arround 500 grams of cream cheese. To make 1 kg of hard cheese you will be required 10 litres of milk.

1 kg of hard cheese takes 10 liters of milk, at 26*10=260 rub for milk. Then add in double that for wait time n processing and wait time and double that for profit + taxes and biz upkeep, etc.

So, you can see without cheating, cheese should be about 2000 rub a kilo for simple hard cheese.

But time is massive. Why should Russia wait 1-2 years or more for a good cheddar? Every 5 years there is a crisis. The trick is to get the product to the bare minimum standard and to the market place as quickly as possible. And as cheaply.

So, fillers and oils and other industry tricks are used and boom. You have a product that resembles cheese in name only.

Not one single person who has money buys Russian made cheese. It's for poor people who want to believe the fantasy that food here is on the same level as the west.

And not one single person who travels abroad buys Russian cheese to take to relatives.

Many people who travel abroad bring cheese back with them. You would know that if you fly and listen to what people talk about.

When was the last time you left Moscow? Or Russia? Do you speak Russian? Can you understand what people around you are talking about?
    I pretty much deaf, I don't hear much without a hearing aid.

no one is forcing you, it is your right. though it will give ME no sleepless nights...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast