littleangels        English Nanny
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mayor of New York threatens to permanently close Churches and Synagogues.

On the Yellow Brick Road, near El Dorado...
    Quote Originally Posted by Benedikt View Post
    URL="https://www.wtsp.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/164-low-level-non-violent-inmates-being-released-from-hillsborough-county-jail-because-of-coronavirus/67-3f6e7433-3f01-4e95-8d7f-82ab95f13552"]164-low-level-non-violent-inmates-being-released-from-hillsborough-county-jail-because-of-coronavirus[/URL]

- you do not have permission to open this site-... and then a ton of words and letters. wonder what is so important or secret that i am not allowed to see it?
    I sent email to WTSP, ask about this. I got answer:

"This is just a guess….but Europe has different rules about internet privacy. Most websites in our country use cookies to track when you have visited a webpage. They tend to block US sites because of that."

I think he/she is saying that your ISP is concerned about your privacy?
    If you can't be smart, be the least stupid one in the room!

Quote Originally Posted by TheInterocitor View Post
    Putin is concerned?
    More likely WTSP is refusing / blocking Russian IP addresses.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Hans.KK For This Useful Post:

Armoured (02-04-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Hans.KK View Post
    More likely WTSP is refusing / blocking Russian IP addresses.
    And the irony is that it is a television station licensed in St. Petersburg, albeit the one in Florida

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BigBear For This Useful Post:

Hans.KK (02-04-2020)

The same Sheriff is letting all the criminals out of the jail.

164-low-level-non-violent-inmates-being-released-from-hillsborough-county-jail-because-of-coronavirus

Transforming criminals into victims...
    What's your beef with this? The article is pretty clear. These are 'low level' crimes:
    Either way, who are these people? We found out what they are accused of doing.

"These defendants are the lowest public safety risk," Chronister said. "They were merely sitting in jail because they could not afford to pay the amount it would take to bond out."

Despite the sheriff's reassurance, some people have voiced concerns. So, 10Investigated requested the names and charges for these individuals.

We found most of the charges for these inmates are possession, petit theft and trespassing.

There were a few outliers, like prostitution and delivery of a controlled substance. There was also one case of domestic violence. That case, however, was reduced from a felony.
    So while yes, these are 'criminals', the article itself says most were being held becuase they couldn't afford a bond or penalty. Only a few were outliers.

It's a major risk for disease spread to keep people in a confined space. What's the policy purpose of keeping them in jail and having them end up in hospital or spreading it further? (If you want to argue about individual cases, fine, but at some point you have to let public officials - like law enforcement - decide who is dangerous).

I'm not clear how consistently people in the USA use the term 'jail' vs 'prison.' But in this case - and that it's a sherriff's office - it's worth remembering that jails are for people being held pre-trial, or for very minor offences or sometimes serving out sentences on part-time (like my elderly relative who refused to pay his fine for runngin the red light he insists was green) and things like that.

So no, not violent criminals. And given most awaiting charges, many possibly not even criminals under the law.

Note many jurisidictions looking at the whole bail approach in the USA - what is the point of using money to decide who needs to be kept in jail pending trial? Wouldn't it make more sense to decide it on a pure public safety basis? Most countries don't do this. Some state - I think new jersey - abolished it entirely; as I recall they basically decided it just ended up costing them more money, as they had to pay for the jails and mostly those kept in jail pending trial were mostly just poor.

I sent email to WTSP, ask about this. I got answer:

"This is just a guess….but Europe has different rules about internet privacy. Most websites in our country use cookies to track when you have visited a webpage. They tend to block US sites because of that."

As others wrote, this explanation is probably nonsense. Site blocking Russian IPs. Or possibly non-US IPs.

Quote Originally Posted by Armoured View Post
    As others wrote, this explanation is probably nonsense. Site blocking Russian IPs. Or possibly non-US IPs.
    Actually I looked into this - what they said may be kind-of true, but in reverse. It's most likely them blocking most non-US IPs but especially European ones due to the privacy laws (i.e. they haven't figured out how to turn off their cookies?).

Russian ones often get blocked by simplistic sites because of various attacks. But sometimes also because some otherwise top-shelf comapnies can't figure out Russia is not in the EU.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12