littleangels        English Nanny
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Where do I get my $1000 check?

Quote Originally Posted by seaworld View Post
    Do you know you have to pay Russian taxes and Americanself-employment tax since it is no totalization agreement between US an Russia?
    Quote Originally Posted by TheInterocitor View Post
    I'm in Kansas, but when I was in Russia, I hired an accountant to make sure all my t's were crossed and i's dotted.
    It does not matter who you hired. They probably did not know. Very simple - if you live in Russia and work as self-employed person you pay Russian taxes but as American you have to pay American taxes (self-employment tax) and reconcile income tax (do not have to pay but have to file). There is no totalization agreement between Russia and USA. But you do not need to worry about that now.

On the Yellow Brick Road, near El Dorado...
    It does not matter who you hired. They probably did not know. Very simple - if you live in Russia and work as self-employed person you pay Russian taxes but as American you have to pay American taxes (self-employment tax) and reconcile income tax (do not have to pay but have to file). There is no totalization agreement between Russia and USA. But you do not need to worry about that now.
    What I meant was I hired an accountant to insure my Russian employees were paid according to Russian law, and that all their unemployment, health care, retirement, etc. taxes were being paid. I did not pay myself any salary, thus I was not self-employed.

Had the company become successful, I had planned to make each employee, and myself, a part-owner.
    If you can't be smart, be the least stupid one in the room!

So the Russian, working in America for the summer, because of the Totalization (non)Agreement has to pay the US social taxes (FICA) and Federal tax and State tax and also pay Russian taxes? Looks like in 2018, the US, IRS, changed the exemption from $4500 to $0, and it just applies for foreigners. That is, the first $4500 was (used to be) exempt from federal taxation. But it was deducted from the worker's weekly paycheck at the rate as if the summer worker would be working for the whole year. So, after the summer was over and the Russian worker returned from America, she/he had paid maybe $400 in federal taxes that they could get back if they filed a 1040 by April 15th. But very few Russians knew they could this money back. I did meet one Russian who had worked in the US for the previous summer and got her her $400 back.

So the Russian, working in America for the summer, because of the Totalization (non)Agreement has to pay the US social taxes (FICA) and Federal tax and State tax and also pay Russian taxes? Looks like in 2018, the US, IRS, changed the exemption from $4500 to $0, and it just applies for foreigners. That is, the first $4500 was (used to be) exempt from federal taxation. But it was deducted from the worker's weekly paycheck at the rate as if the summer worker would be working for the whole year. So, after the summer was over and the Russian worker returned from America, she/he had paid maybe $400 in federal taxes that they could get back if they filed a 1040 by April 15th. But very few Russians knew they could this money back. I did meet one Russian who had worked in the US for the previous summer and got her her $400 back.
    No. Russian who just came to America to work for some time is Non Resident (are you talking about student on work and travel?), he does not pay Fica and Medicare. His employer should know that. He only pays income tax.

No. Russian who just came to America to work for some time is Non Resident (are you talking about student on work and travel?), he does not pay Fica and Medicare. His employer should know that. He only pays income tax.
    I'm pretty sure the people on work and travel get a social security number and they can work anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by americaninmoscow View Post
    I'm pretty sure the people on work and travel get a social security number and they can work anywhere.
    No. They can get different SS card. It has a notation - not valid for work. To be able to work with this SS card they have to go through immigration process and receive work permit.

No. They can get different SS card. It has a notation - not valid for work. To be able to work with this SS card they have to go through immigration process and receive work permit.
    Uh. Is that correct? I had a few friends that went thru work and travel and they could either find their own jobs or interview remotely. Most of them did an attraction type gig, but a few did cast food.

Are you suggesting that there are temporary or throwaway social security numbers? I've never heard of that before.

Uh. Is that correct? I had a few friends that went thru work and travel and they could either find their own jobs or interview remotely. Most of them did an attraction type gig, but a few did cast food.

Are you suggesting that there are temporary or throwaway social security numbers? I've never heard of that before.
    I can't see where the SSA would be giving out SS numbers to temporary summer workers, but I know that once the temporary worker gets here, they are free to switch jobs. My Russian friends came over, they were supposed to work for a business in New Jersey, but they didn't like that job and they went to Florida instead, where they found other jobs and finished the summer.

Not only are the SBA and IRS websites stalled or locked down (there is no way to log in or check the progress of your loan/grant request) the amazing $10,000 EIDL Advance has nearly vanished - the revised plan implementation is to dole out $1000 per employee. So for the sole proprietor (one employee) the amount is $1k , not $10k

U.S. Senator Brian Schatz of Hawaii, who serves on the Senate's banking, housing, and urban affairs committee, said the change is the result of high demand for the loans.

DUH! Hey Senator BS, did you know that when you offer people free money, you can expect "high demand" for it?

I think these websites are programmed in COBOL by people with advanced degrees in behavior modification. Government websites are like going to a rent-a-car agency and getting to choose between a used Schwinn and a horse. The horse comes with a free bag of oats. The bicycle comes with a chain lock but no key to operate it.

Never rely on the government - it is like relying on a rubber crutch!

I can't see where the SSA would be giving out SS numbers to temporary summer workers, but I know that once the temporary worker gets here, they are free to switch jobs. My Russian friends came over, they were supposed to work for a business in New Jersey, but they didn't like that job and they went to Florida instead, where they found other jobs and finished the summer.

https://www.interexchange.org/travel...cial-security/

About Your Social Security Number
    Since you will be working in the U.S., you will first need to apply for a Social Security card. If you already have a Social Security number you do not need to apply again. Make sure to bring your card with you to the U.S.

Important: After you apply, it will take 4 to 6 weeks for your Social Security Card to arrive. You are allowed to work while you are waiting for your card. If your employer has questions about your eligibility to work because your card hasn’t arrived, ask him or her to call InterExchange at 1.800.621.1202.

If you need to apply for a first-time Social Security card, you will apply in person at a local Social Security office. Use the Social Security Office Locator, to find the closest office. To apply for your card, you must bring the originals AND two photocopies each of the following documents:

11. The Following User Says Thank You to americaninmoscow For This Useful Post:

TheInterocitor (12-04-2020)

Not only are the SBA and IRS websites stalled or locked down (there is no way to log in or check the progress of your loan/grant request) the amazing $10,000 EIDL Advance has nearly vanished - the revised plan implementation is to dole out $1000 per employee. So for the sole proprietor (one employee) the amount is $1k , not $10k

U.S. Senator Brian Schatz of Hawaii, who serves on the Senate's banking, housing, and urban affairs committee, said the change is the result of high demand for the loans.

DUH! Hey Senator BS, did you know that when you offer people free money, you can expect "high demand" for it?

I think these websites are programmed in COBOL by people with advanced degrees in behavior modification. Government websites are like going to a rent-a-car agency and getting to choose between a used Schwinn and a horse. The horse comes with a free bag of oats. The bicycle comes with a chain lock but no key to operate it.

Never rely on the government - it is like relying on a rubber crutch!
    There was a great article on this on zerohedge. Basically. Chuck Schumer just stole 1 bn USD and no small biz is going yo get any loans, ever.

My sister back in Boston said she $1200 put into her bank account by SS.
    If you trust the government you obviously failed history class. " George Carlin"

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Wally View Post
    My sister back in Boston said she $1200 put into her bank account by SS.
    Two different programs...

Two different programs...
    But that's cool man. I haven't gotten mine yet.

But that's cool man. I haven't gotten mine yet.
    Did you file last year and have your bank listed with IRS for a direct deposit refund?

I have heard IRS won't mail out refund check (for those without DD) until August. I know one person who works there, GS-15, a loud-mouthed, incompetent moron.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast