littleangels        English Nanny
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Feeling Nostalgic

I'm with Uncle Wally who is a man after my own heart. Clean air, long walks with the dog. Nice and quiet. It's good in the Oblast.

Nickicool, I think that many of us stay due to inertia, caused by several factors which are not entirely in our control. One is a Russian spouse, usually a wife, who prefers life in Russia, although she might claim not to. Another is work. In my case, I am an old Russian hand. My contacts and expertise are here and I’m still finding work, although it’s not as well paid as it once was. I am 65 and want to work as long as humanly possible. Russia allows me to do that. Also my projects involve a lot of travel in Europe, which I like. Finally, and most importantly, I have friends here who date back decades. Close friends are more important than anything.

I feel like a diehard expat and will remain one for the duration. You make your bed, you lie in it. I might not live out my days in Russia; my fall back is Spain. But I won’t move permanently to my home country, the US. Visit, yes, but not to live there. This is based on experience; I tried living in the suburbs for about five years after being overseas for a couple of decades and didn’t like it. Nothing wrong with the suburbs in the US, but I felt like a duck out of water. Even worse, my brain missed being in countries where I didn’t speak the language, and living in a country where I did. So I came back and was happy to.

Others I know like the fact that Russia is a country where foreigners are (mostly) fully accepted. Another factor.

Russia is imperfect and doesn’t apologise for it. It is a relaxing place to live once you get used to it. The perfection, or desire to achieve it, in other countries becomes irritating after Russia. That’s an absurd concept, but absurdity also has its merits. I think Uncle Wally knows what I mean.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to xt-tsi For This Useful Post:

Armoured (11-03-2020), bydand (09-03-2020), FatAndy (08-03-2020), nicklcool (08-03-2020), rusmeister (08-03-2020), Uncle Wally (10-03-2020)

Who are all interested to meet up ? And what is the preferred day ? I can manage any day.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to tasel For This Useful Post:

nicklcool (11-03-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by tasel View Post
    Who are all interested to meet up ? And what is the preferred day ? I can manage any day.
    Suggest tomorrow at the Starlite Diner on Oktyabrskaya at 9 am. Anyone interested?

That's bit early I think.

Some are really free. Others - not until the May holidays.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12